Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #1
yardsale

Canoe/hike options

Hi folks,

Suggestions for canoe/hike options for my crew's October 3 day trip?
Criterion are:

1. 1/4 mile portage or less

2. Smaller lakes with limited wind exposure (We have two open boats and
two Kayaks)

3. Access to decent hike.

Past successful trips have been Lows lower dam/Hutchins/Lows Pond
and Hoel/Slang/Long.

Any ideas you might have would be great!

Winter is coming....!
Nick
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
bluequill

Upper St Regis Lake to St Regis Mountain/ fire tower.

Hoel/ Turtle/ Slang/ Long Pond to Long Pond Mountain. Two small easy carries. Requires two cars for a short shuttle.

Both of these are visible on the Paddlers Map.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
yardsale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Upper St Regis Lake to St Regis Mountain/ fire tower.

Hoel/ Turtle/ Slang/ Long Pond to Long Pond Mountain. Two small easy carries. Requires two cars for a short shuttle.

Both of these are visible on the Paddlers Map.
Yes, the H/T/S was quite nice. I am intrigued about St. Regis. Do you know the location of the herd path named the Teddy Roosevelt Trail up St. Regis Mt?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #4
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Yes, the H/T/S was quite nice. I am intrigued about St. Regis. Do you know the location of the herd path named the Teddy Roosevelt Trail up St. Regis Mt?
Yes, you did mention HTS in the OP...sorry for that.

I have paddled by this TH but not hiked SRM from here. I have only hiked it from the Keese Mill TH. I remember it being a rocky and root lined landing. No sandy beach. I would say it is about an hour of leisurely paddling northwest from the USR launch. I remember paddling around the east side of an island and heading south/sw before encountering the trailhead in short order. A friend who is a guide, regularly takes clients on this paddle/ hike.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I've hiked down to Upper St. Regis via the TR Trail. It wasn't too hard to follow, from what I remember. The state was in the process of putting up markers on the trail (it's been a few years, so I assume it's well marked now). The TR trail joins the main trail at the clearing where the fire tower observer's cabin used to stand, perhaps about 1.5 miles form the summit.

The clearing where the cabin stood is now a designated tent site- it's an OK site, nothing horrible, nothing amazing. If you were willing to carry equipment from the lake, you could camp there.

Alternatively, there are 8 lean-tos in the vicinity on the Paul Smith's Easement that you could camp at, including one on North Bay. There's also one just off the portage trail between North Bay and the St. Regis River, on the southeast shore of Marvin Pond. The St. Regis River has 2 lean-tos, both on the south shore, midway between Lower St. Regis Lake and the dam at Keese Mill, where the St. Regis trailhead and parking area are located. There's another lean-to on Lower St. Regis Lake, located on the southwest shore of the lake, across from the college. Across Route 30 from the college, Church Pond and Little Church Pond each have 1 lean-to, and Osgood Pond has 1 lean-to as well.

The normal state land use regulations apply for the use of these lean-tos- groups over 9 people require a permit, no tents inside of or adjacent to lean-tos, etc. Also, many of the lean-tos on the Paul Smith's Easement are of an older design, and have dirt floors, so a tarp or something to put down is advisable.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
madison

Cedar River Flow could be a nice option, although it would be an out and back trip. I've had a great time doing this trip in late Sept- start at Wakely Dam, paddle south the length of the flow (I think it's about 3 miles) and then continue down the Cedar River another couple of miles to the Carry lean-to on the Northville Placid Trail. There are also numerous sites on the lake itself if you wanted to camp on bigger water. Stay at the lean-to on the river one night, then hike over to the Colvin Brook lean-to for a night. It's only about 2.5 miles away, but it's in a gourgeous spot right on the river and doesn't seem to see a lot of visitors. If you wanted a longer hike, you could continue on the NPT all the way to Cedar Lakes. If you want a mountain hike, you could either start or end your trip with a hike up Wakely Mountain, the trailhead is only a mile or so from Wakely Dam.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
nutmeg creeker

Another suggestion: Henderson Lake L-2 as base camp; hike/exploration up to Preston Ponds; general paddling around Henderson; added hiking possibilities include Indian Pass/Calamity Brook trail options.
The carry from the Tahawus parking area TH to the put-in is smooth, wide and wheelable, if needed, and slightly above 1/4 mile. The L-2 is the "newer" one on Henderson, and is a bit hard to find. It's on the extreme North West corner of the lake near the Preston Ponds/Duck Hole trail. It doesn't show on the edition of the Nat Geo map which I have.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
If you want a mountain hike, you could either start or end your trip with a hike up Wakely Mountain, the trailhead is only a mile or so from Wakely Dam.
As an FYI, the Wakely Mountain trail is currently closed due to structural issues with the tower.

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...il-closed.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/100449.html (scroll down to the Fire Tower section)
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
Old Rivers

I mentioned earlier a trip that matches your desires: Dead creek Flow to Janack's Landing on quiet/sheltered stretch of Cranberry Lake putting in @ Wanakeena. Trail at lean-to leads to ponds, Cat Mtn., and High Falls on Oswegotchie.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:38 PM   #10
Bob K

While the trip to Janack's landing and nearby hikes are nice (did it a few years ago) be aware that Cranberry Lake can get windy + rough including the stretch to get into Dead creek flow from just N of the turn by the Ranger school. I was glad to have my spray cover on my 15' solo canoe for that section. Check the weather for your October trip.

Other options mentioned sound good.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:03 PM   #11
yardsale

Thank you so much for your detailed responses! Won't have a chance to digest them all until tomorrow afternoon.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
yardsale

Too bad about the closed hiking trail on the Cedar River trip option. I also have reservations about Henderson in that there are a limited number of campsites anyway and with our party of 6, 2 of the 4 may be too small. Doesn't provide us with many options. Also discovered the mountain hike there requires fording the Hudson River. (One of our party is timid with stuff like that). We may just take the more popular option of canoeing Lake Lila and hope the winds aren't too bad.

BTW we just returned from 3 days on St. Regis Pond. Tried to bushwack to St. Regis Mt. but took a poor route and got our butt kicked just a bit!
Old 09-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #13
Rich Lockwood

Henderson

My problem with Henderson is that the campsites are way back from the water with no view. I understand the reason for this, but a view from camp is important to me.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:27 PM   #14
Grey-Jay

13th Lake, Peaked Mountain and Peaked Mountain Pond
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
My problem with Henderson is that the campsites are way back from the water with no view. I understand the reason for this, but a view from camp is important to me.
Turtle
In time, all campsites will be relocated well back from water's edge, according to current regulations. That includes any nonconforming leantos that the Lean2Rescue Team repairs, they are to be dismantled and moved back at least 100 feet.

Last edited by Wldrns; 09-17-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #16
Swamp Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
In time, all campsites will be relocated well back from water's edge, according to current regulations. That includes any nonconforming leantos that the Lean2Rescue Team repairs, they are to be dismantled and moved back at least 100 feet.
Just got to ask...did the people of this state get to vote or have any say in the drafting of the current regulation? Or was this another government action without input from the general public like the Safe Act?
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #17
yardsale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey-Jay View Post
13th Lake, Peaked Mountain and Peaked Mountain Pond
Grey-Jay,

That looks sweet! Any sense how much usage the 9 or so campsites might get in two weeks? Any campsites large enough for three tents (6 folks)?

Is the stream on the south end of the 13 Lake navigable at all?

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
Grey-Jay

On usage, 13th Lake campsites walkable from the parking see more use than the paddle to sites. While post Labor Day mid-week use drops, our current hot weather seems to have extended the summer usage levels. No idea on site sizes, perhaps someone else can answer. Remember that Camping for more than 3 nights or with 10 or more people requires a permit from a forest ranger.

Yes, I do recall paddling down a short distance down the stream.

The abundant deciduous trees on the shore make 13th one of the more colorful foliage locations in the area.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote