Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 PM   #21
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
were the missing pieces of the container found at the scene?
I was thinking if the bear ingested the missing pieces of polycarbonate and it caused a blockage or tear in the intestine then the bear would've been in serious trouble. instead of passing the plastic the entire bear passes.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #22
Yury
ADK 10/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I know of two brands, BearVault and and Lil' Sami, that offer bear-canisters made of polycarbonate. Both use a narrow concentric depressions, "channels", to strengthen the sidewalls. BearVault calls them "retention guides" for straps used to attach the canister to one's pack. These guides are located mid-height and well away from the top and bottom.[/img][/url]
I do not see any "concentric depressions/channel" on my BV450.
Yury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #23
Wldrns

A few years ago, shortly after the regulation went into effect, I saw a Garcia canister with a portion of the bottom edge chewed completely through. it was rented from the HPIC, who said the renter told them he observed a red squirrel work on chewing it through over a 3 day period. If I were the HPIC I would have charged the guy full price for the preventable damage.

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-11-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #24
Hear the Footsteps

When I bought a cannister for a trip to Colorado this summer the EMS in Saratoga where I bought it was selling Bear Keg. However they were still renting the same one as you could rent at the HPIC.

Part of the description for the Beak Keg that pertains to bear security.

- Smooth sides with round edges leave nothing for bears to grip

It's also it is heavier that the others suggesting thicker walls.

Don

Last edited by Hear the Footsteps; 10-11-2018 at 07:04 PM..
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:33 AM   #25

I've used the Garcia ones since the rule was put in place. Never had evidence that bears found them, let alone tried to open them. That being said, I have seen the "water bottle" type like this one in question destroyed as if they were, well, water bottles.

Just use the Garcia or the Bear Vault. Simple solution.
2505 is offline   Reply With Quote