Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Gman

Bikers and straight pipes

For those who ask what is a straight pipe it is an exhaust without muffler, also in this group you could add exhaust with baffles loosened, removed or tampered to make one thing....NOISE! Now you know what I mean.

Just returned from a few days in the ADK's, nice time, beautiful weather. Only complaint as is often the case are the bikers with loud bikes. One is bad enough but why do they have to ride in gangs? Nothing says peaceful drive thru the Adirondacks like a dozen middle age guys Harleys roaring up on your back bumper.

These guys say they have loud bikes for safety....! Like I'm somehow not going to see a dozen motorcycles. Or its about performance....if you were concerned about performance and safety you wouldn't be driving an overpriced piece of garbage Harley or wearing that silly little skull cap.

You bikers may think the straight pipes, leathers, make believe gang insignias, wallet on chain and all the other crap that HD sells on being a H.O.G. that you think says tough guy but what you are actually saying is I have a Viagara prescription and small penis.

Also add....You're a really gullible consumer. Like a high school kid with money..You spent $20K on image and really bad 20 year old technology.

Last edited by Gman; 09-29-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

"I feel your anger, Luke"
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Gman

Thank you Obi Wan....I dunno, I don't know Star Trek
Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
richard1726

Love the last sentence. From my observations most Harley motorcycles don't make much more noise than most pickup trucks since they spend most of their time on trailers.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
Love the last sentence. From my observations most Harley motorcycles don't make much more noise than most pickup trucks since they spend most of their time on trailers.
Uh.. no. not on a nice New England foliage day. Go to Errol NH and you will find hordes of Quebec riders. No trailer around. Do not ever get in the customs line behind them unless you have a book.

They are the most chic looking riders around. Its the French influence I believe.. For every guy on a cycle there is a chick on a cycle. And not trying to look like an outlaw. Gotta give those Canadians style points.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
For those who ask what is a straight pipe it is an exhaust without muffler, also in this group you could add exhaust with baffles loosened, removed or tampered to make one thing....NOISE! Now you know what I mean.

Just returned from a few days in the ADK's, nice time, beautiful weather. Only complaint as is often the case are the bikers with loud bikes. One is bad enough but why do they have to ride in gangs? Nothing says peaceful drive thru the Adirondacks like a dozen middle age guys Harleys roaring up on your back bumper.

These guys say they have loud bikes for safety....! Like I'm somehow not going to see a dozen motorcycles. Or its about performance....if you were concerned about performance and safety you wouldn't be driving an overpriced piece of garbage Harley or wearing that silly little skull cap.

You bikers may think the straight pipes, leathers, make believe gang insignias, wallet on chain and all the other crap that HD sells on being a H.O.G. that you think says tough guy but what you are actually saying is I have a Viagara prescription and small penis.

Also add....You're a really gullible consumer. Like a high school kid with money..You spent $20K on image and really bad 20 year old technology.
!!!

I agree with everything you said, except for the 20 year old technology part. My dad and uncle raced Harleys and Indians in the late 1930's. The basic engine design is unchanged since then...
Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
!!!

I agree with everything you said, except for the 20 year old technology part. My dad and uncle raced Harleys and Indians in the late 1930's. The basic engine design is unchanged since then...
Yea I know but a couple things VT...I didn't want to be accused of hyperbole and I think they may have done some work on the suspension and braking since....the 30's.

After I posted this I went for a drive and beer run....its a gorgeous day here too. The bikers are out in full force. Nice to see the old lads with the wives on the Goldwings purring along.....don't even mind the kids on the crotch rockets zipping around. But saw a whole hoard of yahoos on old HD's with skull bandana's covering there faces. Why do they all run around in big groups? Are they afraid of getting there asses kicked?

I mean deep down they know a middle-aged, overweight chain smoker who can't get an un-assisted hardon ain't much of a threat to anyone..... Except his poor wife who has to put out for the hairy behemoth and his Mini Sizzler

Last edited by Gman; 09-29-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
skillzman1

Harley Davidson. definition.- the most efficient way of mixing fuel and air to induce noise without the harmful side effects of horsepower.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
bluequill

Yeah, I don't get the noise thing as a safety tool. IF they were concerned about safety they would be be wearing fluorescent orange vests for visibility not disturbing others with that garbage. Can you just picture orange skull caps with matching orange leather chaps....they would be quite pretty.

However, if having to choose, I would much rather listen to a Harley than a crotch rocket.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Well, boys, I happen to ride a motorcycle, are you going to berate me too? And it's a big one. My bike is quiet, gets 55 mpg, and can pass any car on the rode at any time. Oh, and I wear a full face helmet and proper apparel, always. But I don't belong to a club (they don't call themselves gangs).

I talk to lots of guys with the loud pipes...out of the left side of their mouths they say it's for safety...when I question whether the constant drone bothers them, out of the right side of their mouths they say OH, NO, the noise is behind them!! Behind them!! Then how is that announce their arrival and ensure safety????
So, you probably guessed, I'm not impressed with those loud exhausts. The NYS inspection shops should fail these things as soon as they hear them...and the riders should be ticketed whenever they pass by.

I won't bother to delve into the whole Harley thing, those bikes are decidedly overpriced and underperforming, but hey, those buyers keep a lot of people employed!!

For the record, I have a Kawasaki 900...it's water cooled, fuel injected, belt driven and very comfortable, but I can't find a way to carry my boats with it!

I have a B-I-L that belongs to a "club", bunch of old biddies..
He said he wanted to ride to Chicago for some kind of meet, but couldn't get anyone to go with him, saying it's not safe. I asked "not safe?? You mean the roads? Or fear of breakdown?" No...he says he'll get his a$$ kicked by rival "clubs" if he doesn't have a large enough possie. What is this, 1880??!!
Oh, and everyone in this "club" must ride a Harley!!
It's like middle school on steroids.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #11

Turn your speakers up.

http://youtu.be/7FlB4QmbMDo

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Well, boys, I happen to ride a motorcycle, are you going to berate me too? And it's a big one. My bike is quiet, gets 55 mpg, and can pass any car on the rode at any time. Oh, and I wear a full face helmet and proper apparel, always. But I don't belong to a club (they don't call themselves gangs).

I talk to lots of guys with the loud pipes...out of the left side of their mouths they say it's for safety...when I question whether the constant drone bothers them, out of the right side of their mouths they say OH, NO, the noise is behind them!! Behind them!! Then how is that announce their arrival and ensure safety????
So, you probably guessed, I'm not impressed with those loud exhausts. The NYS inspection shops should fail these things as soon as they hear them...and the riders should be ticketed whenever they pass by.

I won't bother to delve into the whole Harley thing, those bikes are decidedly overpriced and underperforming, but hey, those buyers keep a lot of people employed!!

For the record, I have a Kawasaki 900...it's water cooled, fuel injected, belt driven and very comfortable, but I can't find a way to carry my boats with it!

He said he wanted to ride to Chicago for some kind of meet, but couldn't get anyone to go with him, saying it's not safe. I asked "not safe?? You mean the roads? Or fear of breakdown?" No...he says he'll get his a$$ kicked by rival "clubs" if he doesn't have a large enough possie. What is this, 1880??!!
Berate you?? Please don't miss what I am saying. It's not the bikes, it's the whole straight pipe rider attitude... its rude and obnoxious. Every would be rider and club should be required to watch the FAG episode of South Park.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #13
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1894 View Post
Turn your speakers up.

http://youtu.be/7FlB4QmbMDo
But then I wouldn't hear you and I'd run over you Or worse yet I wouldn't hear the ambulance coming thru the intersection....we'd have a collision and someone might die as a result.

Great video Nothing says patriotism like a huge line of bikers.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #14
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
However, if having to choose, I would much rather listen to a Harley than a crotch rocket.
Agreed... if those are my only two options. But how about (c) None of the above?

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #15
mossarden

Last I knew straight pipes are not legal. So how is it that motorcycles can be considered road worthy if they have an illegal system installed? People will do whatever they can get away with. We can' t expect much without enforcement.
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post

As with anything else, there is good and bad. I love a quiet bike with a respectful rider. I actually admire and envy they way they ride; they seem to be more "one with the road.". Loud bikes, as with anything is another story. It's not about safety, it's about being obnoxious and getting attention.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossarden View Post
Last I knew straight pipes are not legal. So how is it that motorcycles can be considered road worthy if they have an illegal system installed? People will do whatever they can get away with. We can' t expect much without enforcement.

Any loud exhaust is illegal in NY, but like so many other laws, is overlooked.

Americade in Lake George used to be a good thing. My only complaint was the number of extra vehicles on the road. These people were nice, respectful and gave the local economy a boost. Now Americade has turned into Harleycade and it's no longer a good thing. All it is is a week of noise, but it's the only time you will see bikes ticketed for being loud.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quite a rant. I suppose I could start a thread complaining about the noise and the fumes of snowmobiles in the wilderness. I wonder how long that would last with the same kind of acrimony?

And no, I'm not a biker. Haven't been on one in more than 50 years. Had A Harley duo-glide back in the day as well as a 47 Indian with a Triumph Bonneville. But ,I have nothing against bikes or bikers in general. Like everything else there are always a few AH's but in most are the same as the rest of us.

Way I figure it, they pay there taxes and for thre registrations and licenses, just like the rest of us so they gave the same right, to drive wherever they want, whenever they want. Thye noise doesn't bother me unles it's 2 am and some idiot is gunning it in front of my house.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
Glen
Check please

I used to ride a variety of bikes. When I was 20 I got a Harley. Lots of testosterone back then and something to prove. I didn't know that much about bikes but I always thought Harleys were the fastest (loud equaled fast I thought). Then one day my buddy who had a Gold Wing (this was 76 or 77 I think) went riding with me and we had a stretch of road to open them up. He absolutely blew me off the road. I couldn't believe it. I rode it for a few more years but tired of it as I got a little older. I didn't have straight pipes either. Not sure how you can stand that noise. In my 30's I became a traitor and bought a sports bike (Ninja). I have to say....that bike was more fun than anything I've ever owned. Unfortunately I live in a congested area and riding a bike like that brought me close to death on several occasions, so my wife said it had to go. I lost a buddy and that was that. When I turned 50 I got the urge again. I decided against a sports bike as my reaction time is probably slowing and they are just too fast. So...yup, bought another Harley. A monster Road King. When I left the dealership with it I thought I was riding a car with two wheels. Just a beast. Comfortable and quiet, but I guess I outgrew the whole thing. A few years ago I was hiking up the Giant Mtn trail off 73 and heard all this noise. At an overlook I saw a procession of bikes heading north that must have been a mile long. Super noisy. Super obnoxious. I felt stupid for being a part of that scene. Having said that I now have fun getting speeding tickets with an overpowered classic sports car.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Quite a rant. I suppose I could start a thread complaining about the noise and the fumes of snowmobiles in the wilderness. I wonder how long that would last with the same kind of acrimony?

And no, I'm not a biker. Haven't been on one in more than 50 years. Had A Harley duo-glide back in the day as well as a 47 Indian with a Triumph Bonneville. But ,I have nothing against bikes or bikers in general. Like everything else there are always a few AH's but in most are the same as the rest of us.

Way I figure it, they pay there taxes and for thre registrations and licenses, just like the rest of us so they gave the same right, to drive wherever they want, whenever they want. Thye noise doesn't bother me unles it's 2 am and some idiot is gunning it in front of my house.
Hawk...I think you don't like the noise either, you just like being a curmudgeon