Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #21
serotonin
ember

wb,
Long time, no Spleen.

Where have Les Fleurs du mal gone?

Old 01-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #22
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I'm definitely done with Glen. Any takers?
Old 01-29-2019, 12:34 PM   #23
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
And always happy to help when photo documentation of crimes against nature are occurring.
Ahh there it is, thanks Glen.

I don't think there was ever an explanation for this photo was there? Was he hijacked from his tube and forced against his will into a radisson, his flyrod pried from his fingers at gunpoint, replaced with a spinning rod? He certainly looks pretty happy so I suspect not. Was he slumming with the 'common folk'? Is this really how he fishes most of the time, posting flyfishing pictures for show-purely a ruse to hide the truth? So many questions...
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #24
wildbrookies

Well, glad to see we still have a pretty good nucleus of faithful followers left!

VT- Tell Thomas congratulations on his graduation and now working alongside his mentor and dad! How cool is that! And, I wish Ross well at his college! Can`t believe how fast your boys have grown. I appreciate them worshipping my brother and my old stomping grounds ,but we are no Gods, you guys are a whole level ahead of us,but we still will never go back to the dark side again.HaHa! Tossing flies I tie is imbedded in us from now on.

Glad to see posts from Sero, SR, CW, Glen and other outdoor enthusiasts like NEangler,Blackflie,Chaser,Pauly D. and can't ever forget Adkpikebuster! Miss the fun we shared and the ribbing ,always brought a smile to my face reading your posts on my breaks in the sweatshop..So, hopefully ,I broke the ice and got the show back on the road again !! Im going to try to hit this forum more regular now and into the future. I hope to be tying again very soon too.Swap??? Maybe !!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:09 PM   #25
EagleEd

Just an update on another fly fisherman. Eagle Crg is now living in Corpus Christi for the next three months. Called last night to tell me he lost a big red fish, but has yet to catch anything to cook for his dinner. Will return to his camp sometime in May, as he has also found love in San Diego with an old HS sweetheart.
Also had cataract surgery on one eye 1/24 with the other being done 2/14, he may improve his fly tying skills now that he can see what he is tying.

Eagle Ed
EagleEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
wildbrookies

Thanks Eagle Ed for the update on Eagle Crag. I was thinking about him when I made my last post.Hope he recovers from eye surgery very well and gets back to tying and also comes back to post on here.Tell him we`ll wait for him!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #27
ADKpikebuster

VT I didn’t know you were a wobblin man, we have a lot to discuss maybe over a 30 pack of Busch lattes

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 PM   #28
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
I'm definitely done with Glen. Any takers?
Why does Glen consistently catch bigger and better fish? Gonna bring my boat to Long Island where he can show me where the big ones are off Montauk Point. Get the point?
Old 01-29-2019, 10:37 PM   #29
Stillhunter

I am glad this loose band of fishermen & story tellers is planning to remain somewhat active. I have learned more about pond fishing for brookies on here than I could have in many more years of uninformed "field experimentation". I love reading back through the archives of posts and pictures. Some of my favorites go way back to when Glen was just an apprentice and he asked the forum for advice on catching fall brookies. Eventually he was crowned the Brookie King. Then all the amazing pictures everyone has posted over the years. Such colorful speckled trout. Only 3 more months till ice out!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #30
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Sorry Still, I can't wait that long I already have reservations for a boat down in Naples Florida. Friday I'll be there. But I will be thinking of all you wonderful sportsmen braving the really cold brrrr weather. You too Justin.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 AM   #31
Creekwader
Snag Locator

I didn't post much this past year because quite frankly, it was a bad season across the board. Aside from a couple trips, the brook trout fishing for me was a near disaster especially in the fall. I caught roughly 1/3 the trout last year compared to 2017 although in fairness 2017 was probably my best year ever for both numbers and size of fish. Fun times were had, got to fish with good friends but 2018 will be a year to mostly forget. I still maintain that the summer heat did some damage to the ponds, hopefully this coming year will be cooler and wetter. I'm making some adjustments to possibly salvage some of the slow days so I'm looking forward to the new season upcoming.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #32
gmorin71

Great to see a little back and forth again! we're still here. I've been doing a fair amount of fishing this winter at a new spot and have been doing well. Been doing a TON of tying.

What about bringing back a small fly swap like the good ol' days?

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #33
wildbrookies

Good to hear from you gmorin!! Hopefully we can keep this forum at least slightly active from now on.Maybe a swap will help too!

Hopefully, the rivers and ponds fish very well this spring for all of us! We deserve it after this winter...

WB
Old 01-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #34
Stillhunter

I am planning to get out for Brookies this spring for sure. Never even launched the float tube last spring or fall in the Adirondacks. A couple family priorities kept me away but things are looking pretty good for this year and I am putting together my "new ponds to hit" list together. In the mean time I am planning to get after the perch and walleye in central and wny on the ice. Too cold these last few days to want to brave it! Fourteen inches of ice on Oneida Lake from recent reports on Iceshanty!!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:22 PM   #35
wildbrookies

Optimism is infectious! Love it!

WB
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #36
EagleCrag

Howdy all. I've been in Corpus Christi for a month now. Never having fished the salt before, I am finding it difficult to say the least. I have stuck with spinning gear thus far and am still getting skunked, though I have refused to purchase bait. There are so many different species of fish, most with their own techniques to catch them, plus the effect of the tides, weather and moon. So that's my excuse and I"m sticking to it! I brought 3 fly rods with me but haven't used them yet. I'm ready if the wind ever stops blowing. No way I can cast in the wind around here. I have stopped in a local sporting goods store with a good fly shop and they filled me in on what to use and how to rig up for the redfish and sea trout, but I haven't seen the wind abate since I arrived here. I can't even catch them on spinning gear. I am wintering here as my son and 4 grandchildren live in San Antonio which is only 2 hours away. I'm determined to persevere though and will stick with it. I am NOT missing the weather in the dacks which has been brutal this year from what I'm hearing. Keep the faith.........spring will get here!
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #37
serotonin
ember

Serotonin will remain
All we've lost, we will regain

Trouts jump
out of our skin

Swim around
Jump back again

Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #38
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Serotonin will remain
All we've lost, we will regain

Trouts jump
out of our skin

Swim around
Jump back again

Sero, if you'd been in on the Grateful Dead it would've been a whole different band.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #39
serotonin
ember

vt,

Trouts jump
out of our skin

Swim around
Jump back again

tellmetheydon't

Last edited by serotonin; 02-01-2019 at 05:17 PM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #40
wildbrookies

Love those lyrics Sero!! Definitely music material. We should start a band ! The Nitty Gritty Trout Fishers Band!