Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Motorized Equipment

FYI - http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....art_river_home

*** Edited the title for accuracy (sorry, can't edit main title)***

Last edited by sp_nyp; 11-06-2017 at 03:56 PM..
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
adkman12986

Actually I don't see the issue as long as they are used with respect to privacy. It will allow others to see just what a beautiful park we have and the need to protect it.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
Actually I don't see the issue as long as they are used with respect to privacy. It will allow others to see just what a beautiful park we have and the need to protect it.

Lots of issues come up with drones hunters may use them to help locate game
Non hunters can use them to scare off game
Anyone posting video to a public site like youtube will require permit
As drones become more popular and cheaper will. Find many left behind littering the forests
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
The one i experienced at Lake Lila was annoyingly loud. It sounded like a dirt bike or a chain saw, but like if you heard it from farther away.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #5
geogymn

We seek the deep woods to escape the daily ritual of hustle bustle filled with motorized sound. Can we not have a special place devoid of the reminder of life's constant push to increase the speed of our trek into the nether world.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Can we not have a special place...
No.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM   #7
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
No.
Well, that's all settled, then.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #8
geogymn

LOL, well stated retort!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #9
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
Lots of issues come up with drones hunters may use them to help locate game
Non hunters can use them to scare off game
Anyone posting video to a public site like youtube will require permit
As drones become more popular and cheaper will. Find many left behind littering the forests
The simple solution to that is to post regulations that forbid hunters from using drones when out hunting. There is no need for a blanket ban.

Otherwise, if you're just going out to get some shots of the scenery, I really don't see the problem. They do offer great opportunities for photographers and filmmakers to get shots that would otherwise be impossible to get. They're still very expensive, and I'm more concerned about people leaving behind trash than leaving behind a drone.

Also, I don't know how the DEC can consider this thing to be a vehicle; it's not being used as a means of transport.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
The simple solution to that is to post regulations that forbid hunters from using drones when out hunting. There is no need for a blanket ban.

Otherwise, if you're just going out to get some shots of the scenery, I really don't see the problem. They do offer great opportunities for photographers and filmmakers to get shots that would otherwise be impossible to get. They're still very expensive, and I'm more concerned about people leaving behind trash than leaving behind a drone.

Also, I don't know how the DEC can consider this thing to be a vehicle; it's not being used as a means of transport.
Uhmmm, chainsaws are not a form of transport either...
Old 11-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #11
Trail Boss

The title of this thread, "Motorized vehicles", is misleading/incorrect. The DEC regulation forbids the operation of Motorized EQUIPMENT in the High Peaks Wilderness.

Regulation: 190.13.f.3.iv

Last edited by Trail Boss; 11-05-2017 at 09:43 PM..
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:48 PM   #12
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
The title of this thread, "Motorized vehicles", is misleading/incorrect. The DEC regulation forbids the operation of Motorized EQUIPMENT in the High Peaks Wilderness.

Does this mean I have to leave my massager at home as well?

montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:10 PM   #13
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Does this mean I have to leave my massager at home as well?
Yes.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #14
Bounder45

Quote:

And yet an aircraft can fly overhead for tourist or recreational purposes.

It just seems trivial that the DEC is going to tell people they can't fly drones in certain wilderness areas. If people want to hike those things in to get scenic shots, I say let them do it.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
... If people want to hike those things in to get scenic shots, I say let them do it.
Until it ruins your peace & quiet.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #16
Trail Boss

Aircraft operate in FAA-controlled airspace which isn't in the DEC's jurisdiction. However, what happens on the ground in the HPWA is in their jurisdiction. Which is why, in the HPWA, the general public cannot operate chainsaws or generators, ride ATVs or motorcycles, or launch motorized aircraft like drones.

The loophole is that you can launch a drone outside of the HPWA and fly over it (in FAA-controlled airspace) provided you maintain line of sight (an FAA restriction for non-commercial drone operators). That restriction effectively prevents the general public from flying drones over any of the 4K summits.

Alternately, drone operators can pick another part of the vast Adirondack Park where the regulation doesn't apply.

FWIW, I have no problem if the DEC permits drone operation in the HPWA for scientific and SAR purposes. I would prefer they continue to disallow recreational use of drones in the HPWA.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
bluequill

At about 4pm this afternoon I witnessed a couple flying their drones at Cascade Lake.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #18
Wldrns

You can report environmental and regulatory violations here:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/67751.html
Old 11-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #19
Trail Boss

I can confirm that submitting a regulatory violation via the online form will get attention. I recently reported a violation involving the use of a drone within the HPWA (documented in a video). A week later, I followed up with a phone call and was informed they had reviewed the evidence and were actively investigating it.

I don't know what if anything will come of it but my goal was simply to inform them of the violation.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
Bounder45

Quote:
Aircraft operate in FAA-controlled airspace which isn't in the DEC's jurisdiction. However, what happens on the ground in the HPWA is in their jurisdiction. Which is why, in the HPWA, the general public cannot operate chainsaws or generators, ride ATVs or motorcycles, or launch motorized aircraft like drones.
Where does FAA supervision end and DEC supervision begin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Until it ruins your peace & quiet.
Right, because with the hundreds, sometimes thousands, of other people visiting the High Peaks on any given summer weekend, a few drones flying overhead is just going to ruin that peace and quiet.

I don't understand why there is always so much resistance to new forms of recreation in the ADK's. You can go fly a drone over some remote Crown Land in the far northern reaches of Ontario, CA, but dammit if you fly one in the High Peaks you're destroying someone's nature experience, and never mind the sight-seeing planes flying overhead....just doesn't make sense.