Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #1
dogwalker1

Pharoah Lake or Fishbrook Pond

I'm taking my bro-in-law on his first cold weather trip. I'd like to try a lean to as I've never done one in winter. We're only going one night and arriving early Friday morning after Thanksgiving. Our jump off is my folks in QBY which is why I picked those two, both are within 45 minutes.

Which would you pick? Why?

I was pretty settled on Fishbrook until my father started telling me it'll be full of hunters. I hunt, I never hunt where there are hikers for many reasons. I don't hunt in the ADK's though. Any knowledge on what occupancy will be like at crack of dawn after Thanksgiving at either spot?

I appreciate any input to help me settle on one over the other.

Cheers!
dogwalker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
dundee

Lots of folks hunt Pharaoh, too. Both are easy to get to. T'giving w/e is huge for hunting. You will be warmer in a tent, if that's of any help.

The High Peaks may be the least hunted are in NY. I would think about going in to the Johns Brook area out of Keene Valley or going in to the Marcy are from Lake Placid. There are plenty of lean-tos and tent site and fewer hunters.

Last edited by dundee; 11-09-2017 at 05:46 PM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Justin
Moving along

November is one of my favorite times to visit Pharaoh. Yeah you may see a few hunters but for the most part you'll have your choice of lean-tos. Have fun, please keep it clean, and welcome to the forum.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #4
dogwalker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
November is one of my favorite times to visit Pharaoh. Yeah you may see a few hunters but for the most part you'll have your choice of lean-tos. Have fun, please keep it clean, and welcome to the forum.
Thanks! I leave em cleaner than I found em, always.

Any lean to you suggest? Departing from the lot at Beaver Pond Rd.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
dogwalker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Lots of folks hunt Pharaoh, too. Both are easy to get to. T'giving w/e is huge for hunting. You will be warmer in a tent, if that's of any help.

The High Peaks may be the least hunted are in NY. I would think about going in to the Johns Brook area out of Keene Valley or going in to the Marcy are from Lake Placid. There are plenty of lean-tos and tent site and fewer hunters.
Yeah, if time weren't a consideration I'd be looking north. We need to get in and out quick this trip. I sold my 4 season tent and haven't picked a new one yet so lean-to it is this time.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker1 View Post
Any lean to you suggest? Departing from the lot at Beaver Pond Rd.
They all have their charms. My favorite is prolly #4.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
dogwalker1

I've been reading a lot of old threads and scanning photos online and Pharoah seems like it may as well be a KOA campground. No wood, loud groups, trash, heavy use, sounds like a lot of what I head in to the woods to get away from.

Any suggestions in that area that aren't a full day hike in? Lean-to strongly preferred. Hoping to stay in south eastern area of the park as this is a up and back 1 night trip and we want to maximize time spent in the woods, not in the car.

Thanks folks....
Old 11-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #8
dogwalker1

Puffer Pond? Never been, thoughts on this area?
Old 11-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker1 View Post
I've been reading a lot of old threads and scanning photos online and Pharoah seems like it may as well be a KOA campground. No wood, loud groups, trash, heavy use, sounds like a lot of what I head in to the woods to get away from.

Any suggestions in that area that aren't a full day hike in? Lean-to strongly preferred. Hoping to stay in south eastern area of the park as this is a up and back 1 night trip and we want to maximize time spent in the woods, not in the car.

Thanks folks....

Yeah, Pharo can be that, but it is November and that cuts down on the crowds. Most hunters are out for just the day, although you may find 1 or 2 bunked in for an extended stay, however, hunters respect the land and are a quiet group.

Puffer is a good choice, 2 lean-to's and probably not hunted too much.

There's no wood at most lean-to site because everyone has to have a fire. You can help by not having one.

Last edited by dundee; 11-10-2017 at 01:53 PM..
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Correct, Pharaoh Lake gets a lot of use during the "peak" seasons, which is why November is my favorite time of year to visit. And yes, many people love & prefer lean-tos (as you mention), and with 6 different lean-tos to choose from at Pharaoh Lake the area does indeed receive a lot of camping pressure, as well as a lot of illegal & abusive impacts. You can expect similar impacts at Fishbrook Pond, as well as any lean-to that is only a couple miles hike in to reach.

Puffer Pond is nice, but the same issues apply to the areas near the lean-tos, plus there was a tree branch that broke through the roof of lean-to#1 as of this past spring, not sure if that's been repaired yet or not. Also a heads up that Puffer #2 can get very windy there on the east end of the pond, and also has a leaky roof.

Last edited by Justin; 11-10-2017 at 08:38 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
webby459

What about the LG Wild Forest? It may check a lot of your boxes, and it's very close to GF.
webby459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
dogwalker1

In the end after talking to some local hunters they feel that by the time we get in the the lean-tos at Fishbrook there won't be many if any hunters that far in. I agree, I rarely hunt more than 1 mile from my vehicle. That is where I wanted to go initially so its where I think we'll try. May run in to some at Dacy clearing, especially if they drive in but again, they likely won't be hunting or staying at the lean-to area.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll be sure to report back on conditions and how things went.