Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Banjoe

Crowds, Waits, Fees

The Guardian has a feature on a subject frequently discussed here, but in this case it's overuse of the national parks. Reading it is enough to keep me away from many of the places I've wanted to visit but haven't yet. I'm glad I got to some before social media changed things so much.
Like many favorite spots in the Adirondacks, I recognize it's often a matter of getting there at the right time to enjoy a peaceful experience, but the aftermath of overuse sometimes can't be avoided. I can't imagine waiting an hour to climb a ladder on a hike as in one location mentioned. Like the municipality where I live, the one in the article has all these people going to their water supply to get their selfie. They've started charging a fee to go there, in my town it's illegal to be there but enforcement is lacking.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tion-solutions
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Terasec

I have taken a few trips out west, visiting lots of national parks,
last trip was last year a 7000 mile road trip,
what I have seen is most parks are not as bad as they make it sound,
everyone is directed to the 1 multimillion dollar visitor center with state of the art theatres, selling trinkets and such, whenever you see pics of such crowds they are generally all taken at similar visitor center locations where everyone is funneled to,
once you leave such visitor centers I have had absolutely no problem with crowds.
there are lots of factors in amount of visitors, online sources is just part of it, visitor numbers are up across the board, people are driving more, drive newer more reliable cars, gps makes it easy to go anywhere, gps has had more of an impact on my road trips than anything else, years ago you followed your route to your destination and did not deviate, now its a whole different road trip with gps,
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
WBB

“Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded”

Yogi Berra
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #4
TCD

Fluff article, trying to appeal to the currently popular narrative. Yawn.

I never have any trouble finding solitude; it's big out there.

Hiked in Yellowstone; broke the law bringing my dog, so deliberately chose a less popular route. Dog did no harm to anything. Did not see a soul on a beautiful summer day; beautiful terrain.

All this whining is just BS in support of a narrative.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
Eddie Fournier

Same things are being said everywhere. You'd think that Venice should now be avoided at all cost, but I visited last year during peek tourist season and, aside from 2-3 hot spots, crowds were not a problem at all. Go there. And don't bring a GPS - there's nothing more fun than getting lost in Venice.
Eddie Fournier is offline   Reply With Quote