Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
dockless
citizen

What's your favorite Hot Sauces - Salsa Picante!

Before my very, very minor stroke (don't you ever have a BAD stroke) my favorite hot sauce was Tabasco - and it's still a good one. Now that everything tastes different, there are several I like.... and would like to know of others to try. The one's I'm using now are:
1. Tamarack Sap - from the restaurant in Inlet. Jalapeno based. Excellent.
2. Cholula Hot Sauce from Mexico. Arbol and piqun pepper based.
3. Tropical Pepper Co Special Edition from Costa Rica. Habanero based. Also has Pineapple
4. Goya Salaita Hot Sauce Jalapeno Pepper based - green - from Mexico.
5. Franks Original Cayenne Pepper - Buffalo Wings sauce.

Have also started to make my own soup and gumbo base from the garden based on tomatoes, Jalapeno and Habanero Peppers.

Anyone have some other hot sauce to recommend or other peppers to plant next season.
dockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

We have made our own hot sauces in the past. Just boil up some whole hot peppers(or a mix of hot and sweet and ethnic) in cider vinegar until soft,then run thru the blender and strain. No salt is needed if kept in the fridge. We add a little cumin ,garlic,etc.
When using straight haberneros we add some grated carrot or you can use pineapple too.

Beware tho.... it is pungent and will clear your sinuses while cooking...and I suppose you could process the sauce in mason jars.

We look for sauces that are "organic" as far as added ingredients..no preservatives or filler please.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
BigTone
Go Big or Go Home!

Franks redhot! not to hot, not to cold, its just right !!!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
dockless
citizen

I just throw cut up tomatoes, an onion, some garlic and the hot peppers in a crock put to cook on low overnight. You end up with a base for soup, gumbo, salsa, chile and hot sauce depending on how it turns out........ Works very well after a frost kills the tomatoes and peppers - just throw in all the half ripe and green tomatoes with Jalapeno and Habanero left on the plants. Just one Habanero adds some pop to four quarts of tomatoes. Am freezing but thinking about learning to put in mason jars.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Limekiln

Tamarack Sap is good stuff, I agree.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
daxs

Its not hard to can using mason jars. You may need to adjust recipes though. You need to make sure your mixture is acidic enough for canning. . I had alot of tomatillos and green tomataoes so I made salsa verde and canned it. It goes fast at parties. I love to make my own stuff and can it. all natural no artificial dyes or preservatives. Jam tastes so different when made with sugar vs high fructose corn syrup. There is a website called pickyourown.org where I've gotten some of my recipes
daxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
dockless
citizen

WOW - that's a neat website - too much info to digest in a short time.
How do you determine the pH and what pH is needed?

Added later: Think I found the answer at:
http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_whyuseacanner.htm
Looks like pressure canning may be required for peppers ... will need more study: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/fo...ili_pepper.pdf

Right now my hair is soaking wet and mouth burning. Made up a crock pot with the above base and beef, venison, potatoes, barley, brown rice, celery, dry onion soup, and low salt beef soup base --- basically a lot of leftovers --- cleaned out the fridge ... was great with garlic bread.

Last edited by dockless; 11-21-2011 at 10:03 AM..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
John H Swanson

First, I prefer hot sauce with sweet flavor so Tabasco, and Franks are just Cayanne Vinegar slop....and under powered as well.

I came across what I considered to be the nivana of hot sauces - Inner Beauty Real Hot Sauce. A sweet sauce with complex flavors of tropical fruit and spices that married well to the intense heat of the habanero peppers. Not to be confused with Inner Beauty Hot Sauce which is a more mustardy version with less punch.

Well the restaurant that marketed the sauce stopped selling it...With the internet, chatter arose and recipes were speculated.

So when a large source of Habaneros arose, I jumped on the opportunity. With the blender whirrring I expereimented with several variants and came up with some options that come close to the original.....but not quite the same as when I first bit into the Chicken Fajitas with the original.

Lets see if this excel info transfers

All ingrediants in oz, but you can make it easy on yourself and use 1cup=8 oz for all but the spices and then use the backpack scale for the spices.

Pineapple Juice 6
Orange Juice 2
Frozen Trader Joe's Mango 6
Cider Vinegar 6
Honey 4
Canola Oil 6
habanero chiles (seeds removed) 16
Mustard 4
brown sugar 2
salt 0.3
Cummin 0.33 (cheap at costco)
Chili Powder 0.33 (cheap at costco)
Curry 0.33 (cheap at costco)
Tumeric 0.33
Allspice 0.33

Of course, it goes without saying that if you should not go down the road of experimenting with habaneros unless you know to wear latex gloves and safety glases in the process.

The spices make a big difference and you can change the flavor significantly by changing the ratios a littles.

makes about 1 qt.

pour into mason jars and freeze for storage.
John H Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
dockless
citizen

We look for sauces that are "organic" as far as added ingredients..no preservatives or filler please.

You might like these spices. Bought some from the lady who makes them at the ball field in Long Lake during the Pumpkin Chucking contest last October. http://www.santasatticandkitchen.com/index.php

Last edited by dockless; 11-21-2011 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: link didn't work
Old 11-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
daxs

I never actually measure the pH of anything I can. I just make sure I follow a recipe meant for canning.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
dockless
citizen

That seems to be the standard procedure.

Lots of info online, at Cornell Coop, and the local library has the Ball Blue Book.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I am disappointed that no one has mentioned Sirracha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
rollinslover64

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxs View Post
Its not hard to can using mason jars. You may need to adjust recipes though. You need to make sure your mixture is acidic enough for canning. . I had alot of tomatillos and green tomataoes so I made salsa verde and canned it. It goes fast at parties. I love to make my own stuff and can it. all natural no artificial dyes or preservatives. Jam tastes so different when made with sugar vs high fructose corn syrup. There is a website called pickyourown.org where I've gotten some of my recipes
My stomach can't handle anything too hot but I would say my favorite is the medium salsa that we canned this year,so much better than store bought.In addition we made pasta sauce,chili sauce which works great for sloppy joes, sweet and dill pickles,pickled beets,and jam using green tomatoes and jello.We also canned some applesauce. Can't wait to start all over again next year! The pick your own website is a good resource to have in the favorites!
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce
I've made the fermented version of this several times and it is quite good:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ce-recipe.html
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
daxs

This year i did strawberry and sour cherry jam, dill pickles, spicy bread and butter pickles, salsa verde and apple butter. I was on vacation when blueberries and peaches were at their peak so i did not get a chance to make jam or can those fruits. I use the apple butter recipe fromt he pickyourownsite. Dills are from friends mother. The spicy bread and butter i found online somewhere. Those are really good.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
dockless
citizen

Finally found some at Shure Fine.
They also had Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce... will try both.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
wiiawiwb

Sambal sauce

I have in my refrigerator both of Huy Fong's chili garlic and sriracha sauces.

My favorite Huy Fong's Rooster brand of chili sauce is their plain sambal chili sauce. If you're not careful, Sriracha can easily overpower a dish. Both it and the chili garlic sauce contain garlic and I'd much prefer to add fresh garlic to the sambal chili sauce in the proportions wanted which are usually large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sambal chili.jpg (13.6 KB, 57 views)
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #18
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

From an absolutely masochistic perspective or for those who think "no sauce can be too hot" check this out.

It's made with the bhut jolokia pepper which checks in at over 1,000,000 SHU (Scoville Heat Untis). If you don't know what a SHU is then you don't know hot sauce.

http://www.hotsauce.com/The-Ghost-Ho...per-p/1449.htm

"The Indian military plans to weaponize the bhut jolokia, the world's hottest chili pepper, by using it in tear-gas grenades against terrorists, defense officials there have announced.

The notorious pepper from Bangladesh and northeast India, also known as the "ghost chili," is ranked by Guinness World Records as the most piquant of peppers. It has more than 1 million Scoville heat units, way beyond tabasco and jalapeno peppers, which pack 2,500 to 8,000 units. "
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #19
wiiawiwb

Hawk....have you tried ghost chilis before? I tried chicken wings with ghost chili sauce with a group of buddies. Most had one and that was it. Immediate tears, difficulty breathing, lots of fluids downed (but no milk around) and hoarse voices.

I was able to soldier through four of them and it wasn't easy. Having said that, the second, was easier than the first and the third easier than the second, and so on.

Brutal stuff but glad I tried it.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
Hawk....have you tried ghost chilis before? I tried chicken wings with ghost chili sauce with a group of buddies. Most had one and that was it. Immediate tears, difficulty breathing, lots of fluids downed (but no milk around) and hoarse voices.

I was able to soldier through four of them and it wasn't easy. Having said that, the second, was easier than the first and the third easier than the second, and so on.

Brutal stuff but glad I tried it.
Nope. I like Spicy, not pain.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote