Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
fisher39

NYS not buying

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...tate-s-fingers

There is a story on NCPR about how the state doesn't have the funds to buy title or easements on new parcels that are coming to market. Landowners that want to sell to the state are being told they'll have to wait at least a few years.

I find this pretty darn disappointing. Perhaps the state should forget about buying title to so much of the Finch Pruyn land, and just buy easements to prevent development.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher39 View Post
http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...tate-s-fingers

There is a story on NCPR about how the state doesn't have the funds to buy title or easements on new parcels that are coming to market. Landowners that want to sell to the state are being told they'll have to wait at least a few years.

I find this pretty darn disappointing. Perhaps the state should forget about buying title to so much of the Finch Pruyn land, and just buy easements to prevent development.
I agree with this sentiment. A few years back I was gung-ho on the state buying up as much land as possible to add to the (forever wild) forest preserve. I've now come full circle and realized that wildlife (paradoxically) might be better off with what I would call the "Maine model" of having much of the land as a working forest which is harvested on a regular basis. That approach certainly hasn't hurt the 30,000 or so moose or the many, many snowshoe hares and lynx that are found up there.

I don't believe we need hundreds of thousands more acres locked up as forest preserve which seems to benefit only a few certain select species, to the detriment of many other species.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Limekiln

I mostly agree Pocono. The Forever Wild concept may lead to beautiful forests, but they are not healthy. Lack of wildlife is one of the results.

But lot's of northern Maine has been cut so hard that it's problematic also. There's a happy medium there somewhere...
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
yellowcanoe

Don't look to the "Maine model". It is in real danger and has been for some years. Wealthy people are busy buying 10,000 acre parcels and erecting No Trespass sign. Those are called Kingdom Lots for a reason.

So groups like the Nature Conservancy and the Appalachian Mountain Club as well as Ms Quimby are very busy fundraising to purchase former timberlands to protect their existence for further generations.

Maine does not have the money either to purchase public land. Timber harvesting has passed its former glory days with logging companies allowing public access. There are still plenty of moose but the demand for pulpwood is being supplied by China. Those forests will mature in time and the moose population decrease.

So yes we are moving toward a preserve bought by wealthy people.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Don't look to the "Maine model". It is in real danger and has been for some years. Wealthy people are busy buying 10,000 acre parcels and erecting No Trespass sign. Those are called Kingdom Lots for a reason.

So groups like the Nature Conservancy and the Appalachian Mountain Club as well as Ms Quimby are very busy fundraising to purchase former timberlands to protect their existence for further generations.

Maine does not have the money either to purchase public land. Timber harvesting has passed its former glory days with logging companies allowing public access. There are still plenty of moose but the demand for pulpwood is being supplied by China. Those forests will mature in time and the moose population decrease.

So yes we are moving toward a preserve bought by wealthy people.
I see that I should have chosen my words more carefully. My thought was that here in the ADKs we might be better off with the "easement" policy concerning new lands that become available instead of adding to the forest preserve. In that sense, we could apply the "working forest" principle which would allow certain logging practices while still protecting the lands from the far more damaging permanent development into subdivisions, etc. This might also be more advantageous for certain wildlife species which do not do well in a mature forest.

I fully understand that most of northern Maine (excepting Baxter and some other areas) is sorely in need of some protection from unregulated development.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
fisher39

The easement model just makes so much more sense. For me, the preferred priority is to get as much acreage as possible covered by easements that prevent development, which clearly can't happen with NYS earmarking all available funds for TNC. It seems like the state might be looking out for the interests of TNC, rather than the interests of the taxpayers and protecting the Adirondacks.

FYI, here's a petition for the state to buy an easement on the Finch land, rather than title:

http://www.change.org/petitions/gove...ement-purchase
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote