Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2011, 11:42 PM   #21
rADK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Whoa - 'zac's back!

Isn't the problem that the invasion of the Euro-bees began the decimation of the native bees (sounds like a familiar story)?
From what I understand there are no honeybees native to the US, they all originated in Africa. First they spread to Europe in two separate migrations, and in the 1600s two types were brought here from Europe by settlers. Then in the 1800s Italian ones came. And now, the "Africanized" honeybee, which incredibly aggressive compared to our domesticated bees, has made its way all the way from Brazil, displacing the regular bees and sometimes interbreeding with them.

The story behind Africanized bees is kind of interesting, they know exactly where they came from, and even wanted to set up a Euro-honeybee "blockade" in Panama to stop them.

Quote:
The Africanized bees in the western hemisphere are the direct result of Warick E. Kerr, a biologist, and his bee-keeper, who accidentally released 26 Tanzanian queen bees in the southeast of Brazil. They were attempting to create a hybrid bee that would produce more honey in tropical conditions.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ee_attack.html
I guess if this bee takes over, food won't be as much of an issue, but getting stung might
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rADK View Post
From what I understand there are no honeybees native to the US, they all originated in Africa. First they spread to Europe in two separate migrations, and in the 1600s two types were brought here from Europe by settlers. Then in the 1800s Italian ones came. And now, the "Africanized" honeybee, which incredibly aggressive compared to our domesticated bees, has made its way all the way from Brazil, displacing the regular bees and sometimes interbreeding with them.

The story behind Africanized bees is kind of interesting, they know exactly where they came from, and even wanted to set up a Euro-honeybee "blockade" in Panama to stop them.

I guess if this bee takes over, food won't be as much of an issue, but getting stung might

So far, thankfully, the Africans are limited to the Southern Border States, including Florida,Arizona,New Mexico, Calif.,Texas. Hopefully the current belief that the Africans are cold intolerant will stop the spread. Unfortunately, they do interbreed with the Italians and other Euro bees which might alter their cold intolerance.

The a Africans seem to make a fair amount of honey, but they are a bear to work and very dangerous and agressive to the unprotected.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

So, if I read right, all bees are immigrants?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #24
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
So, if I read right, all bees are immigrants?
and most species of earth worm.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
and most species of earth worm.
Sounds like we trully are the melting pot , from the underground to orchards .

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
gi53

Be equipment

If you want to getting in to beekeeping cheaper, Go to the Amish for your equipment. I know better Bee gets some of the stuff from them(frames and boxes). You can get a complete hive without foundation for about $75. They will even put in the foundation if you want them to. They will make anything like that for you. I just got 10 matting Nuc's from them. I am up to around 30 hives now, because of the Amish.
gi53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #27
Little Rickie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi53 View Post
If you want to getting in to beekeeping cheaper, Go to the Amish for your equipment. I know better Bee gets some of the stuff from them(frames and boxes). You can get a complete hive without foundation for about $75. They will even put in the foundation if you want them to. They will make anything like that for you. I just got 10 matting Nuc's from them. I am up to around 30 hives now, because of the Amish.
Got the contact info for any Amish that do that in Upstate/Finger Lakes New York? I have my first hive insulated and ready for the spring. I plan to split the hive early with the first heavy polen flow and for $75 that can't be beat. PM me if you wish.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I,d like to know also.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote