X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tree identification quiz.

How many can you ID?
    A couple are represented twice.

Clicking on the full-size images links to the next in the series.
    The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Some people are barking up the wrong tree.
    This quest was NOT treemendously difficult.
    Last edited by Schultzz; 05-17-2016, 01:48 PM.
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

#1 Fraxinus americana
      #2 Pretty sure it is a Picea, probably Picea rubens but could be Picea mariana
      #3 Fraxinus americana
      #4 Tsuga canadensis
      #5 Tsuga canadensis
      #6 Betula papyrifera
      #7 Betula papyrifera
      #8 Ostrya virginiana
      #9 Thuja occidentalis
      #10 Probably also a Picea, again going with Picea rubens but could be Picea mariana
      #11 Betula alleghaniensis
      #12 Fraxinus americana

Not 100% sure on all of these but pretty sure on most of them.

Comment

If you google Fraxinus and Acer sacharum and look at the bark you'll see they can be fairly similar. I thought #3 was Fraxinus too but now I'm not so sure. There is only one Tsuga in the lot AFAIK.

I thought #1 was most likely an Acer rubrum (Red Maple). I had some help from leaves on the ground. :-)

There are two Hemlocks.

Comment

#1 is very ambiguous looking (to me). My first guess is White Ash since we have some here that have done something like that. If I was in the woods and needed to identify that tree before cutting it I would look at the pattern of the branches. White ash and maple of any kind have very distinct branch differences from each other. I often end up having to look at the whole tree, in the woods, or if someone brings me a log to saw and they want to know what it is I can tell once I open it up.
          Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
            If you google Fraxinus and Acer sacharum and look at the bark you'll see they can be fairly similar. I thought #3 was Fraxinus too but now I'm not so sure. There is only one Tsuga in the lot AFAIK.

I thought #1 was most likely an Acer rubrum (Red Maple). I had some help from leaves on the ground. :-)

There are two Hemlocks.
            Only one Tsuga but two hemlocks?

I don't think any of those are maples. Sugar maple can become furrowed with age but it is never that regular. And sugar maple would be unusual to find at a higher elevation on a mountain. Red maple never gets that deeply furrowed.

White ash leaves tend to decompose quickly and aren't visible by spring.

Did you happen to take any photos of the branches? With a clear photo, it would be pretty clear from a glance whether they were ashes or maples.
            Last edited by DSettahr; 05-16-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Elevation was about 1500 feet. There were lots of Maple leaves on the ground.

I only have the bark photos.
              The clues to the Hemlocks (I think) are the reddish tinge to the bark. One is a young Hemlock , which at first I thought was a Red Spruce until I saw the needles.

Comment

I meant the confusion about there being only "one Tsuga" but "two hemlocks." Tsuga is the hemlock genus, so I am still a bit confused by this.

I'm sure there were maples growing in the area. I'm sticking with ash for #1, #3, and #12, though. The characteristic interlacing, even spacing, and deepness of the furrows just screams ash.

#12 could possibly be Quercus rubra, but that would be a little bit of a stretch in terms of both the bark characteristics and the spatial distribution of the species (although not impossible).

Comment

Ash for #1 seems a stretch, but you know way more than I do!
                  I didn't realize that Hemlock is Tsuga sp. I was wondering what you were smoking.
                  I suspect #10 is a Hemlock (based on the needles).

I don't know about #2 although Picea makes most sense.

Comment

#10 was the one I was least sure on. I wouldn't doubt that it was a hemlock. #4 and #5 appear to be hemlocks as well.

As a general rule (and with the exception of a few species with distinct characteristics), I usually don't base tree ID on bark alone- there is just too much variability, and some species that are just too similar to be sure.

Comment

5 is a Red Pine.

Comment

It could be. Something about that bark doesn't seem quite right. Do you have uncropped versions of these photos?

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                          #1 Fraxinus americana
                          #2 Pretty sure it is a Picea, probably Picea rubens but could be Picea mariana
                          #3 Fraxinus americana
                          #4 Tsuga canadensis
                          #5 Tsuga canadensis
                          #6 Betula papyrifera
                          #7 Betula papyrifera
                          #8 Ostrya virginiana
                          #9 Thuja occidentalis
                          #10 Probably also a Picea, again going with Picea rubens but could be Picea mariana
                          #11 Betula alleghaniensis
                          #12 Fraxinus americana

Not 100% sure on all of these but pretty sure on most of them.

They're all Latin to me!

Comment

1 White Pine
                            2 Ginko
                            3 Tree of Heaven
                            4 Joshua
                            5 redwood
                            6 Sequoia
                            7 Dogwood ( you can tell by the bark)
                            8 Chestnut
                            9 Mulberry
                            10 American Elm
                            11 Bald Cypress
                            12 Sugar Pine

How many did I get right?

Comment

Originally posted by dundee View Post
                              1 White Pine
                              2 Ginko
                              3 Tree of Heaven
                              4 Joshua
                              5 redwood
                              6 Sequoia
                              7 Dogwood ( you can tell by the bark)
                              8 Chestnut
                              9 Mulberry
                              10 American Elm
                              11 Bald Cypress
                              12 Sugar Pine

How many did I get right?

Comment

Working...
                              X