Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
Stillhunter

Three day hunt ends in success...

Last week I hunted Monday through Wednesday in the central Adirondacks. It was great to be back in the woods and the weather was enjoyable with freezing temps overnight and low forties by mid day. On my last day I was hunting a ridge that had some beechnut feeding activity as well as some average buck sign, scrape and rubs. Around mid afternoon I picked up some motion coming across the ridge above me. I waited for an opportunity to raise the rifle when the buck stopped behind a large beech tree. The buck picked up my scent, blew and bounded directly up the ridge above me with several long leaps never coming into the opening I had hoped he would. He stopped in some small black spruces to look back down and determine who and where I was. This would be my only chance. I saw his tail move and centered my cross hairs on his chest. Boom... and all was still. Upon ascending to his position I saw deer hair on the ground. Looking around I could see the direction he had ran in and began to walk slowly looking for additional sign. I soon found what we all hope for... a heavy blood trail led me directly to my buck. He was 55 paces from where I found the first hair. I was blessed to be able to tag this buck. Nothing better than hunting in the mountains! The shot turned out to be about 85 yards. He is a young 8 pointer, probably 2.5 years old.
Good luck to everyone.
Stillhunter.

Last edited by Stillhunter; 11-13-2017 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: added picture
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
St.Regis

That's excellent! Congrats.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Robin

Excellent, thanks for the report. Inspirational for sure! Thanks for adding the pic, looks like a real nice buck

Last edited by Robin; 11-13-2017 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: responding to added picture
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
bioguide

Oh man...congratulations Stillhunter! A very nice read and I could feel the adrenaline and excitement you must have experienced... my heart was pounding as well.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
geogymn

Nice!!! Congratulations!
Old 11-13-2017, 01:33 PM   #6
EagleCrag

Congratulations Stillhunter. An 8 pointer in the Adirondacks is a trophy no matter how old. Photo link not working for me.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
wildbrookies

Congrats on your success! Loved your story too but still can't see any photos....
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
dpc34

They all look the same in the freezer...just depends how how room it takes....nice deer
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
Swamp Booger

Congratulations... Great buck and sounds like a great experience hunting him! I do hope you're having it mounted. Many of the bucks that come into my shop are in his class. And btw...it wouldn't surprise me if he was a 3 1/2 year old.
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #10
Fly Rodder

Congrats on a trophy and a successful hunt! Killing a buck in the Adirondacks isn't easy. Having perfect fall weather makes it enjoyable as well.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #11
Cpswing555

congrats Still. great job and story.
Cpswing555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #12
Bounder45

Congrats!
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
wildbrookies

Very nicely racked Adirondack deer!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #14
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
Last week I hunted Monday through Wednesday in the central Adirondacks. It was great to be back in the woods and the weather was enjoyable with freezing temps overnight and low forties by mid day. On my last day I was hunting a ridge that had some beechnut feeding activity as well as some average buck sign, scrape and rubs. Around mid afternoon I picked up some motion coming across the ridge above me. I waited for an opportunity to raise the rifle when the buck stopped behind a large beech tree. The buck picked up my scent, blew and bounded directly up the ridge above me with several long leaps never coming into the opening I had hoped he would. He stopped in some small black spruces to look back down and determine who and where I was. This would be my only chance. I saw his tail move and centered my cross hairs on his chest. Boom... and all was still. Upon ascending to his position I saw deer hair on the ground. Looking around I could see the direction he had ran in and began to walk slowly looking for additional sign. I soon found what we all hope for... a heavy blood trail led me directly to my buck. He was 55 paces from where I found the first hair. I was blessed to be able to tag this buck. Nothing better than hunting in the mountains! The shot turned out to be about 85 yards. He is a young 8 pointer, probably 2.5 years old.
Good luck to everyone.
Stillhunter.

Great looking buck!
Edb 46 er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #15
RIngFly

Good job !!!
RIngFly is offline   Reply With Quote