Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2017, 01:42 AM   #1
madison

Oil Tankers to be stored in Adirondacks Indefinitely

Well, this is alarming and infuriating.

https://www.adirondack.net/whatsnew/...d-on-railroad/
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I've been following Iowa Pacific's maneuverings for some time now.
They have strategically placed old train cars in other areas throughout the US, usually in sensitive and/or disruptive locations, then negotiated for a settlement to remove said cars.
Kind of like a ransom in reverse. I see they have already made their initial ransom demands here...
Did anyone really believe that tailings transport plan?

I have faith that NYS and the APA (and maybe DEC) will devise a way to oust these leeches without excessive taxpayer burden.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #3
JohnnyVirgil

I saw some video of the second batch of 25 they delivered on Monday. Not nearly in as good of shape as the ones in that article. They say they "have room" for about 2000 cars in total.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Wldrns

For most of the summer tankers were stored solidly connected end to end on the tracks between Boonville and at least as far as Lyons Falls, a distance of 14 miles. I see most of them are gone now.

Last edited by Wldrns; 11-01-2017 at 11:03 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Terasec

an old rail line borders my property,
on occassion they store box cars and tankers along the line, usually for 2-4 weeks at a time
in 20 years owning the property never had a problem with it,
rather have empty cars sitting, than full cars rumbling along daily
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
TCD

I've been watching this for a long time also. Definitely political maneuvering. But my thought is that the tailings transport plan IS actually the goal, and that Iowa Pacific has determined that it's feasible. I have suspected that the tank car storage is a red herring to help get permission for the tailings plan. But who knows?

A couple notes:

Cars have to go somewhere; most people don't want them in their back yard...

Pipelines would greatly reduce the numbers of these cars that are needed. But we protest against pipelines just as vociferously as we protest against these cars...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

I wonder what kind of impact a line of parked rail tankers several miles long has on the deer & moose movement during the rut season...?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
Wldrns

At least they leave breaks in the tanker line where track cross side and secondary roads.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #9
madison

So here's the issue in a nutshell, as I understand it...

A railway company, worth millions of dollars, with a board and CEO who are all millionaires, has some junky old rail cars full of who knows what kind of toxic garbage that would cost a lot of money to dispose of properly. So they line the cars up for miles in the Adirondack back country, and let it be known that, for a few million or so in taxpayer money, they'll move the cars and toxic waste somewhere else. And they are apparently not breaking any laws.

Seems perfectly reasonable.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #10
TCD

Not defending the company, but this seems inflammatory without fact checking it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
A railway company, worth millions of dollars
>The only articles I could find indicated that the company is financially struggling and having a hard time paying its debts...

with a board and CEO who are all millionaires
>I could not find any information anywhere that suggests this. Maybe it's correct, but I can't confirm...

has some junky old rail cars
>No, they don't have them. the cars are from other rail companies. This is a storage service business they are trying to run. It's not their decision to dispose of the cars; they don't own them...

full of who knows what kind of toxic garbage
>Cars have been cleaned and inspected. Now, maybe the cleaning was inadequate, and maybe there is toxic garbage in the cars, but I have not seen an independent report that this is the case...
Old 11-02-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I've been following Iowa Pacific's maneuverings for some time now.
They have strategically placed old train cars in other areas throughout the US, usually in sensitive and/or disruptive locations, then negotiated for a settlement to remove said cars.
Kind of like a ransom in reverse. I see they have already made their initial ransom demands here...
Did anyone really believe that tailings transport plan?

I have faith that NYS and the APA (and maybe DEC) will devise a way to oust these leeches without excessive taxpayer burden.
Interesting topic. Chicago Tribune Article. Sept 2017
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...920-story.html

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Some of the graffiti on these tankers alone does not belong in our Adirondacks, let alone a stash of old junk rail cars several miles long & growing!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
Interesting topic. Chicago Tribune Article. Sept 2017
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...920-story.html

Don
That's one way to make some fast cash.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Never thought I'd ever see inner-city gang graffiti in the heart of the Adirondacks. Man times are a changing!
Old 11-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #15
Banjoe

Wait, didn't a judge rule in September that railroads in the Adirondacks are "travel corridors"? (A ruling the state has just appealed.) Doesn't seem to me these trains are traveling anywhere.
There is a string of these tankers a couple miles long adjacent to Rt. 86 in the Southern Tier that hasn't moved in many years. One explanation I remember reading is they are waiting for stricter tanker regulations to be reversed. I'm pretty surprised that hasn't happened in the last 9 months.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #16
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Question for the legal minds,
Since the tailing transport plan didn't seem to work, what's to prevent NL or IoPac (sorry IP is for International Paper, lets not defile it) from using the old mine site for a scrap processing yard?
Seems they're quite happy to flood the line with as many DOT111's as can fit, so what if they said in the future - there are too many of they to move them out, we need to cut them up and ship them out?

I sure hope that's not their plan, but you know checkers vs chess...
Old 11-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #17
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Never thought I'd ever see inner-city gang graffiti in the heart of the Adirondacks. Man times are a changing!
This isn't the first; an area on the summit of Buck Mt. was spray painted and also along the Giant Ridge Trail within the last year or so. Both have been cleaned up, but I agree, sad.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #18
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
This isn't the first; an area on the summit of Buck Mt. was spray painted and also along the Giant Ridge Trail within the last year or so. Both have been cleaned up, but I agree, sad.
Agreed, people suck. It's just the first time that I've seen imported graffiti into the Adirondacks. Some people have claimed that these tankers have been cleaned, clearly not on the outside.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:14 AM   #19
JerseyHighlander

Next time it rains, somebody with some lab experience should be taking samples of the runoff...
JerseyHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:49 AM   #20
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Now Justin, my "smarter" peers tell me that that is an art form, and that you and I might be guilty of some kind of cultural supremacy bias for doubting its artistic value...