Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

What are you driving?

I alternately drive a 2008 Honda Element, 2002 Jeep Wrangler and my favorite, my 1977 Jeep CJ5.

My son has a 1984 Jeep Scrambler and a 1970 Opel GT.

Daughter has a 1947 Willys pickup, 1930 Model A, 1964 Licoln Continental and a 1995 Jeep Wrangler.

Darling bride, son, daughter, son in law also drive Volvos...

What is everyone else driving? Strictly transportation? Or is there any emotional attachment?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

93 Geo Prizm. It gets me where I need to go. Not sure if it will survive another Adirondack winter, though.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Seeker

Wife has a 2004 Camry. I have a 2000 Corolla that will hopefully die in the near future, but this is unlikely. Our first used Camry (a 1986 model) lasted until 1999, and was still on the road 2 years later. Our second used Camry (a 1994 model) is still on the road (sold to a friend of mine for his daughter). But i want a Tacoma (carry my canoe, hunting, etc.)

edit: I see folks putting up their gas mileages, so i will too. the camry gets 20 city, 28 hwy. my corolla gets only 27/28 hwy, and burns a LOT of oil. it had been a private party lease, and i don't think the owner ever changed the oil. i've owned 7 corollas, and none of them burned this much. it should also be getting about 32 mpg. so that's one more reason to replace it. (i know the tacoma will only get about 25 on the hwy (4 cyl)).

Last edited by Seeker; 03-20-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
ADKHUNTER

I have a 2009 Tacoma. I put an after market rack on it and I can manage to get all my crap wherever i need to go. 4 cylinder. Would have liked the 6 but wanted a little better gas milage. I have to say its sluggish on steeper grades even unloaded. Oh well.

Ed
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
Signal 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I alternately drive a 2008 Honda Element, 2002 Jeep Wrangler and my favorite, my 1977 Jeep CJ5.

My son has a 1984 Jeep Scrambler and a 1970 Opel GT.

Daughter has a 1947 Willys pickup, 1930 Model A, 1964 Licoln Continental and a 1995 Jeep Wrangler.

Darling bride, son, daughter, son in law also drive Volvos...

What is everyone else driving? Strictly transportation? Or is there any emotional attachment?

Fellow Jeeper here myself (05 Wrangler Unlimited). I must say I am a bit jealous of your family car collection!! Lot of good ones in there for sure!

-Trevor
Signal 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

2002 Honda Civic 42MPG
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
bethfit

Cliff used to have a '79 CJ-7 & an "82 C J-7. The '79 had an 8 cylinder! Still kicks himself for getting rid of those. These days it has been a series of Nissan X-terras. Latest is a 2009 off-road. It's a nice mid size that I use everyday for work and around town and works great for weekend and longer get aways. Great rack on the top for the Canoe. The 4 wheel drive system isn't too shabby either. Works well for us. I mostly drive it and he mostly cleans and details it-a great system! He has more of an emotional attachment than I.
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
daxs

2009 Honda Element. Would not buy another. Gas mileage is not great. Loading a kayak from the rear of the car is a royal PIA. I actually did not kayak alot last summer because its so difficult for me to get the kayak on top of the car. I also need to use a step stool to get my bike on and off but I knew that was going to happen when I bought the car. Whoever designed the car did a crappy job with roof rack placement. And although Honda touts that you can use a hose to clean the floor, the drainage sucks and you need to go in with a shop vac or sponge to sop up the water. And dealing with Honda is a pain. They inundate you with surveys - snail mail, phone, email. I think their idea of customer service is to piss off the customer.
daxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
Willie
46er #5193W

Nothing. Haven't owed a vehicle since the last century.

Reminds me of that French song..."Un kilomètre à pied, ça use, ça use. Un kilomètre à pied, ça use les souliers...."
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Dick
somewhere out there...

