Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
bioguide

Mountain Turkey's

Over the past 3-5 years I've been seeing more turkeys up around Lewey/Indian Lake and Jessup River area. I'm sure they have been migrating up along the route 30 corridor. I've even seen them up along the Perkins Clearing road which, to me, was just odd looking as the bird was walking/feeding in a bog/swampy area. I've always associated the turkey's habitat as being a hedge row, farm field, and highway/road shoulder area. So it was even odder to have come across this photo today from one of my trail cameras (which has been out since 11/17). Mind you this camera is on top of a small mountain on the eastern side of Indian Lake over 1.5 miles from route 30 "as the crow flies" across the lake body of water. Technically its in the Siamese Pond Wilderness Area if that makes any difference. I'm not complaining and I'm sure I can get use to seeing more of them in this area I frequent I just would not have suspected it.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
Buckladd

Same here, pretty much all over the Rt. 28 & Rt. 30 corridor in the central ADKs.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
Green Drake

I saw a small flock near Avalanche pass in ealry May. There was still patchy snow at the time too. I thought that was an odd place for them be at that time of year.
Green Drake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Tug Hill

About 12 years ago I was marking a timber sale on the North Lake easement property near Jocks Brook, the outlet of Honnedaga Lake, when I almost stepped on a hen turkey nesting. I’ve concluded wild turkeys will live anywhere a roughed grouse can live, and maybe even do better. They are also thriving in the core of the Tug Hill Plateau, far from any agricultural land.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
St.Regis

I remember seeing old NYS range maps that excluded the Adirondack and Tug Hill regions as being suitable habitat. Aparently, turkeys are much more adaptable than biologists originally thought.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:41 AM   #6
Buckladd

I've hunted my entire life in some of the mountains that surround Lake George. We've seen turkeys since the 1980's, but it would be sporadic and they would never be in the same places in the spring as they were in the fall.

That is currently not the case. I've killed a mountain bird each of the past three years in the same places I deer hunt in the fall (and messed up on plenty of others). The main factor in these locations, however, is logging. Even on state land with logging close by there are birds regularly using the area, and there's been good mast as well. I just hope it keeps up as the forest matures because just like deer, I'll take a mountain tom over a farm one any day.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Cpswing555

Same Here Guys

On our yearly pilgrimage to FishCreek we saw a bunch of turkeys from Blue Mtn. to FishCreek itself. 3 jakes, 1 tom, 1 hen with poults, 3 hens with poults. I was shocked to see that many. and of course NOO DEER lol
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote