Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
krummholz

I'm hoping to paddle the Jordan and the Osgood, camping out on each. Also, hopefully we can make the WP trip work out this spring just after ice-out Mike...

My wife's brother-in-law recently told me I can borrow his inflatable kayak, which he claims is pretty lightweight and wouldn't take up too much space in a backpack. What I'd like to experiment with is bushwhacking to some of the more remote ponds, flows, and swamps that don't seem to get much visitation (at least by watercraft) and check out some of the views from the water. Some of these are in the Western High Peaks (ex. Round Pond east of Long and north of Catlin Lake) and Dix Mtn. Wldrns (ex. a mile long area that I call the West Inlet Flow). Of course there are a few others that I'll keep to myself for now In many cases I'd like to combine these paddles with other hikes/ascents. A lot of people complain that the high peaks area gets overused, which I don't deny, but it's such a vast wilderness that there are huge tracts that see virtually no use. Most of the waters that I have in mind will require pretty harsh bushwhacking and careful navigation to reach and are close to wldns boundaries yet still legal.

Wish me luck.....
krummholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:23 AM   #22
John P

My Little Tupper lake trip.

We'd have worried more if we'd heard about the wind and waves. Luckily we were in blissful ignorance.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Boundary Waters (Fingers Crossed)
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
Skinn

So far a trip in the spring up the Oswegatchie for some fishing and an Autumn trip into Lows lake for a week of camping with a small group. I am sure there will be many more but those are already planned out trips.
Skinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
bethfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Boundary Waters (Fingers Crossed)
You go Hawk! I hope you are able to do it. We've never been, but it sounds like a great trip. There is an excellent Outfitter in Ely, Minnesota if you need any help with planning(permits, maps, info. etc.) or gear. http://www.piragis.com
We're hoping it happens for you-take some pictures!
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #26
John P

I think of a trip to the Boundary Waters for a canoeist as like going to Mecca if you're a Muslim. Everyone ought to do it at least once in a lifetime. I still haven't; maybe one of these years before I'm too decrepit.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
kayakrski

Hey Rio, is that Mike from down around Northampton?
Old 01-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #28
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P View Post
I think of a trip to the Boundary Waters for a canoeist as like going to Mecca if you're a Muslim..
Not really.. but it's comparatively cheap. Its a long drive for me and I pass by some spectacular Canadian paddling. The overcrowding in some areas of BWCA drives me nuts. I prefer areas where I know I won't see anyone for the duration of my trip and the biggest challenge re campsites is do they exist vs. are they taken. (Usually there is no map of campsites ...sometimes portages are unmapped too)

I've been to the BWCA a few times..and other further north in Canada areas some fifty to sixty times. Wabakimi and Woodland Caribou are two of my favorites. Wabakimi is bigger than Quetico and BWCA put together with two percent of the usage. Last year there were some 1000 camper nights.

In the ADKs there will be two trips each of four or five days. Woodland Caribou for 30 days...possibly a fly in. And some other paddling like Florida and South Carolina and the Green River in Utah.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #29
Dutch Dave

I'm thinking about a September trip (coming from Europe) of about 10 days. Thinking of thee St Regis area. I was there about 22 years ago and really enjoyed it. At the moment I'm gathering information on canoe rental places in that area.
Dutch Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #30
bethfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dave View Post
I'm thinking about a September trip (coming from Europe) of about 10 days. Thinking of thee St Regis area. I was there about 22 years ago and really enjoyed it. At the moment I'm gathering information on canoe rental places in that area.
St. Regis Canoe Outfitters
http://www.canoeoutfitters.com
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #31
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Dave View Post
Brian McDonnell (Mac) at MacsCanoe is located very close to the area. He is director of several Adirondack canoe races, including the 90-miler, and he has paddled the Yukon races twice. Besides that, he is a teddy-bear of a knowledgeable nice guy. You can't go wrong with either Dave at St. Regis Outftters, or with Mac.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #32
spidennis

I usually start off my summer season with the Long Lake to Tupper Lake route (8 hours this time). Then I'll do my new favorite, The Whitney Loop, starting and ending in (Big) Tupper Lake. This year I'll include the Oswegatchie and Cranberry Lake sections in that trip. If indeed that wire across single shanty is gone then I'd like to see what's up there. So far, the lower single shanty is my all time favorite section! and of course there is the 90 miler. I also want to portage into a new area, Trout Pond will be on that list of new places.

But before I get up to the Dacks I got other fish to fry. Early June I'll be in northern Florida for the 370 mile Cross Florida Challenge which includes a 40 mile road portage that I'll do in my CD Extreme. Finishing this race will qualify me for the 1200 mile Ultimate Florida Challenge in 2012. (but I'll sail and row in the UFC).

Until all this happens I'm still paddling and training here on south padre.
Traded my surfski for this sea kayak.

spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #33
Robin

A spring trip to Lows, a fall (late October) paddle in deer camp with a heated wall tent, LTL, and at least one trip in Canada, leaning towards WCPP again.
BTW, Woodland Caribou Prov Park is worth the extra miles over the BWCA or Quetico IMHO
In WCPP I saw 2 canoes in 12 days, caught walleye/pike with ease (I'm an average fisherman at best) and found primo campsites with grass growing in the firepit and beaverwood stacked next to it older than me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04246.JPG (86.7 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04249.JPG (87.1 KB, 139 views)
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #34
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Plenty of canoe & kayak trip plans outside the Blue Line, but in the Adirondacks, I want to spend some time in "The Healing Woods" of Mid-Saranac. Also Lake Lila and the 90-Miler. If I have an "employment event" this week (changes at Gander Mtn.), I'd like to do the Whitney Loop in my new solo canoe that I haven't bought yet, and I'll think of some other trips to occupy my time.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
solve4x
Thankful Every Day!

"my new solo canoe that I haven't bought yet"

Bob
Are you going to tell us what's on your wish list or will we need to wait for pictures?
Scott
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father." Matthew 10:29 "But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."
Luke 12:7
solve4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:34 PM   #36
ALGonquin Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by solve4x View Post
"my new solo canoe that I haven't bought yet"

Bob
Are you going to tell us what's on your wish list or will we need to wait for pictures?
Scott
Sure. Currently, I have a Wenonah Solitude Tuf-weave FG at about 50lbs. If I come across a good deal on a lighter weight Kevlar solo, I will consider anything, but preferably not a little sit-on-bottom. If I decide to buy new, I'm leaning toward a Hemlock Peregrine or a Souris River Tranquility. I did the Lows Lake Oswegatchie traverse in my Solitude 2 years ago and was able to one-time the 3-mile carry, but would like to lighten up as I get older.

Medina? I just bought a 10-foot plastic kayak for paddling the Oak!

46er #5357W
Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #37
yellowcanoe

I highly recommend you paddle both before making a decision.

One I like sort of. At least it fulfills my goals. Sometimes it infuriates me.

The other is to me a complete dud. Some people must like it otherwise it would not exist.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #38
ALGonquin Bob

Of course - haven't paddled any of the prime suspects yet. Hemlock is a reasonably short drive away, but the nearest Souris River dealer is a road trip North. Also contacted Brian at Macs Livery.

46er #5357W
Old 02-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #39
krummholz

I can't say with certainty that it will happen in 2011, but I've always wanted to paddle the Boquet to it's mouth at Lake Champlain. Anyone here paddled it in recent years? I'll surely be interested in some wisdom whenever the time comes......but I also like the surprises that each river holds......
krummholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #40
Dutch Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethfit View Post
St. Regis Canoe Outfitters
http://www.canoeoutfitters.com
Ta! I came across this site and they certainly looked promising. I'll go and get some info of them regarding a September trip.
Cheers,
David