Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #81
geogymn

The story below is from the Southern tier so it might not be welcomed here however:

Fun Hunt 11-21-18

Arrived at the farm a little late, just at civil twilight. The temperatures were moderate but a frigid cold front was on its way. I parked on the edge of the party island and rushed to the fire pit to get a fire going. As I was halfway there I noticed 4 deer looking at me about 40 yards away, one deer was actually between me and the ****ter. I try to back off but to no avail, they took off with tails raised high.
Now some may look at that as a good sign but I was beating myself up for being an unaware hunter, I could have had meat with little effort. I get a fire going.
I started out hunting the rim on our side of the main ravine revealing little fresh sign. The snow crunched underfoot granting any deer an auditory advantage. With so much snow on the ground I needed to use distance and keen eyesight to even the odds.
At one point I decided to cross the main ravine to hunt for a deer that caught my fancy before the start of the season. That buck seemed to like it over there and so do I.
Descending and then ascending the deep ravine is no easy chore and one must guard against generating too much sweat. A forceful slow down found me nearly atop the far side of the ravine. As I left the open hardwood forest I slowed to a creep, peeking over rim-top of the ravine onto the open fields. I was surprised not to see anything in this favorite haunt but recognized that the wind was working against me. Reversing direction I put my face to the wind and scoured the open fields.
Just at the top of Buck Gully there is a favorite apple tree that lends good coverage and good observation. The wind was brutal as I stood treelike eyeing the fields. A crotch-horn materialized across the far end of the field, too far to shoot. It appeared to be moving slowly but in a singular direction.
There might be a chance to cut this buck off at the pass.
Doubling back I made sure to stay low and walk softly. But as I am making my way around clandestinely through the woods I spy a bedded deer. A view through the mounted rifle scope verified that it was a doe.
Now here is meat, virtually in the hand, and a lot closer to my truck than that buck in the bush. The size of this deer was hard to discern so it was best to inch forward to see if it was keeping company. If there is more than one I could choose the biggest, and, who knows, maybe she has a suitor in tow.
Keeping on my feet and using a tree as a visual block, I advanced slowly, scanning the area for other bedded deer. At one point I think I see an ear or maybe a piece of hanging bark. Viewed it through the scope for a long while before the object fluttered. Carefully I took a couple side steps to gain better view of the head that this ear belonged to.
That's when I saw antlers and dropped to my knees. This is a nice buck, I can't screw this up. Lying behind a tree and in a depression, the back of this buck's head was the only target available, I have to get closer.
My knees and gloves become wet as I crawl forward to gain a better target. Moving along slowly I keep tabs on both the buck and the doe to detect any evidence of alarm. But I don't know if there are other deer with these two, I don't want to get busted.
From my new position the target increased to include the back of the buck's neck. I mustn't tarry; I have to take a shot.
Raising to my knees I shouldered the rifle but the cross-hairs were dancing in the scope. Breathing deeply I tried to slow things down to no avail. Both the wind and exertion, in addition to my excitement, made my aim unsteady.
Took a deep breath, boom. Nothing, nothing happened. The buck is looking around but is still unawares of my presence. The wind is loud but I am only 70 yards away. I shoot again, and again, and again. The buck stands up, I aim carefully, pull the trigger. Just a click.
The gun is empty. I lay down, out of view, as I was in my own depression. Hidden from view I struggled to release the magazine so that I could reload. With cold hands and finicky equipment, it took like, forever, to finally free the magazine, which I tossed aside. I grabbed a loose bullet out of my vest, fumbled around but finally chambered the round, rose up on my knees, and shoot.
The buck takes off like a bat out of hell, crashing through the forest. I think I missed, what the hell is wrong with my gun? Bumming big time.
Checking out the scene I came across the doe's bed first and then proceeded to search for the bucks bed. After coming up empty I looked back, to from where I shot, only to realize that what I thought was the doe's bed was indeed the buck's bed.
Reexamining the bed revealed no sign of a hit. Bumming. I examine the first leap impression of the fleeing buck. Wait. There is some hair, no blood. I must of grazed it. Bumming.
Check the second leap, same, some hair, no blood. Bumming.
It wasn't till the seventh leap before the snow showed streaks of blood. Then more blood. Then my quarry, an aged eight pointer. What a hunt!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #82
skillzman1

Congrats! Great write up. I miss hunting season already! I have vacation next week maybe some small game will suffice.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #83
Stillhunter

Great story Geogymn! Well told. Congratulations on a nice buck. Way to go stalking and concealing yourself.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #84
geogymn

Thanks fellow hunters, I hope you had as much fun this season as I had.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #85
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
The story below is from the Southern tier so it might not be welcomed here however:

Fun Hunt 11-21-18

... Then more blood. Then my quarry, an aged eight pointer. What a hunt!
Great hunt and write-up. I enjoyed that.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #86
Cpswing555

Fly rodder that sounds like a great year. what kind of camp do you hunt out of? is it a family camp or something like Robinwood? just curious that's all.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #87
Cpswing555

that was one hell of a story Geo.. Excellent
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:02 AM   #88
geogymn

Thanks, I appreciate the comments.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #89
geogymn

A couple of fun hunt pics:

Old 12-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #90