Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Rusty and the Maniac

Canoe rack for truck cap?

So the next boat I'm getting is gonna be a 14' Radisson... which I need a way to transport. I've got an 06 tundra with a fiberglass cap on a 6 1/2 ft bed, and I just toss my hornbeck in the back and let it hang out to get it around, which is the same thing I used to do with my old town pack, both boats are small enough that that works ok, but a 14'er is gonna be too big for that to work. So, I need a rack of some type. I would prefer to get a rack that I can install myself and have been looking at the thule ones, but I could go with anything that works. Has anybody installed a rack on their cap? Anybody have preferences on what works? any pointers? I've got till iceout to get this figured out, so lemme know what you guys think.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
ADKpete

Does the cap have to stay on? if it doesn't I use a "trac rack" system I bought at lowes - It really works nice and can be set up for almost any truck. If the cap has to stay on you will have to probably rig up some kind of bracing for the cap so the rack and canoe won't crush it, not that what you're carrying is that heavy but just going over the rougher roads could create problems.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

I have an '00 Tundra with a 6.5 foot box. I installed fake raingutters and my existing Yakima bars.

There are a couple of options. One is to have a rack on the cap and another on the cab.This has the advantage of both stems overhanging the front and rear and you can use low towers. I live on a camp road and access canoe areas on logging roads. There is too much twisting with that arrangement.

So both racks are on the cap. One thing about that arrangement is in order not to hit the top of the truck you will need high towers. And the stern of the boat overhangs the back so parking in congested areas can be an issue. As I live in the woods, its not an issue for me. Travelling I back into motel parking spaces.

My cap is an '00 Jeracho. Its not cracked. I managed to lose track of the bars under a foot of snow and drove into a low overhead garage ripping both racks off. The fake raingutters were bent so we decided to replace them. There was no damage to rack or cap.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
richard1726
46er2618

I've got a 2001 Tundra, 6.6' bed, 175,000 miles and a Leer top. I put a Yakama rack with rails attached it the top. The bars are adjustable and the rails distribute the load. I have grossly overloaded the bars, big fiberglass roof pod (7 x 3 feet) 17 ft Royalex canoe, and two mountain bikes. Seemed to handle the load fine, just have to be careful when loading the canoe, it is fairly close to the cab part of the truck.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
dpc34

I suspect that a 14' canoe will land in the middle or the roof of your truck....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
kayakrski

I have a set of Yakima racks all set up to attach to rain gutters. I believe all you would need to set them up on your cap is a set of the rain gutter rails. I used a similar system on my old toyota and was very happy with it. If your interested in buying them send a pm.

I hope it was ok to post those here.

Gregg
Old 02-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Rich Lockwood

My experience

I have hauled 12-16 ft canoes on my 2004 ford ranger for years with the front bar on the cab and the rear fastened to a homade angle iron acoss the back of the cap with no problems. Some trucks may be less stiff,but I went some pretty nasty places with mine with no issues. I loaded them with little overhang in the rear so I could open the cap window. I really like a long span between bars.
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
bluequill

Ditto on the false raingutter brackets. I've had Thule racks on my F150 cap for quite a few years with no problem/ no leaks. They were easy to install too, just drill a couple of holes and bolt the raingutter brackets down with the bar and risers attatched.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
Rusty and the Maniac

Thanks for the ideas and input everyone. I was planning on getting a set of rain gutters or the bases that drill right into the top of the cap, and then I went to gander mtn today and found a set of thule tb60 base tracks, which are the long tracks that screw into the top of the cap and make it so you can adjust the racks. Gander is phasing out thule stuff and I got the tracks for 30 bucks!! (retail 130) Now I just need to order the rest of the stuff that goes on the tracks and I'm all set! Oh, and I need a warm day to install it all, but that shouldn't be much of a problem this year! Oh, then I need to get the Radisson... (but that'll be the next project!)