Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 01:57 AM   #101
bluequill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEYJOHN View Post
First straight pipes are perfectly legal, there is no law controling the shape of an exhaust pipe. The law is against the noise, which my bike is perfectly legal, just pushing the limit. I don't ride a harley to be cool or badass, i like harleys. I don't ride with other riders, most don't have a clue how to ride safely. But to be so selfish as to put people at risk just so they aren't disturbed for the few seconds it takes for a bike to pass is just plain wrong. I don't the like new super bright headlights, but i put up with them because they are safer for those who have them.
Instead of using loud pipes for "safety", which is an annoyance to others,
why not just wear fluorescent visible colors so all can see you?
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #102
Uncle Alvah

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I don't think it's that as much as the fact that As a society we have grown less respectful of other people.

My generation was taught to consider if our actions would affect others and to act respectfully. That's just not the case today.

It seems as if this generation thinks there is a Constitutional right to do what they want, when thy want, and how that want, regardless of whether it inconceniences, annoys or interferes with anyone else's rights.

Well stated, and, I think, accurate to boot.
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #103
Uncle Alvah

Quote:
Enough is enough when you figure out that if you don't like a particular thread you don't read it!!

A point which I, personally, have reached. For those who have not, carry on!
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #104
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo VR View Post
I posted this back on page 2…

NY does have a DB limit law.
from here(first place I found it online)http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/moto...-noise-limits/

New York
The maximum allowable sound level is 82 decibels for any motorcycle traveling at any speed. This is to be measured at a distance of 50 feet from the center of the lane in which the motorcycle is traveling.
Sorry I missed that. You posted after I lost interest for the first time. I read your older post and it appears that it isn't enforced.

Either way the muffler law trumps that if you don't have one aka a straight pipe and is easier to enforce - no measurements needed.

And most LEO will enforce that one for cars and trucks for whatever reason. Don't believe me, take your muffler off and try it.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #105
rollinslover64

Quote:
so your telling me that the loud pipes aren't loud enough. Harley's haven't had carbs in years.
Who said anything about fairly new Harley's? I'm just saying it's the only bike on the road where you see people leaning down to adjust the carbs and I would think that would be unsafe and I'm saying that your loud pipes do not announce your presence in a potential accident situation. Since you're coming at me making them louder wouldn't change that.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #106
rollinslover64

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
I have been alerted to an oncoming bike that I didn't see but that I heard. Backing out of a driveway, I looked but didn't see, but I heard. I think loud pipes are obnoxious but I understand that perspective. Why anyone who is seeking that "freedom feeling" of riding on a bike would torture themselves with noise is beyond me. I did understand it when I was younger though.
Well you're supposed to be backing into a driveway and not out of it so that was your first mistake.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM   #107
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
First straight pipes are perfectly legal, there is no law controling the shape of an exhaust pipe. The law is against the noise, which my bike is perfectly legal, just pushing the limit. I don't ride a harley to be cool or badass, i like harleys. I don't ride with other riders, most don't have a clue how to ride safely. But to be so selfish as to put people at risk just so they aren't disturbed for the few seconds it takes for a bike to pass is just plain wrong. I don't the like new super bright headlights, but i put up with them because they are safer for those who have them.
Why is it that people who do things that might disturb other people always call the other people selfish for expecting them to be considerate?

So far, every excuse you have come up with has been discredited factualy by everyone who has responded to your remarks, many of them motorcyclists or ex motorcyclists by myself.

There's an old saying that says if your marching on your left foot and all the others are marching on their right, it's not them that are out of step!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 AM   #108
rollinslover64

Quote:
I don't think it's that as much as the fact that As a society we have grown less respectful of other people.

My generation was taught to consider if our actions would affect others and to act respectfully. That's just not the case today.

It seems as if this generation thinks there is a Constitutional right to do what they want, when thy want, and how that want, regardless of whether it inconceniences, annoys or interferes with anyone else's rights.
As long as they're not breaking any laws they do have the right to inconvenience or annoy you when they want in any way. It's called freedom. I don't like the loud pipes but I wouldn't try to take that right away from them. JerseyJohn on the other hand thinks that all of us that don't like the pipes would and I can see why judging by some of the comments. Yes the pipes annoy me but they are not interfering with any of my rights. My peace maybe but not my rights.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #109
JERSEYJOHN

Quote:
why is it that people who do things that might disturb other people always call the other people selfish for expecting them to be considerate?

