Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
46erJim

Question 2009 NPT hike

I am planning on hiking the length of the NPT this year. It will not be a fast hike. As a photographer I do not share the opinion expressed in the 3 day hike thread that "if you've seen one maple tree, you've seen them all". I would like to form an acquaintance with some of the more interesting ones along the way.

I haven't ruled out a thru, but my hike will probably be in 2 sections, Northville to Rt. 28, then Rt. 28 to LP, probably in August. There will be lots of photography time and I'm 64 so I don't hike at warp speed anyway (never did). I'm thinking 5 days per section, perhaps only 4, possibly 6. Hey, I'm retired, what's the hurry?

Object? A book I've been thinking about for several years. For that I'd also like to learn the local history of the areas the NPT passes through. If anyone can recommend resources of that type, names of books, etc,. and where I can find them, I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
fvrwld

French Louie is a good book for the West Canada Region.

Also..the Adirondack Museum has a library/archive. I bet you'll find a lot there.
http://www.adkmuseum.org/discover_an..._and_research/
Old 04-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46erJim View Post
I am planning on hiking the length of the NPT this year. It will not be a fast hike. As a photographer I do not share the opinion expressed in the 3 day hike thread that "if you've seen one maple tree, you've seen them all". I would like to form an acquaintance with some of the more interesting ones along the way.

I haven't ruled out a thru, but my hike will probably be in 2 sections, Northville to Rt. 28, then Rt. 28 to LP, probably in August. There will be lots of photography time and I'm 64 so I don't hike at warp speed anyway (never did). I'm thinking 5 days per section, perhaps only 4, possibly 6. Hey, I'm retired, what's the hurry?

Object? A book I've been thinking about for several years. For that I'd also like to learn the local history of the areas the NPT passes through. If anyone can recommend resources of that type, names of books, etc,. and where I can find them, I'd appreciate it.
Our kind of thruhike! We're of similar age and interests, planning a long NPT thuhike for around the same time. Perhaps we can stay in touch and share details as we get closer.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Our kind of thruhike! We're of similar age and interests, planning a long NPT thuhike for around the same time. Perhaps we can stay in touch and share details as we get closer.

Dick
GEEZERS
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
uberTurtle
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
GEEZERS
Ahem......isn't there something about pots and kettles that should be said here?

Enjoy your hike.......hikes are kinda like cats - lots of ways to skin them.
uberTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
46erJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post

Dick
I wouldn't mind company.

Jim
Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Boreal62

2009 npt hike

46er Jim,

I love your hiking philosophy. I think that a wilderness trail, as the NPT is, lends it self very much to slow hiking and "smelling the roses" and appreciating the uniqueness of each Maple. Have you done all the 46ers? as your handle suggests?

I am also planning to thru hike the NPT this year..probably in August or perhaps in July if I just can't wait any longer. I am in my 40's but always a slowish hiker.

Have you done much photography in your time? Possibly borderline pro if you are putting a book together?

You said "..I am retired so what's the hurry?" Heck, I have been saying what's the hurry since I was in my late teens!!

Boreal62 (David)
Boreal62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #8
eArThworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46erJim View Post
I am planning on hiking the length of the NPT this year. It will not be a fast hike. ...
Just sauntering along, eh Jim? Can you guess how jealous I am?! And a book sounds VERY good...you know me and books.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Life with Noah buy William J O Hern is a excellent book on the Duckhole area an the hermitage, When you get to the hermitage There will be a marker on a tree a tribute to Noah, on the backside of that tree at eye level there was a cross carved in it, this marks where Red Smith's ashes are at the base of that tree, Go down to the river an see the remains of Big dam then walk up the river a hundred yards an look at the views of the sewards with both of there slides, Few people take the time to do it. Duckhole, is awesome place, enjoy it while the dam is still there,
If you have any questions about the area pm me

Bob
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Frosty
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
GEEZERS
Geezers rule!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Neil
Kayak-46

At what age does one enter geezerdom?

Or is it a state of mind? Ie. When all the maple trees start looking different?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
At what age does one enter geezerdom?

Or is it a state of mind? Ie. When all the maple trees start looking different?
No when the maple trees start looking sexy.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Neil
Kayak-46

Each of these Maples is different, I'm sure. However, I didn't have my scanning electron microscope in my pack so I was unable to catalog the differences.

They sure as hell don't look sexy to me so I guess geezerdom is safely out of reach.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 AM   #14
Frosty
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Each of these Maples is different, I'm sure. However, I didn't have my scanning electron microscope in my pack so I was unable to catalog the differences.

They sure as hell don't look sexy to me so I guess geezerdom is safely out of reach.

OMG! Do you see the trunk on that birch? Wow! Is that hot or what?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Judgeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
OMG! Do you see the trunk on that birch? Wow! Is that hot or what?
I may be 57...however, after Frosty's post I will never apply for Geezer status.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Good NPT History books (some of which have already been mentioned):

Adirondack French Louie: Early Life in the North Woods, by Harvey L. Dunham
Life With Noah: Stories and Adventures of Richard Smith with Noah John Rondeau, as told to William J. O'Hern
Lumberjack Sky Pilot, by Frank A. Reed
Excuse Me, Sir... Your Socks Are On Fire, by Larry Weill
Pardon Me, Sir... There's a Moose in Your Tent, by Larry Weill
Adirondack Forest and Stream: An Outdoorsman's Reader, by Donald Wharton
Backwoods Tales: Adirondack Reader II, by Donald Wharton

The majority of these are focused (at least in part) on the West Canada Lakes region, which the NPT goes right smack through the center of.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote