• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet guideboat Jhomer!
    " A Trout is just too damn valuable to be caught only once."
    Lee Wulff

Comment

Here is my boat with my 7yr old son & fishin partner!
      Attached Files

Comment

This thread has gone stale....

Some photos of my K19:

Early on

A little later

Later still

Many steps along the way

Painting the top side

Rigging nearly done

On Sacandaga Lake

On Harris

For those that care;
        OAL 19'2"
        Beam 7'1'
        Draft 5"/4'2"
        Wt 400 Lb
        Sail Main & Jib 175 sq ft
        Spinnaker 175 sq ft

Comment

Thanks, backwoodsman...
          I was looking for a modern, high performance design with enough room in the cockpit to avoid banging my ankles on a barney post. I ended up with all that and a bag of chips.
          Unfortunately, the boat is so powerful, that I have no hope of single handing it. On a good day, it requires 3 men to keep it flat.
          But on the plus side, my son helped from the time he was 8 years old, and learned many valuable lessons about perserverance, tenacity, and dealing with set backs and unforeseen difficulties. Oh, and he got really good with resin and glass...

Comment

Old fiberglass tandem that I used for years
            IMG_0023.jpg
            Homemade solo on Lows lake
            IMG_4000.jpg

Comment

My father and I share this Mad River
              IMG_3996.jpg
              A better picture of my Solo
              IMG_3984.jpg

Comment

Nice stuff, Skinn!!
                Now how about the details...I can see it's stripped, but what design, what weight, materials, etc.

Comment

Thanks stripperguy, it is hard to say the style. My father has had different plans kicking around for probably 40 years and he just modifies them to fit. We were going for a pack boat style and ended up at 12' and about 35 lbs. It is cedar strip and had a natural finish until a few years ago. The fiberglass we used was some old leftover resin from another canoe project. Something weird happend with it and it left dark liver spot type of stains on the outside from sitting in the sun. When I stripped off the poly and fixed some cracks the only way to get through the dark brown spots was to sand a lot of wood away. That is when I decided since it is primarily a utility boat it would get a nice green paint job!

This was a father son type project that we did around 20 years ago (man I'm getting old!). My Dad's excuse for building was that my Mom needed a canoe, she has no interest in soloing. Since I used it most, when I bought a house I took it home with me! We had already built a half dozen others, I will need to search for pictures of them. They were all purpose built for our trips, some wider, some longer, a nice 14' solo that was lost when my sister and her husband split (long story). Anyway I have a 15' Cedar strip tandem that gets used occasionally that is in need of some repair and my father still has a stripper he made out of pine that is beat to heck but has been up the Oswegatchie river more times than I could count!

Comment

Here are some of the dark spots, the only way to get them out was to sand through all the glass and into the wood a good bit. Since I had no plans on reglassing the entire boat I just fixed the cracks and painted it. This boat is a wonderful paddler but it was never intended as a show boat.

IMG_1351.jpg

Comment

Stripperguy that is a gorgeous sailboat you built. I have thought about building one to play around on the Hudson with near my home. It will not be anywhere near as show quality as yours though! I Need it to be a single handle capable boat though. Most of my sailing will be just me out for playing in the afternoons. I have two young daughters that for now would be too little to help much. We will see what the future holds!

Comment

That particular design is called a K19, dreamed up by Anthony C. Gondola, N.A.
                        His company is called Northwest Marine Design. Pretty sure he is still selling plan sets. He had many high performance designs, some larger, most smaller than the K19.
                        Here is his site:

Comment

MDB's new Swift Adirondack 12, and my DY trying to sneak into the photo too

We've got a lot of new members here, surely you must have photos of your boats...

Comment

My "new " ride. It needs a little work. Circa 1885, JR Robertson( we think. Its got some Gerrish stuff). It was on its way to the dump when we spotted it and seized ownership. Edit. turns out it may be an early Boston courting canoe. Not the absence of a thwart and the presence of some fittings that supported metal arches. Yes this was a canoe for "fooling around". Who said that Canadians started that? The heyday of the courting canoe were in the Boston area.

[IMG][/IMG]
                            Last edited by yellowcanoe; 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I'll bite...

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                                Here's a view from behind showing that beautiful hull...Oooh, I love that boat!!
                                Wow - I can see the tumblehome in that picture. The one you posted on the canoe design thread didn't show it very well.

That thing looks extreme!

Comment

Working...
                                X