Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
MaximusFunk24

places to ski near Plattsburgh

Was wondering if anyone knew of good places for short XC ski trips close to Plattsburgh?

So far I have:
Valcour Island
Schuyler Island
Point Au Rouche
Ausable Point campground
Terry Mountain
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
mothermenke

Not a huge area, but pretty close to P-burgh:

http://www.newlandtrust.org/map-and-directions/
mothermenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
streamer

I see lots of ski trails on the blue trails behind the HS/Fieldhouse while out with the dogs. There are many loops out there so you can make it as long or short as you please. The ice above the dam is very solid also.
streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The Whiteface Toll Road is only about a 50 minute drive from Plattsburgh.

If you're an expert skier, the jeep trail up the south side of Poke-o-moonshine Mountain could make for a nice ski trip.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
MaximusFunk24

I've checked out the New Land Trust, it is very nice there with diverse scenery from meadows to hardwoods to spruce groves.

I didn't know there were trails behind the High School, that sound like exactly what I am looking for, something quick and fun for an hour or so after work to satisfy me until the weekend.

I have never been up the back side of Poke-o-Moonshine, just the old trail up the front. I doubt I am ready for that, this is my first season skiing. The steepest trip I have done so far is the trail up to the Placid lean-to.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

If you're willing to make the drive, and have the appropriate clothing for a High Peak in winter, check out the toll road up Whiteface, then. It's a very non-technical ascent and descent- the road is so well graded that you generally still need to exert effort to go downhill (but it is still easier than going up hill). Plus it is nice and wide, so there is plenty of room to maneuver.

The main thing to consider is that you'll be pretty remote and possibly very exposed to the weather near the summit. Make sure you've got plenty of warm layers, and don't be afraid to turn back if doing so is warranted by the conditions. You also don't need to go all the way to the summit to take advantage of the views, which you begin to encounter about halfway up the road.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
Rusty and the Maniac

The golf courses are where i go when i dont have time/ambition to drive farther, the landtrust is great, valcour also has some fun ups n downs, ausable poiint/ pr au roche is always bootpacked/ postholed so i dont go out there much, same as the bluetrails, they're usually not a fun ski d/t bootpacking. The golfcourses usually have good set track and are good for skating if thats your thing.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
MaximusFunk24

oh, thats a good idea. The only one I know of is Bluff Point. Is that one that allows skiing, and are there any others?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
Fisheater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post

If you're an expert skier, the jeep trail up the south side of Poke-o-moonshine Mountain could make for a nice ski trip.
D,
Just tell me if I imagine this properly. There is a jeep trail switch backing up the south side of the mountain (I really prefer northern exposures, but that's just the powder lover in me). You ski, or skin up noting the chutes or skiably open places on the way up. Then you ski these shots down the mountain, hitting the jeep trail as necessary in between. It sure has me dreaming
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheater View Post
D,
Just tell me if I imagine this properly. There is a jeep trail switch backing up the south side of the mountain (I really prefer northern exposures, but that's just the powder lover in me). You ski, or skin up noting the chutes or skiably open places on the way up. Then you ski these shots down the mountain, hitting the jeep trail as necessary in between. It sure has me dreaming
It doesn't really switchback, and its got some steep spots, but it's no where near as steep as the trail from the campground is. If you look on the topographic map, you'll see it. It was an unmarked trail until recently, but the state just put in a new trailhead and re-routed the first tenth of a mile off of private land.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Fisheater

Thank you for sharing. I found this site last year researching backcountry skis and I am enjoy checking in, and learning about Adirondack recreation. I skied Vermont once years ago, but for now I live my Adirondack fantasies through these pages ( I know it is the Green Mountains in Vermont). I figured I would share a topo link to my local area. I live in an area of glacially deposited hills. Here's my local trails http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=42.67977,...%20County%20MI
Fisheater is offline   Reply With Quote