Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Schip

Spread of ticks

I came across this on one of my veterinary pages and I thought it might be of interest to some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticks.jpg (143.0 KB, 236 views)
Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #2
geogymn

Bummer! It is something we have to learn to deal with. Thanks for the illustration!
Old 03-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Tug Hill

Iím not implying that ticks are not a problem, but there are areas that are pretty well tick free.

I am a Forester who is in the field almost every day during spring, summer, and fall, on the Tug Hill Plateau. We manage 30,000 acres in the core of the Plateau, and I set up and Admistration the harvesting operations there. I also hunt and trap there as well for over 40 years. I have killed dozens of deer, and caught hundreds of furbearers, including coyotes and fox and put them up for the global fur market.

I have yet to see a tick of any sort on a Tug Hill deer, and have only seen a handful of dog ticks on any Tug Hill furbearer, and have never had one on me from the Plateau.

With this past winters prolong sub-zero temps, it will be interesting to see if it has or has not affected the tick population this spring ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Terasec

Not saying ticks isnt a problem
But i would question such a chart
20 years ago people werent reporting tick sightings like they do today
Information about Tick and lyme disease connection was just starting to spread among general population
So not sure what information the chart is based on
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
RichieC

Pulled a big tick off of my dog yesterday, was the second this week, but first two since winter started. Not deer ticks... I was hoping for a reprieve. Growing up, I never saw but one tick, and I can recall that one tick, was on the lower eye of a dog back in the 80's... first one I ever saw. Once, a few years ago we pulled 12 off my cat, & now I see them in &^%$#%&^ March.

I have been in the woods my whole life - they were not here in any appreciable numbers till just the. last 10 years or so. Especially if I can recall the one and only one I saw during the first 35 yeas of my life. But then neither were bald eagles and turkeys - perhaps its the DDT being banned.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Woodly

Here in Broome county about 50% of ticks, and there are plenty of them, have Lyme...so it pays to pay attention and use repellants or spray killers but never put Permethrin on your skin, it is a neuro-toxin which is why it is so effective on ticks.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
aft paddle

"With this past winters prolong sub-zero temps, it will be interesting to see if it has or has not affected the tick population this spring ?"

South of Albany on one of the recent warm days was in weedy/brushy area for about 15 minutes and had 4 or 5 deer ticks on my pant legs.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 AM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Here in Broome county about 50% of ticks, and there are plenty of them, have Lyme...so it pays to pay attention and use repellants or spray killers but never put Permethrin on your skin, it is a neuro-toxin which is why it is so effective on ticks.
When I was researching this, I read that the reason you don't put it on your skin is that it doesn't work when you do -- it's rapidly inactivated by the body.

I think they even treat scabies with it in a cream that you are *supposed* to rub all over your body.

That said, in its liquid form it is deadly to fish -- and cats.

I know wikipedia isn't the holy grail, but most of the info seems to jibe with what I originally read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin#cite_note-13

I've been saving my toilet paper tubes all winter -- time to make some tick tubes for the back yard.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
MrKawfey

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...hpZ?li=BBnba9O
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
When I was researching this, I read that the reason you don't put it on your skin is that it doesn't work when you do -- it's rapidly inactivated by the body.

I think they even treat scabies with it in a cream that you are *supposed* to rub all over your body.

That said, in its liquid form it is deadly to fish -- and cats.

I know wikipedia isn't the holy grail, but most of the info seems to jibe with what I originally read. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin#cite_note-13

I've been saving my toilet paper tubes all winter -- time to make some tick tubes for the back yard.
Thanks for that info and link
Old 03-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKawfey View Post
We can only hope and pray those don't spread and are eliminated. We have enough imported problems.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #12
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
"With this past winters prolong sub-zero temps, it will be interesting to see if it has or has not affected the tick population this spring ?"

South of Albany on one of the recent warm days was in weedy/brushy area for about 15 minutes and had 4 or 5 deer ticks on my pant legs.
Thatís south of Albany, here on the plateau and the Adkís We had at least a 2 week stretch where the everyday morning temps were -20 to -40 , with below average snow cover. So I think it will be interesting to see if that had any affect on the ticks ?
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
That’s south of Albany, here on the plateau and the Adk’s We had at least a 2 week stretch where the everyday morning temps were -20 to -40 , with below average snow cover. So I think it will be interesting to see if that had any affect on the ticks ?
Unfortunately we also had a rather deep snowpack in the Tug Hill area during those extremely cold temperatures. It is said that the insulation provided by deep snow mitigates what might otherwise have been any negative effect on ticks by those cold temps.

I was on the SAR incident in Thacher State Park a short distance west of Albany two weeks ago. We trudged and crawled through a lot of snowless ground in tall grass and thick underbrush. I did not notice any ticks on me or my clothing after I got home.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post

And I'm here to tell you that it works!!! It probably cut our tick problem by 50%. I'm going to re-stock my woods perimeter as soon as the weather breaks.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
sleeping lion

My daughter was telling me today about using peppermint oil to remove ticks. Anyone else tried this? I've used it as a mouse repellent, has anyone tried this as a tick repellent?
sleeping lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping lion View Post
My daughter was telling me today about using peppermint oil to remove ticks. Anyone else tried this? I've used it as a mouse repellent, has anyone tried this as a tick repellent?
I have friends who swear by it but I've never used it.

Is it peppermint oil that attracts bears? If so I'm not sure the trade off would be beneficial
Old 03-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #17
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping lion View Post
I tried it once because I saw on the internet that it will cause them to back out. Didnít work for me. Left it on there for five minutes and he didnít give a crap. Had to get him out with tweezers.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #18
geogymn

I read somewhere that using the peppermint oil isn't a good technique as the tick will regurgitate before backing out. Frustrating dilemma we found ourselves in.