Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Tomcat

Bear Canister Questions

I'm new to the Daks and have read about Yellow Yellow and getting into bear canisters. I just have some questions on this. I read bits and pieces over time but wanted more on the story. Was Yellow Yellow the only bear to get into the canisters or were her offspring doing it as well? Was it other bears in the region as well? Did this happen many times or just a one time deal? I'm curious because Yellow Yellow was referenced on a different forum about bear canisters an I'd like to know the history with it.

Thanks for any details.
Tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #2
Wldrns

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...-obituary.html

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...eek-bear-facts

http://www.adkforum.com/archive/index.php/t-17847.html

https://gizmodo.com/were-in-a-techno...ood-1682344883

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/25/nyregion/25bear.html

https://rootsrated.com/stories/the-l...-infamous-bear

and of course:
https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7225.html

Last edited by Wldrns; 04-16-2018 at 02:33 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Woodly

And, what do they now consider the best bear proof canister?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Wldrns

If you read the NYSDEC web site, "they" don't recommend any one brand as the best, other than it has to be a hard side commercially made product designated for the purpose, so the ursack and other bag-like products do not qualify to satisfy the regulation.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #5
Woodly

I knew the DEC doesn't and probably wouldn't recommend one but how about everyone else and other organizations?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
I knew the DEC doesn't and probably wouldn't recommend one but how about everyone else and other organizations?
Avoid BearVault- their models of canister are the ones that the bears figured out how to open. According to BearVault, there was at least one other bear in addition to Yellow-Yellow that learned how to open the canisters. There was a warning with this information posted on their website for some time, but it appears to have disappeared with a recent site redesign.

The most common model you'll see in use in the High Peaks is the Garcia canister. As bear canisters sizes go, this one is about a medium-large. It's possible to fit food for 2 people for a weekend in one, but it does take some planning and careful packaging.

There's a bunch of other models available, though- there's a good overview of some of them here: https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/best-bear-canisters
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
dundee

Word has it that Yellow-Yellow taught her cubs to open the Bear Vaults, but I've never been witness. Bear Vaults are fine in other parts of the park that see fewer people than the High Peaks. A good hang in a tree will work just fine in these other areas, but some folks like to take a can along and the BV will be just fine.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #8
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Avoid BearVault- their models of canister are the ones that the bears figured out how to open. According to BearVault, there was at least one other bear in addition to Yellow-Yellow that learned how to open the canisters. There was a warning with this information posted on their website for some time, but it appears to have disappeared with a recent site redesign.

The most common model you'll see in use in the High Peaks is the Garcia canister. As bear canisters sizes go, this one is about a medium-large. It's possible to fit food for 2 people for a weekend in one, but it does take some planning and careful packaging.

There's a bunch of other models available, though- there's a good overview of some of them here: https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/best-bear-canisters
Good extra info people need to know. Thanks for posting that.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
tenderfoot

I have seen clear canisters, like Bear Vault or maybe actual Bear Vaults on display at Adirondack Loj and one of the provincial parks. Yellow-yellow supposedly figured out how to open but the ones on display were chewed through. The Garcia or similar design has always worked best for me.

I'd like to put reflective tape on it to make it easier to find if one of the critters moves it but am hesitant to put anything on it that would provide a grip.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Wldrns

I saw a Garcia model (the heavy solid black one) at the Loj that had been chewed through along an edge by a red squirrel. The guy who rented it reported he observed the animal in action doing the damage over a period of time (couple of days?). IMO he should have been charged for the price of a new canister.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:37 PM   #11
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Word has it that Yellow-Yellow taught her cubs to open the Bear Vaults, but I've never been witness. Bear Vaults are fine in other parts of the park that see fewer people than the High Peaks. A good hang in a tree will work just fine in these other areas, but some folks like to take a can along and the BV will be just fine.
When word of yellow-yellow's abilities were first reported, the statement from dec stated there was no evidence that she had taught her cubs. A few years later in articles the writers stated the opposite. As far as I know, no evidence she taught her cubs the trick was ever gathered.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #12
Grandpa Paddler
Old Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot View Post
I have seen clear canisters, like Bear Vault or maybe actual Bear Vaults on display at Adirondack Loj and one of the provincial parks. Yellow-yellow supposedly figured out how to open but the ones on display were chewed through. The Garcia or similar design has always worked best for me.

I'd like to put reflective tape on it to make it easier to find if one of the critters moves it but am hesitant to put anything on it that would provide a grip.
Blaze orange spray enamel?