Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Pauly D.

Game camera recommendations

I purchased a Wildgame Innovations game camera from Dicks and it lasted about a year before it stopped working. Is this normal? I would think the thing should last more than one year. Any recommendations on a good unit with long life expectancy? Thanks,
Old 12-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #2
Blackflie

I bought one of these last year. "Bushnell 16MP Trophy Cam HD Essential E3 Trail Camera" . It has just run through its first set of batteries (AA's). and seems to be working ok.

Sample video here. https://youtu.be/uYEoNpvXZJQ
Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
jman22

Browning makes great cameras. Look into the strike force hd, spec. force hd, and dark ops hd models. They are going to cost a lot more then the wildgame cameras, but they are worth it. Great battery life and really crisp pictures. Also look into Covert cameras. I've used MANY brands over the years, and currently, these two brands are at the top of my list.

Last edited by jman22; 12-12-2018 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: edit
jman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #4
mgc

I've had lousy luck with Moultrie...the cases break, they stop taking images etc...they are good for a year or two max.
I've stopped using cameras...too much information...I get almost as much from looking at tracks and sign and no longer drive myself nuts about "the monster". Once you stop obsessing about every deer that is on your property and patterning in to the minute the hunt returns to a more relaxed affair, at least for me it has.
The game cam reminds me of the heart rate monitor I once bought and used when I was cycling...it told me precisely how close I was to a stroke, quantified it...yet based upon how I felt I already knew it...heart rate monitors and game cams are not part of what I do anymore...too much information.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:52 PM   #5
Mallard1100

Wild game cameras are junk. I really like the Browning’s
Mallard1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
Pauly D.

Looks like the Browning is a good choice. Thanks for the info.

We've got a flock of turkeys crapping outside the vestibule of my building at work during the night. This would be a good test for the new camera. Man those birds can poop!