Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
jensuydam

Anyone camped at Eighth Lake Campground before?

Hi! I'm new to the forum and am LOVING the wonderful resources here! So much information!

My husband and I are currently planning a mid-May camping trip with our dog and are looking at waterfront sites at Eighth Lake (not the Seventh Lake end). Has anyone camped at those sites before? Wondering how big they are, how accessible the water is, privacy, etc. There's NOTHING that I can find for reviews on this place.. So I'd love to hear about some personal experiences here!

Thank you!
jensuydam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensuydam View Post
Hi! I'm new to the forum and am LOVING the wonderful resources here! So much information!

My husband and I are currently planning a mid-May camping trip with our dog and are looking at waterfront sites at Eighth Lake (not the Seventh Lake end). Has anyone camped at those sites before? Wondering how big they are, how accessible the water is, privacy, etc. There's NOTHING that I can find for reviews on this place.. So I'd love to hear about some personal experiences here!

Thank you!
Never stayed there, but carried canoes on the paved road through the middle of the campground for many years on the 90-miler canoe race. It is a huge campground in a nice setting under full canopy of trees, but like most campgrounds of this type, the sites seem to be packed quite close together. There are many miles of remote hiking trails easily accessible from the campground. I don't know about any waterfront sites actually on the water, but access to the water is easy. There are a couple of primitive sites and a lean-to on an island on 8th Lake, not part of the campground itself. You should know that middle-late May risks dense hoards of biting black flies.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

Which you can take steps about to prevent total misery.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
daxs

I stayed there several years ago. It was September and not very crowded. I launched my kayak from the beach/launch area. The lake is not that large to paddle. There were loons on the lake.
daxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Tiredlegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensuydam View Post

Thank you!
Here is a website with lots of pictures of various campgrounds in the ADK.
http://fishcreekpond.com/campsitephotos.php
Tiredlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
timmedee

I go there every year. The further down the Eighth Lake loop you go, the better the sites. They are all large enough for a full size camper, our pop up fit in there with no issues. We were able to leave our kayaks on the waters edge from our site last year, it was only steps to the campsite. It can be a bit uncomfortable if a breeze picks up though. You can see other sites through the trees but there is a fair bit of privacy. From a campground perspective, they offer some of the more secluded campsites from the several places I have been. I have been going here for years and would recommend it. Never been here in May though, can't comment on the black flies. I tend to be there later in the spring.
timmedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
timmedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredlegs View Post
Here is a website with lots of pictures of various campgrounds in the ADK.
http://fishcreekpond.com/campsitephotos.php
Awesome Website! Thanks!!!
timmedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
wellsley

I don't believe the park opens until just before memorial day weekend. I camp there usually every year. But not until late summer or fall. Most of the water front site will do. I bring my crestliner fishhawk and fish for landlocks, lake trout and rainbows. It seems hit or miss when it comes to fishing. Nice kayaking wind has to really be blowing to affect it. Most lake front sites have room to beach boat. Anything else you can think of just asked.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
There are a couple of primitive sites and a lean-to on an island on 8th Lake, not part of the campground itself.
I thought the lean-to on the 8th Lake Island was day use only, no camping permitted there? I'm pretty sure that's written into the Moose River Plains UMP.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I just checked the UMP. It's been revised since I last read it. I think I read a draft, what is posted on the DEC's website now is the finalized version.

Anyways, apparently the plan now is to remove the 8th lake island lean-to and close all campsites on the island, due to all of the adverse camping impacts the island has sustained.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Anyways, apparently the plan now is to remove the 8th lake island lean-to and close all campsites on the island, due to all of the adverse camping impacts the island has sustained.
As is the case with all lean-tos that are either not in compliance, or are damaged and deteriorating with age. The Lean2Rescue team is moving as fast as they can on many of these. The Henderson Lake one was dismantled and rebuilt 150 feet away from the old site just last week, Wolfjaw was done a month earlier. More to follow very soon.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
madmike

8th lake island

"all of the adverse camping impacts the island has sustained."

Too bad. I enjoyed a no impact night on the exposed rock, under the stars in my bivy. No impact. No fire, litter, noise, or footprints.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
jensuydam

Thanks for all of the info, everyone! Turns out we changed our site number and will be staying on the Seventh Lake Loop, waterfront at site 114. Can't wait!! I'm hoping the chill over the next couple of days (with ADK overnight temps in the 20s) will drastically reduce the change of black flies this coming weekend. Either way, it'll be an adventure! The forecast is looking great!
jensuydam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
RichieC

Not to hijack the thread... but a quick question.
Several years ago, we stayed at a brand new lean-to on the north end of Henderson right next to a small inlet and the Indian Pass Trail, we wanted to paddle Duck Hole before they dismantled the dam there. (We were successful, glad we made the decision to go when we did, not too long after Mother Nature did it for them). Was this the lean-to you refer to that they just replaced? That one was only weeks old then, judging by the fire-pit, the color of the wood and the finger sized saplings growing next to it, etc. Or is there another one now on Henderson?

ner the trails to Preston ponds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
As is the case with all lean-tos that are either not in compliance, or are damaged and deteriorating with age. The Lean2Rescue team is moving as fast as they can on many of these. The Henderson Lake one was dismantled and rebuilt 150 feet away from the old site just last week, Wolfjaw was done a month earlier. More to follow very soon.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
WBB

RichieC:
It sounds like you were at the Lean to right on Henderson Lake. There is an older one called Henderson Lean to, less than a mile further up the trail on the way to Indian Pass. When I was last there in 2009 we found it to be in very bad shape. We backtracked and stayed at the one you mentioned. It is nice to hear that it has since been repaired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080163 (640x480).jpg (45.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg P1080148.jpg (76.8 KB, 63 views)
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, camping, eighth lake, review, state park