Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #41
desmobob

"I'm a biker... one of a kind. They broke the mold after they made me. I'm a lone wolf; a rugged individualist. That's why I want a bike like all the other rugged individualists have! A Hardley Dangerous! But my bike is different from theirs. It's a custom... says so right on it. Plus I bought lots of extra chrome stuff at the dealership to make it even more custom! And I put neat little funny stickers all over my black half-helmet to customize it, too. Now, I can get together will all the other lone wolves and gather in huge flocks at places like Sturgis and Lake George Village."

Ugh! I'm so sick of seeing/hearing some of those guys... handlebars so high they can barely reach them; skull face covers, blipping the throttle constantly. Hey biker dude, I'm sorry your parents didn't pay attention to you! It's not my fault. If you need attention so badly, why don't you save yourself eighteen grand and forget the bike... just walk down the middle of the street naked.

;-)

I'm a motorcyclist and always have been, but I love making fun of some of the rugged individualists on Harleys. (I certainly know lots of responsible, well-adjusted adults riding them, too.) I could go on for days....

desmobob
1995 Ducati 900 SS SP
1969 Triumph Daytona
(my first bike was a Harley in 1975)
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #42
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

I imagine there are a lot of people who have the same feelings about hikers, boaters, snowmobilers, atvers, etc, as have been expressed here about bikers. Hell for what it's worth I have a lot of the same feelings toward 46ers.
A wise man once told me that when we point a finger at anyone, we have four pointing back at ourselves.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #43
desmobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I imagine there are a lot of people who have the same feelings about hikers, boaters, snowmobilers, atvers, etc, as have been expressed here about bikers. Hell for what it's worth I have a lot of the same feelings toward 46ers.
A wise man once told me that when we point a finger at anyone, we have four pointing back at ourselves.
I like this one: "We hate most in others what we fear in ourselves" or something like that....

Take it easy,
desmobob
desmobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #44
Alpine1

Quote:
The best post so far regarding this thread
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #45
Gman

More aphorisms and clichés from the mysterious wise old man

What if you pointed with an open hand? More passive, good when communicating with horses. I doubt it'd get thru to a biker club though.

Pointing with a finger does say I'm browbeating you into submission. It's boorish but then a wise old man said for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #46
adkman12986

Must be getting old. 2nd time in 3 weeks I found myself agreeing with Redhawk instead of butting heads
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #47
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
I don't know if he was all that wise...

I just tried that and I only had three fingers pointing back at myself

Kinda like this:

But yeah, yeah... I agree too. This is starting to be a thing
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #48
Neil
Kayak-46

I actually thought this was a thread about bicycles and some sort of special frame or roof rack so I never opened it.

Just read it through. The things you learn, and not just about motorcycles....(had no idea HD's were a POS)

Carry on.

P.S. Great pic Vtflyfish. Reminds me of Ray Manzarek of the Doors. You still got those abs?
Old 10-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #49
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

OK,
I know VTflyfish will appreciate, and maybe the new guy, desmo...
Here's a new to me 2010 Bonnie that I just picked up as a wreck ($2,200!)
No, it doesn't have straight pipes.
Eat your hearts out , boys.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #50
Uncle Alvah

I'm of the opinion that as a society, we have gotten less and less tolerant of noise. Its not really about pure decibels. Hike into a pond to camp and have some folks across the way partying it up around the campfire about sundown and see if it affects your mindset. Look at some piece of rural property in contemplation of buying it, then learn theres a dirt car race track just over the hill and see if your enthusiasm dampens. IIRC, on the Adirondack League Club, "noise"(lawnmower, chainsaw) is only allowed on Wednesday during the summer season. Hell, theres folks down in this part of the woods that ride around the streets in vehicles that have car speakers installed purposely to direct the sound at the surrounding area instead of the vehicle interior. Those folks are my particular favorites.
I frequent a couple shooting ranges that are located right smack in the middle of their town, and there are no complaints from the public, simply because they are indoor ranges, and you can't hear the guns.
For my part, I live out in he country where its delightful to sit outside in the evening and listen to the quiet....unless the Weyerhaeuser mill down the road is doing a run.....then you might as well go inside.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #51
geogymn

Silence is Golden! Gold is rare and precious! Many rush to our Adirondacks without realizing that noise is one of the things they are seeking deliverance from.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #52
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Alvah View Post
I'm of the opinion that as a society, we have gotten less and less tolerant of noise.

