Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #21
EagleCrag

Another thought, were you eating any of Jack Links jerky?
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

Buahahahahaha, I've been called a lot of names before, but Al Gore is a new one! Hahahahaha! We were camping about a mile past Helldiver Pond.... I'm headed back tomorrow to see if whatever it was comes back out to play... This time I'll be more prepared!
KIMPDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

And I actually was eating jack links jerky!!! Too funny!
Old 07-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #24
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMPDOG View Post
Buahahahahaha, I've been called a lot of names before, but Al Gore is a new one! Hahahahaha! We were camping about a mile past Helldiver Pond.... I'm headed back tomorrow to see if whatever it was comes back out to play... This time I'll be more prepared!
The man-bear-pig was a South Park episode in which Al Gore tries to convince the world of its existence. I think it was a spoof on Global Warming.

Good luck on your search.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #25
Poleguy03

Where abouts were you in the Plains?
Poleguy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #26
albert

sasquatch! i was in the plains trying to hunt him down this weekend but no signs of him near our tent, i like the flashlight and shotgun idea!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #27

Quote:
That was on the 17th , no report back in 3 days . The mystery continues

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #28
rADK

No one is really pointing this out...This is really serious if (big "if") it is true.

If what's described is accurate then obviously these were humans, and not just "kids messing around" but criminals threatening your safety. A "softball size" rock thrown against a tent is easily a lethal weapon, especially in the backcountry far away from EMS. This kind of **** is why I won't camp unarmed.
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #29
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

My previous message is absolutly true... We were camping in site 44. This past weekend we went back and camped a few spots down the road from 44 and there was no activity. We did go back to 44 and did a complete search of the area. We found many trails that all lead deep into the woods. Heavily walked trails. I don't think a Bigfoot visited us but I do think a hermit might have been messing with us. This past weekend we went armed too! Were headed back up this weekend to explore all the trails behind site 44.... Wish us luck!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #30
Bark Eater Too

There have been infrequent reports of people living in the woods out that way. Some quiet and respectful, others apparently not. Several years ago, during the Wakely Dam Ultra, a disturbed individual appeared from the brush and attacked one of the runners. I've always said that the thing in the woods that we have most to fear are other people!
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #31
madison

As someone who camps in the MRPRA on a fairly regular basis, I'd be interested in knowing more about this incident and the others like it. The idea of a hermit or disturbed individual attacking or messing with campers is a bit disquieting to say the least.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #32
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
..... Three times throughout the night it sprinted infront of the tent (we were inside laying down), we had a rock the size of a softball tossed against the tent, had a log about a foot long and four inches around (piece of our firewood) tossed at the tent, it came wishing feet of us about 10:30 PM while we were sitting at the fire, I got up to grab a bag of peanuts from the chuckbox and it ran back in the thick brush..... It wasn't a small "animal" because of how loud re thumps were.
Please pardon the questions, but I'm curious why not investigate a little more right then and there what is going on?
Too scared perhaps?
Any photos to share to at least back up that you were indeed camping at site #44?

Over the years I've heard many strange noises while sitting by the campfire, or while lying in the tent, and almost always have grabbed my flashlight and went to look, or poked my head out of the tent to see what was happening.

For instance, in the spring of '13, while sleeping in my tent in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, I heard some movement by what seemed like a large animal in the brush not far from my tent. So I got up, grabbed my flashlight, and got out to see what it was, and whatever it was made a mad dash toward the pond and swam away, breathing heavily. My guess was a bear, since I never did get a visual.
Also, last fall, while camping with a friend in a remote spot in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness and enjoying the evening campfire, we heard some movement in the brush from across the creek, followed by loud heavy breathing. (Story Here) Once again, I didn't hesitate to grab my flashlight, and walk out to see what it was, but it apparently made a silent getaway, and I never saw what it was. Again, my best guess was a bear.
Granted, I never had rocks or logs thrown at my tent, but you can bet that I would at least make an effort to see what the heck is going on, but that's just me.

Last edited by Justin; 07-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: link
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #33
geogymn

Justin, You have a dog with you , no? That is a beneficial cushion methinks. Personally I don't believe I would have any problems confronting any nuisance that I had the luck to encounter. And I travel without loyal companion or firearm. If I was with child I might think differently. I know , bold talk for a broken down old man. My point is there is nothing to be scared of in in the woods except maybe some astray Looney toon. But even a looney toon has enough sense to avoid reality. I am with you, all you have to be is real and everything will be ok. Good night!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #34
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Justin, You have a dog with you , no? That is a beneficial cushion methinks.
Yes, but not always, and she's a chicken sh!t.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #35
madison

Justin, the same question occurred to me. I can't imagine a scenario where things are being thrown against my tent, someone/thing is running through my campsite, and thumping loudly mere feet away and I don't investigate thouroughly. Just for peace of mind, if nothing else.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #36
cityboy

I saw an outdated summary (up to 2001) of crime statistics in Federal Parks. Average of about 4,000 per year (14 murders). Of course estimated visitors was over 400 million per year. I'm sure it occurs in the Adirondacks too but I imagine at a much lower rate. Whenever my wife asks me how I can go by myself I say I'd rather take a midnight walk in the woods than downtown.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #37
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Quote:
Yes, but not always, and she's a chicken sh!t.
I hope she doesn't read this forum, you may be in trouble.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #38
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

So, yes I was a bit timid when it came to confronting whatever was messing with us. As for pictures I have a few... I'll have to figure out how to upload them. When these noises were happening I would immediately look out from the tent towards the noises. I would just stare out of the tent for 10-15 minutes at a time... It wouldn't make any noise until my head would hit the pillow. Then I would look again and no noises... What ever it was waited until early in the morning (3-4 AM) before it started running infront of the tent and it didn't hurl the rock or log at the tent. The rock was kinda tossed from a few feet away. I don't believe there was any intent to harm us, just mess with us. The log I believe was tossed a little harder from near the firepit towards the tent but it never hit the tent. I can garuntee this log was to ised at us just because it was a seasons piece of hardwood and it was sitting in the open. All of Friday and Saturday I scavenged all of the wood within 50 yards of the campsite so we would have plenty if wood to burn. After being harassed before we went to bed Saturday night I LOADED up the fire with every piece of wood we had left... There was nothing to burn even remotely close to our site... Lemme find how to upload some picks of our camping trip....
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #39
KIMPDOG
Don't burn the day

Photo of site 44

Here is a photo of site 44
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (157 Bytes, 209 views)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #40
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the reply Kim, unfortunately your image (and Avatar photo) are not uploaded correctly and are not visible.

Did you go back this weekend, anything new to report?

Tags
animals, bigfoot, camping, moose river plains, noises