Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
Troutfisher

sleeping bag

Could someone please recommend a good cold weather sleeping bag? I woke up to 5 degrees above zero saturday morn, the most recent of many cold nights when my gear was not good enough. Thanks!
Troutfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Terasec

Whats your budget?
Also do you hike considerable distance in winter? Or staying close to the car?
Lots of good low priced bags but if you want small and light prices skyrocket
Slumberjack brand has suited me well
Heard good things about klymit
And wiggys has a cult following
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Troutfisher

no long distance winter hiking, so weight's not really an issue. I'll look into those bags. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #4
bioguide

If you plan on doing any type of hiking with it don't go for a Wiggy's they don't pack/compress well. I have a Wiggy's Ultima Thul -20 and an Overbag and stopped using it for winter trips as it takes up to much room on my sled. It would be a joke trying to compress and pack it with any other gear on a backpack. I went for a Western Mountaineering Sequoia Down bag which compresses very nicely. Pricey yes but worth it IMO.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
Pauly D.

Feathered Friends for me. Regardless of the bag you choose you'll need some kind of insulation underneath you to be comfortable in the cold. I use a thick Thermarest sleeping pad with a backpacking cot in Winter. More stuff, more money, takes up more room....etc
Old 11-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
Feathered Friends for me. Regardless of the bag you choose you'll need some kind of insulation underneath you to be comfortable in the cold. I use a thick Thermarest sleeping pad with a backpacking cot in Winter. More stuff, more money, takes up more room....etc
I agree... ground insulation is a must.. I use an Exped Synmat 7 with a chair kit and no cot in winter when I'm hauling the sled.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:59 AM   #7
yardsale

What is the R value of that thermarest? You might need to upgrade that as well.

We love the Exped 9 but the 7 is way cheaper.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
electbc
Outdoorsman

Canadian military sleep system. Two down bags,fleece liner, compression sack. The king arthur hood is the fifth piece to go with it. It just so happens that there are some on ebay right now, one of them is mine. Coincidence eh?
There are plenty of quality vintage down bags for auction if you go the used option.

Last edited by electbc; 11-15-2017 at 02:22 PM..
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
muller_jim

Both Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering have excellent reputations for quality, warm, light sleeping bags.
muller_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
Troutfisher

Quote:
I've never used a sleeping pad. I have an aluminum framed cot, I roll out my bag on that. maybe that's my trouble.......... Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #11
Pauly D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
What is the R value of that thermarest? You might need to upgrade that as well.

We love the Exped 9 but the 7 is way cheaper.
It's 11. Thermarest MondoKing. Huge and comfy. I got it on sale at Cabelas last year.

Troutfisher I tried a cot without the sleeping pad at first. It didn't work even with a down bag. You might want to try a thick sleeping pad before spending $$$ on a new down winter bag. You'll probably end up needing both but its worth a shot.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #12
electbc
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutfisher View Post
I've never used a sleeping pad. I have an aluminum framed cot, I roll out my bag on that. maybe that's my trouble.......... Thanks for the reply!
It sure can be the main problem. What I did last year was get one of those bungy cargo nets and position a down sleeping bag, one bag of the Canadian system, under my cot. This was quite warm but somewhat hard. I then tried an Exped 7, (R 5.9) on top and that was most comfortable, warm and soft, maybe better than home.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #13
yardsale

Quote:
It's 11. Thermarest MondoKing. Huge and comfy. I got it on sale at Cabelas last year.

Troutfisher I tried a cot without the sleeping pad at first. It didn't work even with a down bag. You might want to try a thick sleeping pad before spending $$$ on a new down winter bag. You'll probably end up needing both but its worth a shot.
Troutfisher, I agree with Pauly D. Consider purchase of one of the above mentioned pads or something else with a 5+ rating and try that out before dumping big bucks on a new bag. You could also extend the range of your bag with gear you already have such as down booties, insulated pants or Primaloft jacket. Resist the temptation to stuff yourself into your current bag with a down jacket as you will just compress the bag itself, reducing its efficiency.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote