Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
Pauly D.

Pike fishing newbie

I got asked to go on a pike fishing trip next month with a friend. His young son is obsessed with catching a big pike (he lost one last year when it got spooked by the landing net).

I’m looking for advice on tackle and tactics as I’ve not fished specifically for pike before. I’ve caught them while bass fishing but those were a fluke. Do you cast and retrieve or drop shot and wait? Is there a method using a float that works similar to ice fishing?

I know mentioning specific bodies of water is taboo here but if anyone is willing to share anything please PM me. I live close to the Sacandaga but that lake is just too big for a one day outing without prior knowledge of the structure. We were thinking of something more North.

Thank you
Old 08-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
jirwin85

I think a basic google search on tactics and lures will benefit you just as well as any responses you will receive here. My two cents says shallow weedy beds where small baitfish can be found and mimick them. As for a lake to try, well, its no secret that Cranberry Lake holds large and plentiful pike. Nice campground and easy access to boat launches. Good Luck.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I hear the most important thing is to bring lots of Busch Lite.

Pikebuster... We need you...
Old 08-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #4
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I hear the most important thing is to bring lots of Busch Lite.
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Ha! I've got that tactic well covered although I prefer Genesee!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
madison

I caught several pike recently on Floodwood Pond. (Also not giving anything away- Floodwood is a well known pike fishery). Every time I was fishing for bass- once with a bucktail jig, the other times with a small Rapala minnow. Alongside logs and in weedy areas should prove fruitful.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
ewthielking

Cast an earthworm on top of a Lilly pad. Pull it off the pad, and let it sink to mid water. Let off on the bail. When the line runs, set the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ewthielking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Buckladd

Orange spinner bait, steel leader.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
richard1726

# 10 is the most important
1. On beautiful sunny days don’t bother fishing between 7:30 AM and 3:30 PM.
2. To catch big Pike fish with big bait. We like 6” shiners or suckers type of bait.
3. Circle "C" hooks with bobbers -2" diameter, 10" steel leaders. Know one good knot to tie. Match your pole to your the line weight listed on the pole, for a reel $$$ are nice but not required. The more you spend the less you will spend in the long run. (For example the best poles have life time garantees against breakage, the high end Saint Croix rods for example.) we use keepers on our $$$ rods so there is no chance of loosing $300+ worth of rod and Reel. I do like braided line but it can cut you to the bone in a flash with a BIG one on the line. And like every thing we use the line we like with out trying to get a bargain.
4. 5 foot deep water, with a short anchor.
5. Near enough to shore where you will be fishing in the shade. (It's ito hard to find shade when the sun is high in the sky.)
6. Lilly pads near by is a plus. Stream entering lake is also a plus.
7. If you are catching Bass 5lbs+ you are in the right place, catch and let em go.
8. From 48 years of Pike fishing we get a 20 lb.er about every 30 days of fishing. Great eating fresh from the lake only. We never bring any home.
9. We have had the best luck in hard rain. We fish a few feet deeper then.
10. Watch your bobber at all times, with big pike the bobber will SLOWLY go under and disappear. Count 1. 2. 3. AND set the hook - thumbs to your nose.
Have your partner bring in the anchor and get ready with a big net.
11. Get a map of the lake and mark where you catch fish. (We've never caugh big pike 12lb + more than 50 feet from shore except in hard rain.)
This plan seems to work on small 60 acre ponds to lakes the size of Cranberry Lake.
I would head for Cranberry there are some nice tall trees for shade. With map plan your locations to fish, 3:30 to dark and before sun up to 7AM.
Plan ahead.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #9
bluequill

Johnson Silver Minnow, Five of Diamonds and as stated above....orange spinner bait. Middle Saranac has some respectable pike. Fish around rocky areas that have warning buoys.......I don't like steel leaders and 20# hard mono shock leaders work well.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #10
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I'll tell anybody anything about pike fishing! I was always partial to a white spinner bait with 2 silver blades one being a willow leaf. Get the kind with the trailer hook, sometimes they just nip at it. If not that then a red/white daredevil or maybe a big stick bait.

Plenty of lakes with pike, in addition to the already mentioned ones: Fulton chain from old forge pond to 5th lake, middle branch moose river, long lake, tupper, Indian, lewey, fish creek ponds, rollins... the list goes on and on. I'd say 10-20 feet of water near weedbed transitions to deep water. 5-10 feet early in the morning right in the weeds. I can give you very specific places if you're interested in any of these.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #11
Lucky13

The Fulton Chain only has pike because some dbag self managed the lake fishery by putting them in. DEC denied doing it when I spoke with them. They are a scourge on those lakes, please kill all you catch.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
Daves41

Great luck with blue/Black spinnerbaits, also green/bk. Done real well with Chatterbaits, same colors
Daves41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
ADKpikebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

Ha! I've got that tactic well covered although I prefer Genesee!
Lol I love me some genesee too, first things first when fishing for the superior ADK fish is to remember pike are a lot like a woman they’re always hungry and angry so when fishing for them you gotta get in the mind set of what would make the ol’ lady happy. And the answer to that question is dinner and something shinny. I mostly use Mepps Muskie killers and mepps giant killers my favorite colors are gold and orange, I also have had really good luck on big doctor spoons or large live shinners. But just like fishing for any species the key is taking lots of beer because some days the fish just don’t bit and at least you can still catch a buzz.

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #14
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpikebuster View Post
...pike are a lot like a woman they’re always hungry and angry so when fishing for them you gotta get in the mind set of what would make the ol’ lady happy. And the answer to that question is dinner and something shiny.
Not PC, but from a comedy perspective, this is very solid work. I'll probably be condemned for enjoying it!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote