Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
naturegirl7

Xc skiing NW Bay brook

Hi all, I was looking for a relatively easy ski near the Sagamore because we’re planning to go to the ice bar later… I had an idea that maybe it be nice to ski from the fishing access on route 9N, follow the northwest Baybrook and pick up that trail that goes along the tongue shoreline that goes to the point it looks looks pretty flat. Anyone have any thoughts on this? With all the recent melting and refreezing, I’m not sure about the thickness of the ice… I am not sure if there might be blocks of ice jammed up… I don’t remember that Brooke having that much current but who knows after our recent weather!

Also was thinking Amy’s Park might be good with its flat marshy areas… Any other suggestions? Ps We do not like groomed trails
Thanks!
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
Remix

The Tongue Mountain trail that goes along the brook is not very flat; there are a few water crossings, and it has a surprising number of small hills. They are so bothersome after doing the 5 peaks. I suppose a really good skier could use it.

It may be post holed. And there are a few brooks which will thin the ice.

If you ski north on the ice towards Clay Meadows, be advised that there is moving water which will thin the ice

Up at the north end of the lake however, Rogers Rock campground has been open in prior years for skiing along the lake and on the lake. If you get out on the lake somewhat, you can turn around and get nice pictures of the rock. I think its a 30 minute drive up from the fishing area you are speaking of.

Further up the road and on Rt 74 is the Pharoah Lake Wilderness.

My experience is limited because I travel there from Connecticut. Perhaps someone more local can give you better advice.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #3
Bob K

A nearby option is the fairly flat trail (former rd) between Thomas & Cat mtns. Don't bear right up The mtn. The trailhead is just off the rd between exit 24 & Bolton at the crest of the hill. This area well travelled and likely trail broken out. Trail map at Lake George land conservancy web site.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:42 PM   #4
peskypup

I second the idea of Amy's Park. Maybe take the orange trail to the blue trail, then the red trail around the north pond, then maybe back across the mark between the two ponds to pick up the yellow trail back to the parking lot.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote