Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #1
Sinite

Lower Osgood River Access?

Is there any access to the Osgood River between Osgood Pond and Meecham Lake? I am looking at a road on Google maps that ends at the river near Mud Pond. Not sure if it is a public road?
Thanks!
Sinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
NEranger21

Mountain Pond Rd/Hayes Brook Access is the only public rd that will get you close to the Osgood River
Old 08-27-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Sinite

Thanks! I managed to find my copy, of Adirondack Canoe Waters: North Flow which also lists some put in/take out options.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
bluequill

I have not done this but there is a spot off Rt 30 which might suit you.
Less than a mile after passing Slush Pond Rd/ Hays Brook Road heading north on Rt 30 you will see the last DEC sign and eventually posted signs indicating that you are entering private land. Just before leaving state land there are remnants of a trail which descends gradually, going over a couple of blow downs. Eventually (less than a hundred yards) the trail disappears but you can see the Osgood down a very steep section. It may be possible to get to the river here but like I stated, I have yet to try it.

You can always put in at Meacham Lake/ St Regis River (Rt. 30 and Rt. 458) and paddle up and back the Osgood. You will paddle past a nice sandy beach on Meacham that is great for swimming.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble

There's a place on Rte 30 where the highway crosses the Osgood.
Not much of a launch, but a place to put in a canoe.
The Osgood is a meandering stream, not much to see.
There are a couple of ponds, just off the river that hold northern pike.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've never paddled it, but I've heard that the stretch of the Osgood in the vicinity of Hays Brook is generally inaccessible due to the dense alder growth along the river. Apparently there is even a stretch where the river is completely covered by floating bog mats.

I've spoken with someone pretty familiar with that area, and he said that he has yet to meet anyone "who has ever paddled that stretch of the Osgood more than once."
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
There's a place on Rte 30 where the highway crosses the Osgood.
Not much of a launch, but a place to put in a canoe.
The Osgood is a meandering stream, not much to see.
There are a couple of ponds, just off the river that hold northern pike.
Not sure where Rt 30 crosses the Osgood? I don't think it ever leaves the eastern portion of Rt 30.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
Sinite

Ah, well we paddled it last Monday. We carried in from the trail at Mountain Pond because the road side was posted about every 10 feet or so. Even the area where the road comes right up close to the river there was a posted sign on a stick. Behind the sign was a path leading to the river. I think this must be the potential put in mentioned in a response above?
Anyway, we did a some wading through shallows and lifting over blowdowns for the first 1/2 hr, but after that it was pretty open with the exception of several never dams. Alders had been cut back in narrow sections and we saw no floating bog mats.
While I do not care for alder choked paddling, there were plenty of pine covered eskers and open areas that made the paddle worth it. We paddled up to Baker Pond where we camped for the night. We cleaned up some previous camper's trash and rebuilt the fire pit. It was a very pleasant campsite up on an esker. Does not appear to get much use. A good thing considering there is no thunder box and limited cat-hole diggable ground.
We enjoyed this section of the river, but will not likely do it again. Next time we will come down from Meecham and stop at Baker again.