Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
tgoodwin

Angry Google Map Driving Directions Problems

A few years ago, there was a post on one of these forums titled "All Online Maps Suck". And when it comes to the driving directions associated with a Google Map search for destinations such as "Porter" or "Indian Head", Truer words were never spoken. Those driving directions take you to the closest road approach. In the case of Porter, users are told to drive the network of private roads in Adrian's Acres practically to the summit of Little Porter. With Indian Head, users are told they can drive to the Lower Ausable Lake. An approach to Johns Brook Lodge takes users up Smith Way onto the "jeep trail" that becomes the Southside Trail.

In each of the above cases and in many others I have discovered, the private landowners are becoming increasingly angry at these intrusions - especially when the additional use causes the need for additional road maintenance. No landowner has yet resorted to the "shotgun solution", but the anger and frustration are building.

I recently went through many of the local destinations and posted a review that warned of the problem with the driving directions and explained the correct approach. I did this because earlier attempts to click on the "suggest an edit" link did not produce any positive result other than an automated email letting me know they had received my suggestion.

Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that my efforts with the reviews will have only a limited benefit, because those who access the search with a phone do not see the review. I learned this on Friday when I had occasion to drive the Lake Road late Friday afternoon. I ended up giving a ride to a couple jogging up the road a little after 4 PM. They wanted to go to Indian Head, but had believed from their phone that they could have driven much closer.

So, does anyone out there know how to get past the available "suggest an edit" link so that I might be able to get these erroneous directions changed? If so, PM me with the info. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
Trail Boss

The problem is that Google Maps has coded the Lake Road to be accessible to the general public. Therefore when you ask it to define a driving route to "Indian Head, Keene Valley" it directs you to drive to the southern end of the Lake Road.

The Lake Road is correctly coded in OpenStreetMap (OSM). Any app that uses OSM for auto-routing, will NOT create a driving route along the Lake Road. However, if you switch to "walking" or "hiking" mode, it will direct you down the road because pedestrian access is permitted.

To get that message through to Google Maps, follow the instructions listed here:
https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t...ps/ba-p/149865

After clicking "Send Feedback", click "Edit the Map" (I imagine you'll need to be logged in with your Google Account), then select "Road is ... Private". Add an optional note then click "Submit".

If you've already done this then you've probably done all that can be done.

Google used to allow people to update its maps, like OpenStreetMap currently does, but shortly after this incident they revoked access. They were supposed to reinstate map-editing, with an improved vetting process, but I lost track of (and interest in) Google's progress.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #3
TCD

In my own neighborhood here in Keene, the Google map shows roads that are non-existent. (Not just private, but entirely non existent, nothing there but forest, there was never a road there). I have sent updates to Google, as have others, for years; nothing gets fixed. They just don't care.

If I have an important delivery or an important service call coming, I make sure to give the people "real" directions, and advise them not to rely on Google. It's all I can do.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Bagadeez04

I think when going on a hike in an unfamiliar area, it pays to do some research first. This forum is a great tool for trying to figure out what one will encounter with parking, roads near various trailheads.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Bagadeez04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
AvalanchePass

When did you suggest the edit?

I once mapped walking directions in Central Park that refused to use a tunnel under a road.

From the page displaying the directions I selected Menu -> "Send feedback".

On 10/12/2014 I received "Thanks for taking the time to report a problem with Google Maps. We'll send you an update once your report has been reviewed to let you know the resolution."

On 11/04/2014 I received "Thank you for reporting this problem. We've reviewed your problem and you were right! The default view in Google Maps has already been updated to reflect your suggested change, as shown below."

Indeed, it had been fixed.

Perhaps the volume of reports have increased dramatically since 2014. But what you are describing is much more serious than what I reported.
AvalanchePass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #6
tgoodwin

I have tried all of the above suggestions already. Yes, probably the number of requested changes has increased since 2014, or because it was in such a "civilized area" your change got more attention.

I got what I thought was a new approach in response to my similar post on the "Aspiring ADK 46-Rs" Facebook page, but that eventually led me back to the same screen I had already tried.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
Trail Boss

Official Google Maps "Report an error":
https://support.google.com/maps/answ..._topic=3093612

Basically, it's what was already described above and what you've already tried. Let us know if they ever get around to coding the Lake Road as a private road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
In my own neighborhood here in Keene, the Google map shows roads that are non-existent. (Not just private, but entirely non existent, nothing there but forest, there was never a road there).
TIGER
Topologically Integrated Geographic Encoding and Referencing system

It's a public domain source of geographic features.
https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data...databases.html

I've seen several "phantom roads" in OpenStreetMap that one cannot find in satellite imagery or on the ground. When I check the source of these roads, invariably it is TIGER ... so blame the US Census Bureau.

According to this wiki page, OSM completed the import of the US TIGER database in 2007 ... as a starting point for mapping. I wouldn't be surprised if Google used TIGER as well.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:11 AM   #8
TCD

Interesting background info. Thanks!

Still disappointing that the mighty Google shows zero interest in fixing these errors, despite being told about them through many channels, for many years, by many people.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
suescanal

We live on a hill on dead-end road. A few years ago, during a blizzard, we went outside to find a van filled with people trying to make their way over the mountain as a shortcut to the Thruway. It was a "straight line" on the map. I contacted De Lorme and eventually it was revised.
Here's a GPS story some of you may be familiar with:http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-35482537
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:30 PM   #10
Klinkhamer

This is why I carry the NYS Atlas and Gazetteer of topo maps in my car instead of relying on phone, or have a real map with compass with me when hiking\kayaking.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
Trail Boss

FWIW, GPS use/misuse is not responsible for Google Map's inaccuracies or foot-dragging.

Delorme publishes the NYS Atlas & Gazetteer and also offers their maps in digital format (Delorme Street Atlas USA). All maps, whether hard-copy or digital, are subject to publishing errors and becoming outdated. What sets them apart is their ability to remain current.

Digital maps can be updated (and published) more frequently, and cost-effectively, than paper versions. However, the process requires attention to detail plus receptiveness to reported changes. That's the core issue of this thread, namely Google Maps doesn't always act promptly when errors/changes are reported. It would appear Delorme is more responsive.