Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
greenebr

Any GPS recommendations?

I am looking into purchasing a GPS and have read some reviews online, but figured I could get some good feedback/advise here.

The DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 has some good reviews, but Garmin seems like the most reliable manufacturer. Does anyone have experience with either? Should I get the DeLorme? Which Garmin model should I look at?

I'm looking to spend in the $150-$250 range and would like something that would work well with hiking on and off trails.

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
greenebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Garmin over DeLorme for sure.

$150 - $250 will get you a unit, but you still have to purchase the maps which are another hundred. or in the case of the models that take the sd cards, I'm not sure of the price.

You need to do your homework as to how to load the maps onto the gps. Do you need to purchase a cable? Does it come with any preloaded maps? Topo or street? Hiow much is the software or the memory card with the maps on it?

hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
EastOfMidnight

Garman GPSMAP 76Cx is a jack of all trades GPS that can be bought for under $200. Lots of maps available and it's waterproof, too.
EastOfMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
dpc34

I love my VistaHCx use it for everything--hunting ,hiking and kayaking..look around someone will have the maps for you..I also have 2 Rhinos that I use for hunting. Garmin is tops on my list...good luck
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
...but you still have to purchase the maps which are another hundred. or in the case of the models that take the sd cards, I'm not sure of the price.
If you want tiny screen maps of limited value, then you have to purchase maps. But you really don't have to purchase maps at all for any GPS to give you the information a GPS is designed to give you. Get more information from real maps, which any backcountry navigator will tell you you need to have anyway, along with a compass and knowledge to use them, regardless of what you pay for a GPS and its digital maps.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

I have a buddy who is looking for an inexpensive gps for work that can measure distances...for example, between telephone poles. Are modern gps's accurate enough or does he need to keep running the old measuring wheel? I too am just starting to research gps's for hiking...so thanks to greenebr for asking the question!
Scott
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Luke 12:7
solve4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
JJW

The best price in a quick search for a Garmin Vista HCx with case and Topo and Micro SD card was here:

http://www.marineboatsupplies.com/ga...128mb-micro-sd

for $263

I had never heard of marine boat supplies before the search.

Good Luck,
John

Last edited by JJW; 01-10-2011 at 02:28 PM..
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by solve4x View Post
I have a buddy who is looking for an inexpensive gps for work that can measure distances...for example, between telephone poles. Are modern gps's accurate enough or does he need to keep running the old measuring wheel? I too am just starting to research gps's for hiking...so thanks to greenebr for asking the question!
Scott
Measure distances down to what?. In engineering where millimeters count and tolerances are small..no.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
If you want tiny screen maps of limited value, then you have to purchase maps. But you really don't have to purchase maps at all for any GPS to give you the information a GPS is designed to give you. Get more information from real maps, which any backcountry navigator will tell you you need to have anyway, along with a compass and knowledge to use them, regardless of what you pay for a GPS and its digital maps.
Why is this even brought up? If you are a GPS user you can dowload many maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com. Free.

Maps on a GPS, paper map and compass have different duties. The mapping feature is useful when looking for small things in a mass of many identical things. Such as islands in the boreal forest with no other geographical markings or when you cant see a thing for the trees..and the path is not marked. Or the Everglades. I get lots of use with my mapping GPS in my backyard (6 sq mi of woods with paths..none marked and none are on topo sheets).
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
fisher39

I've got a Garmin GPSMap 60Cx and love the thing. The maps on it aren't that detailed, but detailed enough so that I hardly ever reference my topo maps (which I always carry, along with my compass). I use the tracking feature and the BaseCamp software to create maps of roads, trails, slots through blowdown, etc. that aren't on the topographical maps.

Surely as Wldrns says you can get by with just the coordinates, but I much prefer being able to glance at the GPS I have tethered to my beltloop rather than having to pull out the map as well.

As yellowcanoe points out, there are plenty of places where the orienting features are minimal and a map and compass fall short (in the Adirondacks, thick, extensive spruce swamps are the main place in my experience).
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #11
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

Like the distance between telephone poles to the nearest foot?
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Old 01-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by solve4x View Post
Like the distance between telephone poles to the nearest foot?
You'll likely need to stick to the measuring wheel for that level of precision.

If you've got $29,620 to spare you can get a GPS system that surveyors use - http://www.martininstrument.com/trim...nd-flexibility - it looks like the tolerance is +/- 20 mm (?!).

Personally, I can deal with a few yards of error!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Why is this even brought up?
Because I was responding to a previous post that I quoted, stating the OP would have to (emphasis added) purchase maps for an additional hundred bucks on top of the price of a GPS. Yes I know you can get maps for free, but that is not what was implied that the OP had to do. You don't have to buy (or use) internal maps or even buy a mapping GPS at all for a GPS to be useful, particularly if on a limited budget.

Last edited by Wldrns; 01-10-2011 at 09:02 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #14
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I have a Garmin 60CSx, though it may be out of your price range. I will say that it has excellent reception in any weather and nearly any canopy. Once you have a GPS unit, you may find it useful for all kinds of other duties...suppose you were going on a 100 mile bicycle ride and wanted to accurately record your exact route and climbing and descending for training...or maybe your are fine tuning the rigging on your sailboat and need to track your VMG...or maybe you have a 35 year old Jeep with alternate transmission, transfer case, gearing and tires and need to calibrate your speedometer...

you get the idea.

My favorite use is to relive the trip at home in combination with the photos and weakening memory.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
kayakrski

Hey Solve. Tell your buddy to look into a distance meter if he's looking for that kind of measurement accuracy and doesn't feel like using a tape or wheel. They can be had for under $500. Of course you need a clear line of sight to use it..... unlike gps. For that kind of accuracy in a gps you'd need to spend at least $3-5k and you wouldn't get 1 foot accuracy in the trees without processing the data afterwards.

Gregg
Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
My favorite use is to relive the trip at home in combination with the photos and weakening memory.
Data collection, rather than navigation is what I like most about it and use it most consistently for as well. I import my tracks into Google Earth, which has a nice scrolling feature so you can easily see what you were doing within a given segment of time. For the photo album, I print out a picture of my track, and then follow it with "on the ground" pictures of what I saw along the way.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

Thanks for the suggestion Kayak
Good point fisher
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
EagleCrag

Greenebr: I just bought an eXplorist 100 online for $36. Its made by Magellan and is their bottom of the line GPS. I had one of the yellow eTrex models and there is no comparison. The eXplorist will track 12 satellites vs. the 4 of the eTrex (I had an older model) and is far more accurate. It does everything I want it to do for hiking, hunting and offroad work. It does not provide for a topo map inside, but I question the value of a topo map on such a small screen anyway. You cannot connect this model to a computer either if you wish to download coordinates etc. You can program them into the GPS though and it will store routes, waypoints etc. One feature I would recommend no matter what GPS you settle on is to insure it is WAAS enabled. GPSs that have that are far more accurate and acquire satellites better. I believe that to be the reason I like the eXplorist much more that the eTrex. The eTrex will only track 4 satellites and I often have difficulty acquiring 3 with it.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #19
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

My buddy ended up going with a range finder/distance meter from Cabela's. Worked great with accuracy within a foot...all for about $250. Sure beats running a measuring wheel over snow covered ground, ditches, etc.
Thanks for the idea Kayarski!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #20
crkmeup

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Greenebr: I just bought an eXplorist 100 online for $36. Its made by Magellan and is their bottom of the line GPS. I had one of the yellow eTrex models and there is no comparison. The eXplorist will track 12 satellites vs. the 4 of the eTrex (I had an older model) and is far more accurate. It does everything I want it to do for hiking, hunting and offroad work. It does not provide for a topo map inside, but I question the value of a topo map on such a small screen anyway. You cannot connect this model to a computer either if you wish to download coordinates etc. You can program them into the GPS though and it will store routes, waypoints etc. One feature I would recommend no matter what GPS you settle on is to insure it is WAAS enabled. GPSs that have that are far more accurate and acquire satellites better. I believe that to be the reason I like the eXplorist much more that the eTrex. The eTrex will only track 4 satellites and I often have difficulty acquiring 3 with it.
$36 for a GPS is a great deal. Your comments about the ETrex are only for the older model. All of newer models do WAAS. Garmin uses the H for high sensitivity which means it picks up signals better. C for color and X for expandable (micro sd cards).

I own the ETrex Vista. It came with Topo maps for the US and never lost a signal with great battery life. I paid $200 for it with the 1:1,000,000 maps for the whole US. I have purchased the 1:24,0000 maps for my area from National Geographic and that was worth the investment (IMHO).