I don't think it's that as much as the fact that As a society we have grown less respectful of other people.

My generation was taught to consider if our actions would affect others and to act respectfully. That's just not the case today.

It seems as if this generation thinks there is a Constitutional right to do what they want, when thy want, and how that want, regardless of whether it inconceniences, annoys or interferes with anyone else's rights.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #53
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have a BIL that rides an open exhaust HD with those crazy ape hangers. I rode his bike for a minute, until my ears started ringing and my hands fell asleep!!
Why would anyone do that?!

If you have to try to be cool, you never will be! Better to just be yourself, and try not to disrupt the rest of society as you do so...
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #54
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I have a BIL that rides an open exhaust HD with those crazy ape hangers. I rode his bike for a minute, until my ears started ringing and my hands fell asleep!!
Why would anyone do that?!

If you have to try to be cool, you never will be! Better to just be yourself, and try not to disrupt the rest of society as you do so...
Definition of COOL:: Not too hot
Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 PM   #55
JERSEYJOHN

I been riding harleys with straight pipes for over 30 years, with no accidents caused by someone else. Last year i bought a brand new harley electric glide, with the stock pipes. In the first tree months of riding i was almost run off the road 4 times because the other driver did not know i was there, i have never had that happen with loud pipes. Loud pipes save lives! Anyone that once to deny someone there life just because it disrupts there piece and solitude can go pound sand.
JERSEYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #56
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEYJOHN View Post
I been riding harleys with straight pipes for over 30 years, with no accidents caused by someone else. Last year i bought a brand new harley electric glide, with the stock pipes. In the first tree months of riding i was almost run off the road 4 times because the other driver did not know i was there, i have never had that happen with loud pipes. Loud pipes save lives! Anyone that once to deny someone there life just because it disrupts there piece and solitude can go pound sand.
Great attitude. How do you feel about kids with their car music blasting so loud it can be heard a mile away? That's how others feel about you and your sense of entitlement to be a nuisance. I rode for many years and if you practice common sense and defensive techniques, you don't need the hey look at me noise.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #57
JERSEYJOHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
great attitude. How do you feel about kids with their car music blasting so loud it can be heard a mile away? That's how others feel about you and your sense of entitlement to be a nuisance. I rode for many years and if you practice common sense and defensive techniques, you don't need the hey look at me noise.
i don't have a sense of entitlement, i have a sense of self preservation. If people would drive without talking on there phone, texting, putting make up on, shaving, looking through there cd's, just plane zoned out then i wouldn't need the loud pipe. These are the people, that are the reason for the loud pipes. If they would stop trying to kill me i would take the pipes off. And as for the loud music, it doesn't bother me at all, at least i know where there at and where they are going, much safer.
JERSEYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #58
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEYJOHN View Post
i don't have a sense of entitlement, i have a sense of self preservation. If people would drive without talking on there phone, texting, putting make up on, shaving, looking through there cd's, just plane zoned out then i wouldn't need the loud pipe. These are the people, that are the reason for the loud pipes. If they would stop trying to kill me i would take the pipes off. And as for the loud music, it doesn't bother me at all, at least i know where there at and where they are going, much safer.
By that logic we'd all use our horns as locating devices, just like India. I can assure you that India is not a safe place to drive or bike.

I rode bikes for many years - Norton Commando's. They are not loud but they ARE agile, something your H-D is not. Sorry, but I don't buy your argument that you need loud pipes in order to survive out there. And society does have a right to regulate noise. Maybe you need to get a real motorcycle instead of a loud, rolling anachronism.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #59
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I ride a bicycle and have not found a way to be loud enough to be safe around cars, so I just hope for the best and try to be alert. No collisions yet but a few near misses. I would rather be quiet and take my chances.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #60
darnedsox

Oh boy. As a Red Sox fan, I used to single out Yankee cards from my collection to clothes-pin to the frame for spoke-flap effect. Even though the card prices have tanked, these were late 50's early 60's cards. Seemed loud enough, yet easy on the ears-maybe it's just euphoric recall. Ever tried THAT?....and oh yea , Mom trashed the whole collection from the attic sometime in the late 60s.