Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
SpencerVT

Every single 46r trail should be condemned and rebuilt

Virtually every single ADK 46r trail, herd trail, etc...should be condemned and rebuilt, probably on a different route. I went up by Santanoni this weekend to climb both Henderson peaks and the trails are so bad. Horrible erosion, washouts, blowdown, etc....Nearly 100 years is really taking a toll. Look at Cliff mountain? Good God.
Most of these trails should be condemned so they can heal, and new routes put in place, set up better to minimize the shocking amount of erosion that has occurred with the existing routes. Yeah, I know it would cost like a billion dollars, but I do tons of volunteer trail work every year so at least I'm putting my actions where my mouth is. It's just gotten so bad man.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
dundee

Yes, it has gotten bad. We are trying to fix things as we can. The Bradley Pond Trail is much better than it used to be and you can blame much of that problem on the loggers of the '20's. Yes, the Bradley Pond Trail was a logging road all the way to Duck Hole. The duck Hole Trail from Upper works was also a logging road (the trail may not follow the road exactly today).

I'm not sure re-routing is the answer, tho. some hikers will want to take the "old, historic" route to the summit and will keep that route open. Maybe the answer is to improve/harden the current trail like the steps on Mt. Colden.

I believe the long-term goal of the DEC is to mark and maintain the trailers peaks, but this will take awhile.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote