Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #1
Pathfinder

Good Luck Lake?

Talk to me about this one.

This is a canoe trip.

Wife and I are looking at it for a few days in Mid-late Sept.

Someone from her work said they did it last year and it was "nice." I suspect it was, BUT.....

I'm going to start all the usual research in print form as well as here on line so I'm looking for first-hand observations etc.

It is not written in stone as "the" destination. I've done the Floodwood area solo, she hasn't but is interested based on my trip, so that is also on the possibles list.

Lake Lila last year was a super location and we would like something similar.

Bottom line; we only have a couple days (2, maybe 3 nights to be exact).

Thoughts/ observations?

Thanks in advance.

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
datdweeb

I wouldn't put Good Luck in the same category as Lila and Floodwood. Tends to be more of a party area in summer, close and easy to get to, sites see hard use. Much better to do very early or very late in the season (I camped there when there was still ice floating in water, beautiful lake when you have it to your self!) September may not be too bad, but probably much better after Columbus Day weekend. So, pardon the pun....but....good luck!
datdweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Grey-Jay

IMO, small lalmost pond sized lake and outlet approach so I feel it is a short couple hour paddle and not much else unless you carry to Spectacle Lake for further exploration. Extremely popular is summer and fall weekends, overused, and the few campsites there heavily used by the shoot off fireworks at night crowd. Personal experience. Loud and unruly when camping crowd there. Only camping reason would be if you want to go pickerel fishing for hours on end. Not even 1/1000 in the same league as Lila.

I would revisit myself for a few hour paddle if I saw the parking lot not crazy but would never personally pick it for a camping destination unless climbing the cliffs and a carry to Spectacle Lake were main activities. Then risk the music blaring and fireworks at night as the penalty. This one and Nine Corner Lake are on my list of ughhhh. Unfortunately, it is rather scenic and does have loons but overshadowed by overuse.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Pathfinder

This is what I expected. The folks who told Mrs Pathfinder it was "nice" are the camping party types and not necessarily even "paddlers" as it were.

I was suspect of it but I'm (negatively) judgmental about their style/ ideas of camping/ canoeing. That said, I didn't want to be completely closed minded and just summarily dismiss it.

The interesting thing is that there was little to no information in any of the printed (books/ guides) I own. At best it's a side note in Phil Brown's book, "Adirondack Paddling, 60 great flat water adventures." This led me to think it might be a little-known or, off the radar location that might be worth a look.

So I think I'll scratch that one off the list now and move forward to other options.

Again we are looking for a short but notable destination, so any ideas are welcome.

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Grey-Jay

Private message sent with suggestion.

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 08-22-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote