Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #61
Pauly D.

Thank you WB for starting this thread. I can't stop laughing!
Old 02-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #62
wildbrookies

Thanks Glen for opening up VT...haha..
Thanks for confessing VT! But,under the circumstances I would've done exactly the same as you. Key though ,is, you did go back to fly fishing after catching that brookie ,despite getting skunked... At least PikeB had a lot of action and fish were caught but quite a few ,unfortunately didn't survive the deeply hooked worm.Amazing how the ol' Wobbler /Worm outfished the flies so drastically..and given the bright sun and all,you'd think they wouldn't bite at all...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #63
Lucky13

I knew someone who claimed that a Lake Clear with a Hornberg was as effective as using the porkchop, with far fewer gut hooked fish.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #64
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
CW-

The story is a sad one. VT challenged a highly skilled wobbler man to a contest. While VT was flailing away with his flies weighted with flounder sinkers, the wobbler guy, (let's call him Mr X) was hauling big brookies in left and right. VT had the look of a child that just had his bike stolen so Mr. X took pity on him and invited him out of his rubber ducky tube and into his hornbeck. VT embraced the wobbler lifestyle and he hasn't been the same since. Next thing he'll be drinking Busch lite and hangin with Pikebuster.
A sad tale indeed. The light of truth burns brightly.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #65
Creekwader
Snag Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
OK, so the full story should be told. Glen has some of the basic facts correct. I arranged to meet up with Mr. X and got there early. It was a sunny day and the brookies were deep. I had not one hit in two hours. Mr. X showed up and caught and released a 5 lb brookie right off the bat. After his ninth fish in an hour I demanded to see exactly what he was doing. So, he invited me into his boat and showed me his technique. There are some subtlties that I won't reveal.

One of the rods started twitching and Mr. X suggested I take it. In came said very large brookie. It was deeply hooked and went onto a stringer.

I resumed the pointless act of fly fishing while Mr X proceeded to land another dozen. A good percentage were deeply hooked and those got kept.

What I learned that day:
  • When brookies are holding deep and concentrated, a lake Clear Wabbler and worm is enormously effective, to the point that every large fish could be removed from the pond.
    Roughly half of the fish will be hooked deeply and cannot be released once caught.
    When brookies are up and feeding, fly fishing is the more effective technique.
    Fly fishing is a much more engaging way to fish and almost always leaves you with the ability to safely release your worthy quarry.
Would I try a Lake Clear again? In a word, no. Would I hang out and fish with Pikebuster? Absolutely, as long as his piss can didn't tip over.
Word salad and mansplaining, nobody is buying this story. The Sean Spicer of brook trout fishing.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #66
wildbrookies

Love the ending with said spillage! Omg!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote