Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #21
Gman

Glen... I once owned a metal flake bass boat...
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
mossarden

I agree with you dundee...and I had three motorcycles myself (Yamaha's, a while back) and I loved them. I live in Lake George and quite familiar with the routine during Americade...straight pipes riders pay the fine in court then get right back on their too loud bikes and ride away. Bill Dutcher, the organizer of Americade, also does not appreciate the straight pipes crowd. He rides a very quiet retro Kawasaki, which I have ridden on.

Last edited by mossarden; 10-01-2013 at 10:09 AM..
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
mossarden

One June, my partner and I brought our canoe, ladden with our gear, the mile plus carry back into Lost Pond (in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness) for a few days to get away from 'Bike week'. It's an amazing spot...spooky and wild...But can you believe... along with the owls and other night creatures we actually heard a large band of loud motorcycles roar by out on Route 74
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #24
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossarden View Post
One June, my partner and I brought our canoe, ladden with our gear, the mile plus carry back into Lost Pond (in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness) for a few days to get away from 'Bike week'. It's an amazing spot...spooky and wild...But can you believe... along with the owls and other night creatures we actually heard a large band of loud motorcycles roar by out on Route 74
Oh, I can top that!
We were camped on Long Pond, near the entrance to Pink. We heard the unmistakable roar of straight pipes (announcing the owner's small penis, no doubt) from the put in...I looked with a pair of binoculars and saw this dipsh!t leaning against his bike, having a leisurely smoke. By the time we put the boat in to paddle over and tell him he shouldn't be there, he fired it back up and rode away.

A real cool guy
Old 10-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #25
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Way I figure it, they pay there taxes and for thre registrations and licenses, just like the rest of us so they gave the same right, to drive wherever they want, whenever they want. Thye noise doesn't bother me unles it's 2 am and some idiot is gunning it in front of my house.
I suppose this is right although there is a law that a muffler must be in place. As far as I know NY does not have a formal dB law like California does.

As far as the actual noise traveling. It most certainly will be projected forward unless you are travelling faster than the speed of sound or you have some kind of barrier in front of the source to deflect the waves.

I will also prove that the sound is a very effective method of determining the position of a vehicle behind you...

I have mentioned I race karts. If you do not know, karts do not have rear view mirrors. We use 'mufflers' of sorts but they are typically in the 90-95dB @ 3m range (that is pretty loud, at least as loud if not louder than a straight pipe Harley). The engine sits right under your right arm and the exhaust usually curves around exits right behind your left ear. You can most certainly hear your own engine. The real point is... you can most certainly hear someone approaching you from behind. The human ear is very sensitive to pitch change and you will hear the pitch change even if the same engine is approaching right from behind you. This is actually how we manage to race and not crash into each other while passing and being passed without mirrors.

If something approaches you very fast and has a high frequency source (say a crotch rocket) you may not hear it until gets right next to you. I believe this is due to the frequency being Doppler shifted into the upper register of our hearing range where we cannot hear as well. I know this from experience and I've never had a close call with a Harley but I've almost wrecked into many idiots on rice rockets.

So in some sense there is some physics to back it up.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #26
bluequill

I get the scientific explanation about the noise but in a practical sense it doesn't work. It might be ok when riding around other bikers or racers who are attune to the noise but for someone else (pedestrians, grandma or uncle Ted) who are not familiar with the noise it is useless. There is a reason why all road vehicles have mirrors.

And from a safety point of view that is so bogus, they wear leather from head to toe to protect them from getting torn up in an accident and wind protection........yet complain about having to wear a helmet.

We know what the real reason is that bikers like big rumbling exhausts.........
it makes everything else seem BIGGER.

(BTW, I used to ride so I have sarcastic license)
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

A story: Years ago I took my boys on a short, overnight canoe trip. We went in (not very far) from Follensby Clear. After setting up camp, we heard the loud and unmistakable whine of a bunch of sports bikes travelling way too fast on the road.
"What's that? What's that?" Thomas asked, half panicked.
In an effort to calm him I asked him what he thought the sound was.
His answer: "Killer bees."
Old 10-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

l'oiseau,
You're confusing two different phenomena...
You describe, in part, the Doppler Effect, this is in play, that much is true.

But what we see with these loud straight exhausts is a clear example of the Dopler Effect, whereby, stupid ideas seem smarter when approaching you at high speed!!
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Ha! I'd never heard of that one.

I don't disagree... they can be too loud. But I think the same can be said for Japanese bikes as well.

I too have thought I was being attacked by a swarm of killer bees hearing them racing around the streets at night... and I know they had mufflers on - some of the sport/racing mufflers are still far too loud for street use.

We should have a dB law like California... although I suppose that would do about as much good as the texting/cell phone law. If I had a nickel for every time I saw someone texting and driving I'd be relaxing at my chalet in the Adirondacks eating wine and cheese instead of eating cold cuts and water at work!

PS off topic:

I almost forgot about this but I saw a female cop the other day texting while driving... and highly doubt a pink hello kitty smartphone is being used for official police business!
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
TCD

ot: So did you try to get yourself a citation for something? Anything!?!!!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #31
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Vtflyfish, circa 1971:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 138.JPG (119.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #32
Glen
Check please

Typical punk.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
Odyssey

Bikes are cool. I wish I rode one. I wish I could afford one! There’s a beach town nearby which hosts a bike event every Friday the 13th.
http://www.pd13.com
I went one year, and loved it. The little town that hosts this however, is divided; some love the tourist revenue, others hate the noise. People ought to be free to make their own “lifestyle” choices, but when others have to make compromises to accommodate yours, then it’s not cool. Noisy pipes are nothing more and nothing less than – remember when we’d fasten baseball cards to our bicycle forks to FLAP in our spokes?
Same thing. Kids should be kids, loud bikers should grow up.
Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #34
Buffalo VR

A little of my background.
I've been riding for over 30 yrs. I worked at a multi-line dealer for over 20 yrs. in NY state. I've owned dozens of bikes, and ridden hundreds of different bikes. I've done road trips of 1000+mi. with many different bikes, and just as many different riders. I have never met a true rider who honestly enjoys riding on or near any bike with loud pipes.

The entire "loud pipes save lives" was someones perverted interpretation of the Hurt report. Loud pipes were never part of the Hurt report. The Hurt report stated that visibility is a contributing factor in motorcycle accidents. Someone decided that visibility= noise. This has never been proven, not yet anyway.

If you think loud pipes are going to help stop a cager from changing lanes into you, you seriously need to learn how to ride. You should never put yourself into a position where that can happen, you should always ride as if you are invisible and totally silent.

Now onto the legal aspect. In NY it is illegal for a licensed MC shop to put any exhaust onto a MC that is not an OEM replacement.

NY does have a DB limit law.
from here(first place I found it online)http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/moto...-noise-limits/

New York
The maximum allowable sound level is 82 decibels for any motorcycle traveling at any speed. This is to be measured at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane in which the motorcycle is traveling.

For some reason most(virtually all) LEOs in NY do not enforce this.

I could go on about this subject for quite a bit...
Loud pipes give all bikers a poor image to the non-riding public.

Me? yep, I have an aftermarket exhaust. The quietest one I could get. It is also one of the few tunable pipes available. Why? My motor is not stock and I gained a definitive performance increase, along with removing 15lbs from the weight of my bike. Would a louder pipe have gotten me any more gains? Not street riding.

my final thought on loud pipes…

"If loud pipes save lives,
just imagine what learning to ride that thing would do!"
Buffalo VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #35
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Vtflyfish, circa 1971:
Is that a Norton Commando? Man your badder than the baddestYou look like Peter Fonda....sitting atop a tough bike going commando.

Last edited by Gman; 10-01-2013 at 11:12 PM..
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #36
Rusty and the Maniac

Not just follensby, you can hear bikes (and trucks) on rt 30 right up through most of the srca on a quiet night!

Oh, and as an ER nurse, i just want to say that you can be the safest motorcyclist out there, but most of the time it's not your fault when the car kills you (but the end result is still the same). Those things are just not safe. Ok, off my soapbox
Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #37
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Is that a Norton Commando? Man your badder than the baddestYou look like Peter Fonda....sitting atop a tough bike going commando.
Commando 850. That picture documents the one day of my life I was certifiably cool. Now look at me: a 62 year old balding, fly fishing engineer...
Old 10-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #38
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Commando 850. That picture documents the one day of my life I was certifiably cool. Now look at me: a 62 year old balding, fly fishing engineer...
A toast to the rebel dude! Nik, Nik!
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
Gman

Well if you weren't aware of it before you should be now. The news channels and papers have been all over the 20-30 bikers/guy in SUV conflict down state. After my trip to the ADK's I was a little kinder to the bikers then I wanted only picking out the straight pipe jerks but then a lot of bikers do act like arses even without the pipes.

First question...

Why do bikers have to ride in big groups/gangs/clubs whatever? Can't you just go on a ride with a couple buddies and fit in? Last week Long Lake and Old Forge were filled with bikers. I'm not into biker code but it sure looked to me they were staking out the primo turf...."the fat greaseball chapter of Northern Jersey has claimed this beer patio....take a hike".

Like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry was an Anti-Dentite (Dentists). Maybe I am a Anti-Biker...whatever.

Now keep in mind I did own a bike (umm Kawasaki), my 2nd best friend owns a Harley and I am anti Bass Boat but until recently I did own a metal flake Stratus.

Last edited by Gman; 10-08-2013 at 01:12 AM..
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #40
geogymn

I hate bikes, me brother has a bike, I hate them because I think he is unnecessarily heading into harms way (read; biking is dangerous), but he thinks the same when I solo hike. To each his own.