Spring thru hikes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring thru hikes...

Has anyone ever thru hiked the Northville Placid Trail in early April?
    "Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."

--Chief Seattle

Surely you mean "waded" the NPT in early April!!

It's doable. However with the runoff, there will be many places where the trail is a bog, ad unfortunately many people walk around the deep mud and mess up the trail earlier.

Wear waterproof boots and gaiters, take several pairs of dry socks as well as a pair of "crocs" or some other water shoe to wade through some deep streams.

As for the enjoyment. If the buds are on the trees, then I wouold say it's worth it. If not, I would say to wait, because the "tweener" between winters end and the beginning of new life is kind of blah, as well as damp.
    "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

I have done almost all of the trail in sections, and all of that in April. Redhawk is correct about the wetness. Some stretches were fine, but one of those sections, just north of Piseco, had well over a foot of snow for several miles (in spite of the ranger's comments to the contrary and that snowshoes were not necessary!), so we postholed for quite a bit of that stretch - a hard trek - mud started looking good to us! Some water crossings were an issue as well. Of course, all of this depends upon the year's weather, but if I had to do it over (and I will be doing it over!), I'd wait.

Comment

how about now?

Thinking of doing a chunk of the NPT trail next week. Anybody know how if the trail is broken? Going to snowshoe it, but is it cross country skiable? I am wondering also what part if not all are broken?

thanks
        shaggy

Comment

Originally posted by shaggy
          Thinking of doing a chunk of the NPT trail next week. Anybody know how if the trail is broken? Going to snowshoe it, but is it cross country skiable? I am wondering also what part if not all are broken?

thanks
          shaggy
          Think it the answers depend on which "chunk" Shaggy.

I haven't checked the Southern Terminus, and the last two miles of the road to Whitehouse is closed so I havemn't been in there. I do now that there is a lot of snowmelt here in Wells, so I would expect that the trail from Upper Benson to Piseco would be a combination of snow/slush/slog and runoff. Don't know if snowshoes will be practical for the Southern end or not.

It may be better from the West Canada lake Wilderness North.
          "If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk
            Think it the answers depend on which "chunk" Shaggy.

I haven't checked the Southern Terminus, and the last two miles of the road to Whitehouse is closed so I havemn't been in there. I do now that there is a lot of snowmelt here in Wells, so I would expect that the trail from Upper Benson to Piseco would be a combination of snow/slush/slog and runoff. Don't know if snowshoes will be practical for the Southern end or not.

It may be better from the West Canada lake Wilderness North.
            No first hand knowledge, but from my recollection of the various parts of the trail at this time of year, Redhawk is probably correct. Perhaps check with the ranger -- although (see my post above) it was less than helpful to me at the time! I don't know how much traffic the trail has had in recent weeks, but I'd be inclined to have the snowshoes along, unless I learned for certain that they weren't necessary.

Comment

Thanks guys. Maybe not going to do it, don't know. chatten with my buddy tonight. thinking that or delaware ridge in catskills. something that is 3 day 2 night. Thanks again!

shaggs

Comment

Working...
              X