Mostly a Toyota Prius now. If snowy/icy and/or unknown trailhead, we often drive our Subaru Outback (lousy gas mileage). The only car we ever had an "emotional" attachment was our first one years ago (VW bug). When on its last legs it used more oil than gas, but we loved it and even named it.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
crkmeup

2000 Honda Civic. 30 mpg and very low cost to maintain. No attachment except its low impact on my wallet. Going to replace it with an AWD next year. Amazing that it is still worth 3-5 k after 11 years on the road. Will be sticking with a Honda, Toyota, or Subaru...was thinking about the Pilot because of the dog, mud, boy scouts, and mud. Good to know hosing it out is not as advertised.
crkmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

A 2002 Ford Focus Wagon (34 mpg highway and the most cargo room in it's class, fun to drive and very reliable), a 2005 Honda CRV (27 mpg highway and that Honda reliability) and a 2003 Chevy Silverado extended cab truck (18 mpg highway - ouch) for those tough jobs. Knock on wood.........all have been great vehicles.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Vermont Scott

Right now it's a 2010 Subaru Forester and I love it! I was trying to decide between the Forester and the Honda Element in December of 2009 and I'm glad I went with the Forester. Before the Forster it was a couple of Honda Civics, great on gas but crap in the snow and a little too small for my 6' 5" body. Before that it was a Camry that was a money pit-hated that car. Before that it was a Subaru Hatchback with on the fly 4 WD, absolutely LOVED that car. Before that a '65 Mustang that needed work but it was a classic.

Without a doubt both Subarus beat the pants off the other cars for getting to remote trailheads ; )

Scott
Old 03-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
kayakrski

2001 Jeep Cherokee. I'm on my second one and really wish they didn't stop making them. It could definitely be better on gas though.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

'04 Durango w/ 5.7l - I am amazed at this vehicle. It has somewhere in the neighborhood of 340HP with around 375 lb/ft of torque (built on a truck chassis). Rated for towing 9000lbs and still gets well over 20mpg on the highway. Around town the mileage isn't so hot: 14mpg. Also - you could fit a whole football team inside this thing... lots of interior room.

'87 Bronco II , 5spd, v6 - I absolutely love this vehicle, it is very fun to drive - like a jeep in a way. I had to turn in the plates for her (Sweet Betty) this morning actually Gets about 17mpg around town and 24mpg on the highway

'06 Vue, v6 - This is another fantastic vehicle. Gets great mileage both around town and on the highway and is very roomy. Handles well and is pretty decent in the snow with all season tires.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
richard1726
46er2618

For those thinking about a Subaru
I drive a 2000 Outback wagon with 290,000+ miles. You better like it because it will last a long time. (I have replaced one wheel bearing, 3 timing belts, brakes-3 times, 1 radiator, Catalytic converter 3 times . Still gets 28 to 32 MPG-HWY, (Mobil 1, changes every 10,000 miles, synthetic oils and grease replaced once in the auto transmission at 20,000 miles.))
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #17
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1726 View Post
Mobil 1, changes every 10,000 miles, synthetic oils and grease replaced once in the auto transmission at 20,000 miles.
I am a firm believer in the mobile 1 synthetic oils.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal 600 View Post
Fellow Jeeper here myself (05 Wrangler Unlimited). I must say I am a bit jealous of your family car collection!! Lot of good ones in there for sure!

-Trevor
Thanks...my CJ5 was my daily driver for about 10 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethfit View Post
Cliff used to have a '79 CJ-7 & an "82 C J-7. The '79 had an 8 cylinder! Still kicks himself for getting rid of those.
I had a 1972 Land Rover 88 that I sold for next to nothing, I really still regret letting it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxs View Post
2009 Honda Element. Would not buy another. Gas mileage is not great.
I'm on my 2nd Element...it's perfect for my needs, but I would likeless pep and better mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakrski View Post
2001 Jeep Cherokee. I'm on my second one and really wish they didn't stop making them. It could definitely be better on gas though.
One of the guys here (Brawnyman) has a 5 speed Cherokee with a high flow exhaust and cat...he gets 23 mpg on the highway!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp View Post
'87 Bronco II , 5spd, v6 - I absolutely love this vehicle, it is very fun to drive - like a jeep in a way. I had to turn in the plates for her (Sweet Betty) this morning actually Gets about 17mpg around town and 24mpg on the highway
My daughter had one of those Broncettes...she installed lock out hubs in the front axle, she regularly got 29 mpg on the highway.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #19
Alpine1

I have a 2007 4Runner. It has a 6 cylinder and gets 24 mpg if you keep your foot out of the throttle. That is pretty good for a mid size SUV. It hauls kayaks and all the camping gear two people could need for weekend fun in the Adirondacks.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Curtis J

2009 Silverado
Curtis J is offline   Reply With Quote