Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Long/Island Pond, LGWF, 8 Oct, 2019

Today, I had an opportunity for a solo hike to Long and Island Ponds in the Lake George Wild Forest. I've been here a few times over the past few years, but always enjoy checking out the ponds and climbing the small neighborhood hill.

An early departure brought me to the trailhead on the well maintained Padanarum Rd. Spur.

When Tredhed and I first visited here seven years ago, the ATV abuse was significant. The new gate helps to deter the ATVs, but the beaver is probably the real reason no one rides on this trail.

A narrow and circuitous detour avoids most of the wet spots and rejoins the blue disked trail in short order.

A spur trail branches from the main trail...

...and heads down to the swampy south shore of Long Pond.

The last two times I've been here, I walked around the north shore. Today I had a chance to explore the designated campsites and rock ledges on the south shore.

While walking down the length of the pond on a fisherman's path, I was lucky to watch two otters chasing something through the muddy shallows. Once they saw me, they grunted and rapidly swam out into the depths. I always love watching their antics.

At the north end of the pond, I crossed a beaver dam on the outlet and worked my way up the north shore until I had a good view of the neighborhood hill, my final objective for the day.

However, next on the agenda was a quick bushwhack to Island Pond for lunch.

I lounged on the unmarked designated campsite that sits atop a beautiful rock ledge. The views of the namesake island are superb.

My final task today was to pick up the trail at the east end of Island Pond and bushwhack up the 250' neighborhood hill. The views back down Long Pond with Beech Mt. in the distance were very nice on this wonderful fall day.

Way too soon, it was time to head back down the hill, cut the trail and hike the short distance back to the truck. All told, I spent about five hours in the woods exploring the ponds and the nooks and crannies of the neighborhood hill.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Awesome photos!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
Buckladd

Great photos. Not sure if you know this or not, but I believe DEC used ATV's in there when they reclaimed the pond in 2012 or 13. I'm not sure how they got around the big beaver pond on the way in. That said, I frequent that area and see more dirt bikes on the road than ATVs.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
kwc
loser

Great photos!! Thanks for sharing ...

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #5
Tick Magnet

Thanks for the kind words folks! It was a great day to be out and about.

Buckladd, we first visited in Sep of 2012. The ATV ruts were very prominent, most likely from the reclamation of the pond. Thanks for the back story.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
dundee

The DEC is our own worst enemy!

Nice TR!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
MTVhike

Are motor vehicles allowed here?
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
webby459

I have to add this area to my list. Any thoughts on how it would be to use a canoe cart to get a boat back there?

LGWF is a true gem, as I pass by the area on my way to other places I often wonder why I don't stay closer to home and frequent this area. We had a great trip to 5th Peak last year. I should have gone back and done the whole Tongue Range instead of going to the Cranberry Lake this year.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
TrailBlaser

Great photos, thanks for sharing!
Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Are motor vehicles allowed here?
Only snowmobiles. However, the Town of Horizon passed a resolution that would allow ATVs, as if they could bypass state law! . HAHA!
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #11
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby459 View Post
I have to add this area to my list. Any thoughts on how it would be to use a canoe cart to get a boat back there?
A little muddy in places, but not steep.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick Magnet View Post

My final task today was to pick up the trail at the east end of Island Pond and bushwhack up the 250' neighborhood hill. The views back down Long Pond with Beech Mt. in the distance were very nice on this wonderful fall day.

I have climbed those cliffs you can see at the end of the pond on the ridge in front of Beech mountain. Oddly enough, you cannot see the pond from there.

George
Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
TCD

So the forum went down for a couple minutes; second try posting; sorry if it ends up being a double post...

Rivet, were you rock climbing there, or just scrambling up through the cliff area? I'm curious, this is the first time I've seen anyone mention the climbing potential in that area. I was exploring the climbing there several years ago, when I lived in Glens Falls, but never really had time to actually complete any climbs. There are additional cliffs (mostly west facing, like these) on several of the hill in that area. I found the most direct access was via Comstock Road.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #14
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Rivet, were you rock climbing there, or just scrambling up through the cliff area? I'm curious, this is the first time I've seen anyone mention the climbing potential in that area. I was exploring the climbing there several years ago, when I lived in Glens Falls, but never really had time to actually complete any climbs. There are additional cliffs (mostly west facing, like these) on several of the hill in that area. I found the most direct access was via Comstock Road.
I was just hiking, not rock climbing. I went in from Comstock Road. There is an old road used by hunters that heads in for about a mile. The cliffs are fairly high and near vertical so there may be potential there, but I wouldn't really know. There is a large rubble field at the base that you can see from satellite imagery.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=fa45f4557a
Old 10-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #15
Tabe

Bummer,I was in there last month and just went to the ends of each trail.The ponds were nice but not too exciting.Like you I was solo and thought if something happened you're a long way from civilization.I should of gone with you.
Tabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #16
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Bummer,I was in there last month and just went to the ends of each trail.The ponds were nice but not too exciting.Like you I was solo and thought if something happened you're a long way from civilization.I should of gone with you.
Yeah, you're back in there a ways. One slip and...

I'd just slow you down Jeff, my snail like pace has compounded lately by my bad feet and creaky knees.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:10 PM   #17
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
I have climbed those cliffs you can see at the end of the pond on the ridge in front of Beech mountain. Oddly enough, you cannot see the pond from there.

George
Cool! I wondered what those cliffs would look like up close.