Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
tmount
Yellowman

Elizabethtown 5er Newbie

After an aborted attempt of Elizabethtown 4 the other day in which we went up the wrong (Keene Valley) side of the S Boquet, i got to the top and back in less time than it took to whack to the south fork of the South Boquet. Starting on the Northway side of the bridge, it was an easy stroll on an unmarked trail for the 1st 45’, then another 1.5 hrs to the top
The other 4 on this admittedly obscure list are:
Knob Lock (E’town 1): unmarked trail beginning just east of 9N trailheard to Hurricane;
Iron (E’town 2): new trail starting 2 miles so. of E’town on route 9; 1/3 completed, the rest flagged—be sure to keep going until the cairn
Bald (E’town 3): popular, marked trail, New Russia
Bear (E’town 5); old, unmarked logging road, then a whack, beginning south of Sharp Bridge campground and going under the Northway.
The great thing for me about these 5 is they are all within 15’ of home.
tmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Tabe

Wow! I've completed a challenge I didn't know even existed.Nothing to see here just move along folks!
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
nickUSA

Congrats from a fellow 5er (or "Elizabethan"?)
nickUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
TCD

Neat! Nice work.

The Elizabethtown 5er certainly is obscure. I just did a diligent search, and it's actually not published anywhere, and not on any of the many "lists of Adirondack hiking challenges" websites, nor is it linked from any Etown site. I'm curious where this list is maintained.

I've also hiked most of them. I have not been all the way to Iron (walked partway there from route 9, and partway there from Owl Head, both before there was a trail).

The reason I was interested in looking this up is because I'm curious where the directions to these hikes are coming from. Here are some details:

>The good path that starts on the Northway side of the stone bridge actually runs along the North Fork of the Boquet, not the South Fork. There is also a good path along the South Fork, that starts about a mile SE on Route 73, where the South Fork crosses the road. These two paths are frequently mixed up in conversation, and either one would be a good route to Etown #4.

>Knob Lock: the unmarked trail is actually a restoration of the old marked trail that used to exist there. It was last published in the 1947 edition of the ADK hiking guidebook, and had been abandoned for 70(!) years. It was restored a couple years ago as a way to reach the cliffs on the south side of the summit, but the existence of the restored trail is not widely known. I wonder how the "Etown 5er" folks found out about it?

>Bear: There are actually three routes under the Northway that begin just south of Sharp Bridge Campground. Probably the easiest way to Bear is via West Mill Brook, because most of the time you can drive to a point well west of the Northway, and then the walking is on a good old road much of the way. Alternatively, there is a marked trail from Courtney Pond on Rte. 9 to Shingletree Pond, which will get you into that area, but after Shingletree Pond the travel is more of a bushwhack. Finally, directly across from Sharp Bridge Campground is the Lindsay Brook route under the Northway, which will also get you into that area. Again, as with Shingletree, it's a bushwhack once you are past the Northway. Also, even though it's still a good route, it is officially "closed" by NY State due to it sometimes being beaver flooded.

So I am curious which of these routes the Etown 5ers are recommending.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
TCD

Bump.

Tmount, I'm still curious about where the information comes from for the "Etown 5." Can you post a link? Thanks. - Tom
Old 10-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #6
Lonehiker

Well, let's try to organize the information
E1- Knob Lock
E2- Iron
E3- Bald
E4- NE knob of Spotted Mountain
E5- Bear
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E5 resize.jpg (58.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg E5C.jpg (83.1 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Lonehiker; 10-28-2018 at 09:00 PM..
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 AM   #7
TCD

Elizabethtown 4 is the small summit NE of Spotted, along the same ridge. It's located here:

http://www.adirondackrock.com/map.ht...73491287231447

(It's marked on some maps, but not marked on others.)

E4 is very familiar to many bushwhack hikers, because it's a nice route to Grace along the ridge via E4 and Spotted. I've been there a couple times.

So the mountains that make up the E5er are obvious. That was never my question. What I remain curious about is what organization is promoting the list as a hiking challenge, and where the suggested directions are coming from. I live right in the middle of these summits, and I am familiar with the approaches, which prompts my interest.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #8
Lonehiker

The Times Union mentions them, but still isn't your answer yet. Or maybe this is how the idea is getting started.https://www.timesunion.com/sports/ar...ow-5428206.php
Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
TCD

Yep. Thanks. I saw that one early on in my search. None of the links from there gave me anything more. Also, I thought it was a little funny that the article is about Iron, but the "If you go" directions at the bottom are for Bald...

I emailed the article author just now. Of course it's an old article (2014) but if he is still at that email, maybe he can shed some light.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
nickUSA

Turns out that Times Union article was actually written about my very own "Elizabethtown 5er" finish. The author (Herb) and I had climbed Knob Lock (E-town #1) a few months earlier, and I mentioned that I wanted to visit Iron Mountain to finish off a self-created challenge of visiting all of the Elizabethtown peaks. Hence, the trip described in the article. Neither of us had heard of any "official" Elizabethtown Challenge prior to this; we just enjoy exploring obscure mountains.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
Lonehiker

Now, look at what you did!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #12
TCD

Cool, Nick! You are the man! The tiny version of the Marshalls!

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with this - this is doing what is supposedly the states goal, spreading out the users. And these are all great hikes!

Where did you get your directions for these? I'm especially interested in how people know about the Knob Lock trail - that's really only known in the rock climbing community...
Old 10-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #13
nickUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Where did you get your directions for these? I'm especially interested in how people know about the Knob Lock trail - that's really only known in the rock climbing community...
We mostly got directions by looking at a map and saying "let's try this route!"

For Knob Lock, we followed the North Trail to Giant Mountain up until around the ~1500 foot level and then bushwhacked up and along the eastern ridge of the mountain. I remember it being a little gnarly at times. We did come across a few cairns, which we figured were for climbing trails, but we never actually found any herd paths. We descended by following the major brook between Knob Lock & Tripod back to Route 9N. I recall this as being very easy going. Of course, the summit of Knob Lock is spectacular.

For Bear Mountain (E-town #5), I approached via West Mill Brook. Old trip report here.

For E-town #4, it was part of the "standard" bushwhack route up the shoulder of East Dix via Spotted Mountain.

For Iron Mountain, we bushwhacked over from Owl Head, following open woods with nice views along the way.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
TCD

Thanks for the info.

Of all of these, I think Knob Lock has the most impressive summit.

Nice work!
Old 11-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
TBPDPTI

Nick - Get ready to start this challenge all over again. This time will be different, however, since I'll be tagging along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickUSA View Post
We mostly got directions by looking at a map and saying "let's try this route!"

For Knob Lock, we followed the North Trail to Giant Mountain up until around the ~1500 foot level and then bushwhacked up and along the eastern ridge of the mountain. I remember it being a little gnarly at times. We did come across a few cairns, which we figured were for climbing trails, but we never actually found any herd paths. We descended by following the major brook between Knob Lock & Tripod back to Route 9N. I recall this as being very easy going. Of course, the summit of Knob Lock is spectacular.

For Bear Mountain (E-town #5), I approached via West Mill Brook. Old trip report here.

For E-town #4, it was part of the "standard" bushwhack route up the shoulder of East Dix via Spotted Mountain.

For Iron Mountain, we bushwhacked over from Owl Head, following open woods with nice views along the way.

The other 56: Summer: 53/56(1st); 12/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 3/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote