Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #1
cuterocky
Kalie

Stashing skis to hike

What is the protocol for stashing your skis when you switch to hike? Do you just leave them up against a tree near the trail? Hide them a little further into the woods?

For example, in a few weeks I hope to ski up Lake Road to Lower Ausable Lake and then take the short hike to Indian Head and/or Fish Hawk Cliffs as my introduction to Adirondack cross-country skiing. If all goes well, my next adventure would be to ski up the Whiteface Memorial Highway and then hike to the summit of Whiteface and/or Esther. Where would be the best place to leave my skis while I'm hiking for these types of trips?
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #2
montcalm
Mobster

How nice are your skis?

I wouldn't go to too much trouble to hide them because someone will see your footprints anyway... and if it's snowing you may not be able to find them again!

To me it's like leaving your tent in designated site - someone could take, but likely they won't want to carry your skis out (if they have ski boots on likely they'll at least leave you the skis they had )
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Bob K

Done it many times. Worry more about them getting snow covered or sliding away.

At Whiteface, where the hiking trail meets the road (300 yds from the castle) there is a rock wall. You can ditch them there or by the castle if you ski to there for the final walk up to the summit. Whiteface isn't difficult but watch for the bare spots skiing down. Surprising how fast skis will slow down when on asphalt - some "face plant" potential to watch for.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:14 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I did it multiple times while working on the Winter 46. I just picked a tree that I could easily remember, and left the skis leaning up against the backside of the tree.

For Whiteface, I don't think I even bothered to hide the skis, as the staircase to the summit is fairly short and I was the only person around. I didn't also do Esther, though.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:27 PM   #5
randomscooter
Native Earthling

I'd be shocked if anyone bothered them.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
cuterocky
Kalie

I'm not too concerned about anyone bothering my skis, especially when they'd have to lug them out with them. I was more curious if there were any preferred methods of where to leave them and whatnot. Seems that I just need to find a good tree to lean them up against and remember where I put them. Thanks for the responses!
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Years ago my father used to hang his skis from a tree limb with a length of para-cord, in the shade, and above the snowpack, so as not to disrupt the perfect wax combo that he had applied on his skis. Not sure if there's any truth to this, but he was always faster than I, eapecially after stashing our skis for a hike.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
nutmeg creeker

Best not to leave them in direct sunlight. If you have a gps, mark the spot. There's usually some "drift," but you should be close enough.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
cuterocky
Kalie

I don't know if I'll go as far as hanging my skis from a tree but I was definitely thinking about marking a waypoint on my GPS to fall back on if I have issues finding where I left them Thanks again for the suggestions!
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...