So far, every excuse you have come up with has been discredited factualy by everyone who has responded to your remarks, many of them motorcyclists or ex motorcyclists by myself.

There's an old saying that says if your marching on your left foot and all the others are marching on their right, it's not them that are out of step!
what you call excuses i call reasons, that is the difference.
JERSEYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #110
yellowcanoe

Hmmm

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...spx?stateid=32
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #111
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
I think we've covered the legality... two laws are violated by most straight pipes.

The issue is that it isn't enforced.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #112
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
From the above:
Muffler
Muffler required; no straight pipes; no removal of baffles; no modification of exhaust system that increases noise beyond exhaust system originally installed.

Sounds pretty clear to me. I was also gratified to see that ape hanger bars are also illegal.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:53 AM   #113
rollinslover64

Quote:
I stand corrected. Thanks for doing the research!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #114
redhawk

Quote:
what you call excuses i call reasons, that is the difference.
The difference is reasons are legitimized by facts. Excuse have no facts to back them up.

Every "reason" you have posted here has been discredited by facts, therefore with no sound basis (No pun intended, honest) to back them they are excuses.

There are tens of thousands or motorcyclists out there. The overwhelming majority do not use straight or overly noisy pipes. My guess is that if you do a little research, there will no more percentage of accidents among them then among the loud pipe advocates.

If you want to run loud pipes, that's your business and none of mine. However when you justify, rationalize, excuse it etc by saying it's for safety reasons, I'll argue your point. I'm more inclined to think that the loudness might startle someone and make them swerve one way or another and cause an accident. I can't back that up factually, but it's as good an argument as yours.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 03-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #115
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Whomever is FOR something has their arguments and ducks lined up. I guess that is human nature. If it's not black flies it's deer flies and mosquitoes. If it's not loud motorcycles it's ATV's. If it's not snowshoes it's poles without baskets. If it's not salt on the roads it's not enough salt on the roads. If something doesn't go as we planned it we bitch and moan until we get our way or make someone else's life miserable out of spite. If it's not loud motorcycles it's the "Captain's Call" on a boat. Why don't we just ban everyone from the park, wouldn't that solve everything? OR we could just wait to see what Heaven is like. OR We can all become better conservationists and become a little more tolerant of other people's needs and desires. BTW I don't feel as I am any more deserving than anyone else but I love and enjoy being in the ADKs no matter who or what shares the space with me. Savor the special moments for that is all we have left.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #116
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Whomever is FOR something has their arguments and ducks lined up. I guess that is human nature. If it's not black flies it's deer flies and mosquitoes. If it's not loud motorcycles it's ATV's. If it's not snowshoes it's poles without baskets. If it's not salt on the roads it's not enough salt on the roads. If something doesn't go as we planned it we bitch and moan until we get our way or make someone else's life miserable out of spite. If it's not loud motorcycles it's the "Captain's Call" on a boat. Why don't we just ban everyone from the park, wouldn't that solve everything? OR we could just wait to see what Heaven is like. OR We can all become better conservationists and become a little more tolerant of other people's needs and desires. BTW I don't feel as I am any more deserving than anyone else but I love and enjoy being in the ADKs no matter who or what shares the space with me. Savor the special moments for that is all we have left.
\
Amen brother
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM   #117
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
That's exactly what I am talking about. Being aware of how our actions affect others. Theres a reason there is a noise law. That reason is that unnecessary loudness affects most people. Therefore we "should be more tolerant of other peoples needs and desires", especially when they are in the majority. Thats just common decency, a trait which I find is disappearing.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #118
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
That's exactly what I am talking about. Being aware of how our actions affect others. Theres a reason there is a noise law. That reason is that unnecessary loudness affects most people. Therefore we "should be more tolerant of other peoples needs and desires", especially when they are in the majority. Thats just common decency, a trait which I find is disappearing.
I know we attract a lot of guests and if they are bikers I hope they will be considerate. However, I would like to see our message get out to the masses.
I feel that we may be preaching to the choir here. We already have enough thunder in the mountains and yet there are still decent people out there both residents and guests. Peace to all who enjoy the peace.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #119
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
Loud pipes are, at least in some cases , the bikers way of telling you to go" F" yourself. It's a freedom thing for them.

No doubt, but it is an interesting peek into the mindset of someone equating freedom with making noise. It's pretty natural for teenagers to act out, but adults doing it are just bores.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #120
darnedsox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=butZyxI-PRs