Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2019, 08:27 PM   #41
serotonin
ember

I'm in if pikebuster conducts
with an Ugly-stik while Tuvan Throat Singing with Glen on horseback dressed like Lady Godiva slinging arrows into the North Star.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:27 AM   #42
Lucky13

MT Creel!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #43
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Just to get you out of the winter doldrums

What I've been tying and a 2018 catch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2023369.jpg (137.2 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg P2023372.jpg (98.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg P2023374.jpg (105.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg P2023375.jpg (126.3 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg P2023378.jpg (130.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg P5120609.jpg (102.5 KB, 114 views)
Old 02-02-2019, 06:50 PM   #44
Pauly D.

Nice VT. What is that second pattern? It looks like a caterpillar or grub. Cranefly larvae?
Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #45
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Nice VT. What is that second pattern? It looks like a caterpillar or grub. Cranefly larvae?
Pauly, I think it could be any of those. Its tied using a new material from FNF, a UK company, called Predator Worm. All I can say is that it moves really nicely in the water.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #46
Pauly D.

Thanks VT. If you don't mind how did you lash it to the hook? Twist it woolly bugger style or did you segment it with tying thread? It looks very smooth with no segmentation.

I love the braided damsel too. I gotta admit I tied up a few of those last year after you posted a photo in one of the threads from years past.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:05 PM   #47
wildbrookies

VT- Very nice variety of interesting flies! What is the 3rd one down called? Looks like a muddler type variation.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #48
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
VT- Very nice variety of interesting flies! What is the 3rd one down called? Looks like a muddler type variation.

WB
It's a Zonker Muddler. They've been very effective for me in the Parklands of Manitoba. UpstateDave and I also had a wonderful day fishing Muddlers and these at the end of last season.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #49
wildbrookies

Will they work for big trout in our local rivers? I wonder...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #50
Lucky13

For stream fishing on the Tug Hill, and in the western 'dacks, I tie on a small muddler the first trip of the year, and if things go right, it is still on when I switch to Steelhead in the fall.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #51
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Thanks VT. If you don't mind how did you lash it to the hook? Twist it woolly bugger style or did you segment it with tying thread? It looks very smooth with no segmentation.

I love the braided damsel too. I gotta admit I tied up a few of those last year after you posted a photo in one of the threads from years past.
It is merely wound around the hook shank. It’s a very interesting material and I can’t wait to see how it fishes.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #52
wildbrookies

And that's a slammer of a brookie!!
Old 02-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #53
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
And that's a slammer of a brookie!!
See where her tail lines up with the seam on my stripping apron? The opposite one (directly under the hinge of her jaw) is exactly 24" distant.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #54
wildbrookies

That would be a good sized laker but a 24" brookie is a trophy!
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #55
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader View Post
Ahh there it is, thanks Glen.

I don't think there was ever an explanation for this photo was there? Was he hijacked from his tube and forced against his will into a radisson, his flyrod pried from his fingers at gunpoint, replaced with a spinning rod? He certainly looks pretty happy so I suspect not. Was he slumming with the 'common folk'? Is this really how he fishes most of the time, posting flyfishing pictures for show-purely a ruse to hide the truth? So many questions...
CW-

The story is a sad one. VT challenged a highly skilled wobbler man to a contest. While VT was flailing away with his flies weighted with flounder sinkers, the wobbler guy, (let's call him Mr X) was hauling big brookies in left and right. VT had the look of a child that just had his bike stolen so Mr. X took pity on him and invited him out of his rubber ducky tube and into his hornbeck. VT embraced the wobbler lifestyle and he hasn't been the same since. Next thing he'll be drinking Busch lite and hangin with Pikebuster.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #56
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
See where her tail lines up with the seam on my stripping apron? The opposite one (directly under the hinge of her jaw) is exactly 24" distant.
I know for a fact VT's stripping apron is in millimeters, not inches. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 02-07-2019, 09:38 AM   #57
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Why does Glen consistently catch bigger and better fish? Gonna bring my boat to Long Island where he can show me where the big ones are off Montauk Point. Get the point?
If I gave away my secret there'd be no big ones left for me to catch! You're always welcome here Schultzzy. Montauk is awesome. The women are, err, I mean the fishing, is awesome.
― Cormac McCarthy
Old 02-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #58
ADKpikebuster

Let me tell you men something that will change your life forever, when drinking excessive amounts of Busch lattes in a hornbeck it can become a bit of a pain constantly paddling to and from shore constantly reeling and casting ones wobblers especially if you run 2 poles..I know a lot of you are nodding your head in agreement. This is where I deploy my piss can, cut the top off a latte can and you got yourself your own personal boat urinal, if I’m drinking tall boys I refer to it as a “high capacity piss can” (still legal in most states) so if you see AdkPB floating with his hands off his kayak paddle best stay away for a few minutes

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:45 PM   #59
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
CW-

The story is a sad one. VT challenged a highly skilled wobbler man to a contest. While VT was flailing away with his flies weighted with flounder sinkers, the wobbler guy, (let's call him Mr X) was hauling big brookies in left and right. VT had the look of a child that just had his bike stolen so Mr. X took pity on him and invited him out of his rubber ducky tube and into his hornbeck. VT embraced the wobbler lifestyle and he hasn't been the same since. Next thing he'll be drinking Busch lite and hangin with Pikebuster.
OK, so the full story should be told. Glen has some of the basic facts correct. I arranged to meet up with Mr. X and got there early. It was a sunny day and the brookies were deep. I had not one hit in two hours. Mr. X showed up and caught and released a 5 lb brookie right off the bat. After his ninth fish in an hour I demanded to see exactly what he was doing. So, he invited me into his boat and showed me his technique. There are some subtlties that I won't reveal.

One of the rods started twitching and Mr. X suggested I take it. In came said very large brookie. It was deeply hooked and went onto a stringer.

I resumed the pointless act of fly fishing while Mr X proceeded to land another dozen. A good percentage were deeply hooked and those got kept.

What I learned that day:
  • When brookies are holding deep and concentrated, a lake Clear Wabbler and worm is enormously effective, to the point that every large fish could be removed from the pond.
    Roughly half of the fish will be hooked deeply and cannot be released once caught.
    When brookies are up and feeding, fly fishing is the more effective technique.
    Fly fishing is a much more engaging way to fish and almost always leaves you with the ability to safely release your worthy quarry.
Would I try a Lake Clear again? In a word, no. Would I hang out and fish with Pikebuster? Absolutely, as long as his piss can didn't tip over.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #60
gmorin71

I just keep laughing at "piss can" haha

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote