Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
krazyka85

Question Stillwater Resorvoir Tips for Best Checkin Days & Times

Looking for some tips for best checkin days and times for Stillwater Resorvoir during the peak season of July - September to get a decent site. Anyone out there who might be a Stillwater regular over the years and willing to help me out? If you're the type that doesn't like to put out this kind of info or tips on public forums, but still willing to private message me, I would be very greatful! I've never been up there before but it looks like a really nice quiet place that caught my attention last year while up on seventh lake last year.

Typically we like to do 3 night stays either thur - sun or sat - tues. With this place first come first serve, I fear we get all the way up there (3hr drive) and not have a site available when we get there. Any help and tips are greatly appreciated.

Bonus - What is and isn't a "decent" site here???

- Ken
krazyka85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Wldrns

I've never seen every site occupied, although if you already have a favorite, it may be a favorite for others as well. IMO, there are very few less than desirable sites that are not "decent". You do know that even if every site is taken (not probable), you are allowed to primitive camp almost anywhere you like as long as it is at least 150 feet from the water or trail and you are environmentally responsible. In mid summer there is lots of sand beach along the shore, and 150 feet is not very far to walk to the beach.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
Buckladd

We camped on #11 one year, great site with lots of beach. The next year the beach was under water. Like WLDRNS says, seldom are they all taken, and most I've seen are pretty nice. Your Thu-Sun, trip should be OK.

Just know that it's a windy lake by nature, which may be a factor if you're paddling. My buddy also blew the prop on his motor in there because of the stumps.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
My buddy also blew the prop on his motor in there because of the stumps.
Stumps and gravel shoals. if you watch an experienced local with a powerboat leave the launch heading down the length of the reservoir, you will notice them making odd sinuous zig zag turns. There are maps available showing the path of safe travel. Not usually a problem when paddling, but those dark submerged stumps can come quickly and frighteningly upon you.

Wind... I have been windbound for more than a day on the far end. It wasn't a problem because my wife was well aware that can happen. There are cases where hunters have died out there, even with a motorboat when in big wind, high waves and late season cold water.

More often than not I have gone out in relatively calm (cloudy/rainy) conditions, then when it was time to return clear blue skies and strong wind from the west kicked up big waves along the length of the reservoir. Be prepared and stay close to shore.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Get a map and a good fish finder and chat with some anglers who are there. When you find the fish don't tell us where you found them. Droughts play havoc with water levels.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #6
Camper55
Camper55

I've been up alot to Stillwater. It's one of my favorite places. 1st of all if your planning on going up plan for the middle of the week. If you get there on Friday you might have to look around to find a spot. There is 1 Lean-to up by Trout pond that is nice. Twin Pine Island is really nice. Always wanted to try loon lake but our boat was to big to get thru the channel, Have a Canoe now so want to try soon. You can't go wrong at Stillwater. Good Luck
Camper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

In addition to the information shared above- if you're able to stop by the Norridgewock for dinner, you should definitely do so. Plus it's neat spending an hour or so walking around an Adirondack town that is not connected to the outside world by road.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stillwater