Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Bib

Luxury/Unnecessary Items?

So I'm fine tuning my gear checklist and was wondering what you folks thought of carrying - camp shoes, GPS, rain cover. My camp shoes would be used to wade thru water as well (in an effort to keep my hiking boots dry) but they weigh in at 1 lb and 5 oz. Both the GPS and rain cover are close to half a pound. What's the reception like with the GPS out on the NPT anyways? So what would you bring/leave behind?
Bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
WBB

You certainly will not need the GPS for anything other than to collect data. The trail is very easy to follow and almost impossible to lose. A pack cover is a good idea unless you have everything packed in waterproof stuff sacks. As for camp shoes I like to have them for no other reason than to give my feet a break and I donít like the idea of walking around barefoot in camp. As for changing into them to avoid getting your boots wet there will certainly be opportunities to do that, but I found that by the time I encounter these spots my boots were already wet and I just plowed through. I know others have been able to stay dry but I just donít seem to have that knack. It is a great trip enjoy yourself. Are you going north or south bound?
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Bib

Thanks for the feedback, WBB. I'll be doing the northern half north bound....that is Wakely Dam to Chubb River....leaving on Saturday. It's my first solo trip in a very long time so I'm trying to pull off that fine balancing act of being weight conscious as well as safe and responsible.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
WBB

It has been a couple of years (2009) since I have been up in that section but as I recall the only real wet section was between Plumley's and Shattck Clearing. Beavers have been very busy in there in the past. The climb up to the top of the ridge is the only real difficult part of this. It is easy hiking up along Long Lake. You are hiking the best section in MHO, the Cold River and north is particularly nice. Have a great trip.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed

For camp shoes, try a pair of lightweight, waterproof clogs like Crocs, Holey Soles, or a similar style from Cabelas, Amazon, etc. They weigh about 9 oz. for a pair and are great for stream crossings.
I find that rain covers often soak through eventually, so I use a waterproof pack liner (or garbage bag) instead and carry my sleeping bag and clothes in truly waterproof eVent stuff sacks from Sea to Summit.
Enjoy!
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
pllckjsnm

I agree the gps is unnecessary unless you want the data. I use waterproof stuff sacks for the important stuff- sleeping bag, dry socks, warm layer for evening. I also started out with the plan to change shoes for stream crossings but like WBB I was already wet. It sure was nice to have them and the dry socks when I stopped for the evening though.
pllckjsnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
daxs

Crocs and just biner them to a strap on your pack
daxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
Bib

I had been looking at the Crocs but I didn't think they'd serve much of a purpose trying to make my way across streams with them. But they are super light and do give the feet a good rest so maybe after encouraging words from debmonster in regards to water crossings with them, I just might bite....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
MrKawfey

Crocs Trailbreak sandals. THE BEST CAMP/WATER SHOE EVER. and they stopped making them! They are almost as light as a pair of traditional crocs which means they are just about the lightest thing you can get. These cinch up so they are tight around your feet for control, and they have a good nubby sole for traction. Best part is there is NOTHING in the shoe that absorbs water so they dry instantly. Technically they never actually get wet. Just a quick swipe with your hand and the water is out and you can put them on over thick socks in camp for cozy comfortable camp shoes.

If I knew they had stopped making them I would have bought two more pairs to have as backups.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib View Post
I had been looking at the Crocs but I didn't think they'd serve much of a purpose trying to make my way across streams with them. But they are super light and do give the feet a good rest so maybe after encouraging words from debmonster in regards to water crossings with them, I just might bite....
The crocs are great for making ones way across streams. I have a pair that are six years old and still going strong even though the soles have been worn smooth. They clip in the back of my pack with a biner and they are great once I get to camp.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote