Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
forest dweller

Condition of dirt road into Spruce Lake trailhead?

I went as far as Sled Harbor in a Corolla a few years ago to do the West Canada Lakes loop...no way I would have tried going beyond that even if I needed to...now I have an even lower to the ground Civic and I'm supposed to meet a few fine people up in there this weekend!

Anybody know the condition of the road to the Spruce Lake trailhead and if I should be worried?
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
ADKpondhopper
FishyH2OSeeker

Driving a car beyond Sled Harbor is always a risk, with washouts and large rocks protruding through its surface it can leave you stranded in a hurry. There is logging going on in that area which also adds to the deterioration of the loamy surface,but that sometimes is a good thing seeing that the road will be at the least somewhat maintained. It was in decent shape the weekend of 8/2 but with down pours and rain in the forecast it's hard to say,as always use good judgment and most obstacles can be carefully tackled.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
forest dweller

Can these rocks be cleared or maneuvered around by a Honda Civic?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
dundee

I've driven a Camry down there in years past and always made it. It sometimes was a slow trip. I can't say about current conditions.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
top Ramen

Unimproved
Old 08-14-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
forest dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
I've driven a Camry down there in years past and always made it. It sometimes was a slow trip. I can't say about current conditions.
Camry has more clearance than a Corolla, and a Corolla has more clearance than a Civic...just saying!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
Brookie hunter

Go slow and you should be fine. Worst thing you just have to back up if you get to something you dont feel comfortable trying.
Brookie hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
alombard

Drove my 02 Camry back there (to spruce lake) 4 years ago. Caused significant damage to front end and undercarriage. About $2K worth. Never again.
-alombard #5624W
alombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I've got a civic. I wouldn't take the chance. Anyone telling you you should be OK should also offer to come tow you out if you get stuck!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Much may also depend on your level of skill/experience in driving on marginal dirt roads. If you don't want to take the chance you can always just walk in the extra distance, bring a bike and ride it in, or perhaps get a lift from one of the fine people you mentioned who might have a more suitable vehicle.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
forest dweller

I might have asked one of the fine people for a ride in but I am going in a day early...as far as I live from the Adirondacks I never go there for a single overnight.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
forest dweller

Anybody live nearby, own a truck and want to make a couple of bucks driving me back there?

Seems like the average recommendation is "don't do it", huh?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
b00tz

Been up there twice this year. My Mrs. always says she thinks she can drive a camry back there, untill this year when I showed her the colapsed culvert that had the roadway over the hood of my suburban. 'Burbon made it, barely. Unless they've fixed it by now, civic isn't getting to the trailhead.
b00tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #14
Slamdog

Saturday Conditions

Was in there Saturday 8/23. Passed a stopped chevy cavalier and two guys who had just taken the oil pan off their car. We were in a Subaru Baja, and also had an F250. We had to weave a little but made it back just fine. There was a Nissan Sentra parked in there at the trailhead as well. I wouldn't try it in a "regular" car..... I think the Sentra was mighty lucky.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #15
ChrisX24

Spruce Mountain is good to hike to! http://cnyhiking.com/SpruceMountain.htm
46R #5621 -- NE111 #627 -- CL50 #343 -- Firetowers Quest 28/28 -- working on TO54, NPT
ChrisX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 AM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX24 View Post
Spruce Mountain is good to hike to! http://cnyhiking.com/SpruceMountain.htm
This is a thread about Spruce Lake, not Spruce Mountain.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #17
ChrisX24

Condition of dirt road into Spruce Lake trailhead?

Whoops. My bad! I used search function for "Spruce"!
46R #5621 -- NE111 #627 -- CL50 #343 -- Firetowers Quest 28/28 -- working on TO54, NPT
ChrisX24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #18
fvrwld

Anyone have an update on this?

This recent trip report says that the road to the Pillsbury Mt. TH has been improved. I am wondering if perhaps the road to the Spruce Lake TH has been improved as well?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
cuterocky
Kalie

I was at the Spruce Lake trailhead at the end of July. I had no problems with my Subaru Crosstrek which does have a higher clearance (8.7 inches). Some others in my group drove to the trailhead in regular clearance cars. It's not as nice and smooth as the road to Pillsbury Mountain but it's definitely doable. Just take it a little slow and watch out for any big rocks sticking out.
CL50 #506
ADK 10/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #20
Jackson

I always bike or hike in, whenever in doubt.... heck, I used to do auto detailing and I don't even like getting a little dirt on my tires, let alone getting the paint dirty.........the horrors.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote