X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilcox Lake
    Attached Files

Comment

Here's my solo whitewater boat...not a stripper, but ideal for heavy water.

Comment

Got board and dredged up this thread today. Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I built this last winter and got in a few good trips over the summer. My new years resolution was to get out a lot more this year, so hopefully you'll see me out there.

Going up and down the carpeted boat ramps wore holes in the bow and stern of the boat. Before the ice breaks up, I'll be coating the bottom few inches with truck bed-liner (the smooth kind) and some brass shoes.

Comment

First photo is at the start of the 90 Miler early morning Guideboat in Old Forge.

2'nd is one I just came across recently after all these years. This was Spring Break from Paul Smiths College 1970 on the Raquette River coming back down from the Cold River. 44 years ago, wool, flannel no PFD and I had hair.

John M.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Connecticut Yankee; 02-10-2014, 11:41 PM.
          Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

Comment

i've been here...i've been there
              Attached Files
              in memory of Jimmy Johnson, an Adirondack Legend

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "

Comment

While not self-propelled watercraft on a wilderness pond, I think these qualify for this category.
                Attached Files
                Tick Magnet

Comment

Vtflyfish, circa 1977 in my newly completed stripper. I still have that boat.
                  Attached Files
                  Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

Originally posted by vtflyfish View Post
                    Vtflyfish, circa 1977 in my newly completed stripper. I still have that boat.
                    You've been holding out!! Any more photos of that boat? What about some details? You can't just tease us...

Comment

• Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                      You've been holding out!! Any more photos of that boat? What about some details? You can't just tease us...
                      I'll scan a few photo's tonight. It's an 18' Lew Miller design that was featured in Canoe magazine. I had zero experience building boats but was young and enthusiastic. The project took all summer and the pic you see was its maiden voyage on Maine's Moose River.

The major mistake I made (not knowing any better) was using vinyl-ester resin. It went on ripply was absolute hell to sand smooth. That may be a blessing now because I'm sure the old stuff will come off with no more than a putty knife. Re skinning is Project 356-B in the lineup, right after painting the house this summer...

Comment

• From 2007. Northwest Ontario. Is that too OT?

The best, the most successful adventurer, is the one having the most fun.

Comment

• not much of a boat, but a great view
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
                            OK, here are a few pics of the canoe and a kayak I designed and built in 1992, the winter I tore my Achilles tendon and needed something to do. The kayak is pretty fast...
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Clear SOF

Here is a photo of a Skin On Frame I built last winter with a twist.

All traditional construction on the frame , no screws, nails, glue, but rather trunnels and lashings. The skin is 20mm vinyl like that on the walls of a party tent. Plenty strong but not as tough as ballistic nylon obviously, but then I mostly use this boat lake and easy river paddling. When I finished the frame, I realized that the fame is the boat, and didn't want to cover up the work. I'd seen a couple photos on the net of kayaks covered this way but no real instructions, just had to figure it out.
                              Only problem with the boat is at the put in, if anyone is there you have to answer lots of questions about the boat --- yes it's home made ---yes it floats --- etc.

John M.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Connecticut Yankee; 02-17-2014, 12:27 AM.
                              Because It's There, and it may not be tomorrow

Comment

• VT,
                                Great photos...I'll have to scan some of my old prints too...
                                The first built I built was with a buddy, we had many wrinkles and bubbles too, and we used polyester resin, not the best. He still has and uses that boat, built in '78.
                                And your kayak looks great too. Nice stuff.

CTY,
                                I have been toying with the idea of a SOF kayak for MDB...what's the length and weight of your mylar boat? She wants something around 12 to 14 ft, and as light as possible. I'm thinking carbon fiber over foam ribs and stringers.
                                I need just need more free time.

Comment

Working...
                                X