Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
MaximusFunk24

3 pin anatomy question

I was wondering what the name is for the optional little pads that go right behind the binding under the ball of your foot but in front of the heel plate? I am trying to shop for them online, but havnt had any luck with guessing what they are called.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
Rickster

Installed hundreds of them BITD, and can't for the life of me remember if they had any name other than anti icing pads. Not many 75mm bindings even come with them anymore. Teflon tape will do the same, as will some heavy packing tape. A coating of the new glide wax wipes will shed snow on the top sheet as well.
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
MaximusFunk24

One of my sets of ski's has boot tread pattern worn right through where the ball of the foot goes. I can see the wood under it. I lathered it in epoxy, but after about a dozen trips that is starting to wear off too. I was hoping to find some of the rubber stick on pads to keep it from getting worse.

I might try making my own, I havnt found any for sale without buying the whole binding set.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Depending on what type of skiing you do and how much you want to spend, have you thought about installing a binding riser?
You can purchase one such as Voile 3-Pin Cable Traverse Riser (current model, or look for an older discontinued model).
If you're handy with tools, you can make one out of HDPE sheet (an old cutting board) or some other material. (if you look around on the net, there's plenty of home brew examples)
You do not necessarily need to install a hill riser bar (as pictured on Voile model) but they do come in handy if you climb with skins.
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote