Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
JoeCedar

Calamity and Bradley Pond Trail Bridges

Good News from the DEC:

11-2-17 High Peaks Wilderness Update
Topic: Bridge Repairs in HPW

Bradley Pond Trail Reroute and Bridge Replacement.
The Bradley Pond Trail has a new reroute and bridge for hikers and hunters going toward the Santanoni Mountains. Shortly after you leave the gravel road, the reroute is marked bringing hikers to the new bridge over Santanoni Brook. After crossing the bridge the reroute continues and joins the old trail. This route eliminates one of the two stream crossings hikers had encountered previously. Along the reroute there are some sections of trail tread that will need to be hardened next year, you may encounter some slippery sections.
This project was a combined effort and thanks to all involved:
NOLS Alumni Service Trip,
SCA Adirondack Corps Program Manager,
SCA High Peaks Backcountry Stewards,
DEC High Peaks Trail Crew,
Inmates from Moriah Shock Unit,
Adirondack 46er Volunteer Trail Crew
DEC Lands and Forest Staff.

Calamity High Water Bridge Repair
The Calamity High Water Bridge has been repaired. On 11/1/17 a crew of High Peaks Backcountry Stewards, a Forest Ranger and the High Peaks Wilderness Manager finished the repairs on the Calamity High Water Bridge. The bridge has a slight list, given the placement of anchor bolts, this will be addressed in the future, for now the bridge is in working order.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
gebbyfish

Good job everyone!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Hear the Footsteps

Very welcome,
Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #4
l33tHoneyBadger

Calamity and Bradley Pond Trail Bridges

Well they got the bridge back up on Calamity again. I will have to take a hike in and check out their handy work. I promise to stay off of it this time though since it is new. I have no need to ride it down into the water a second time. Why is that bridge a suspension bridge anyway? Almost all I have seen are straight pylon based bridges in the ADK.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Tupper Lake Triad: #23 WSD & #405 SSD
Saranac 6er: 3/6

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/uphillbothways/
l33tHoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by l33tHoneyBadger View Post
Well they got the bridge back up on Calamity again. I will have to take a hike in and check out their handy work. I promise to stay off of it this time though since it is new. I have no need to ride it down into the water a second time. Why is that bridge a suspension bridge anyway? Almost all I have seen are straight pylon based bridges in the ADK.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Some of the spans are pretty wide. Stringing cable across is easier than finding and preparing suitable timber near by and rigging it into position?

Stringing a cable eliminates the need to construct a support in the middle of the brook or river? The span across John's Brook near John's Brook Lodge and the span below the dam at Lower Ausable Lake are this type.

Right off, I can think of five suspension bridges in the High Peaks. Near Johns Brook Interior Outpost, Calamity Brook, Opalescent River near Lake Colden, Hudson River trail to Allen/Adams and Opalescent River also on the trail to Allen.

Joe didn't mention what type of bridge crosses Santanoni Brook.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote