Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #241
rollinslover64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Well, I see your article and raise you one graph:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...ge_denial.html
At least the article that Ron posted included info from climate scientists.This one was written by an astronomy major who couldn't even put in the last name of the one that created the video.Ron's article showed objectivity,this one did not.Heck,if you go to the "Skeptical Science" page and look at the article he still doesn't put in his last name,only the initial.

After further review of Kevin C. I find out that he is just a blogger who created the graph and video himself.All of this from a website that claims to present peer reviewed information.

Last edited by rollinslover64; 01-15-2013 at 06:11 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #242
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslover64 View Post
At least the article that Ron posted included info from climate scientists.This one was written by an astronomy major who couldn't even put in the last name of the one that created the video.Ron's article showed objectivity,this one did not.Heck,if you go to the "Skeptical Science" page and look at the article he still doesn't put in his last name,only the initial.

After further review of Kevin C. I find out that he is just a blogger who created the graph and video himself.All of this from a website that claims to present peer reviewed information.

Ron,

Ah, I see. So if I post a thousand or so links from climate scientists that contradict your opinion that will change your mind? I think not. Lets face it, we all tend to search for material that supports how we feel about any particular subject. That was the point of my rebuttal. Lay people discussing this is a bit like having a serious disease and asking your non MD friends to operate on you.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #243
cityboy

Quote:
Well, I see your article and raise you one graph:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...ge_denial.html
An observation and two questions.

The vertical scale of his graph (video) denotes temperature anomaly. Basically that is the difference of an individual year from the average temperature from a base period (usually 20-30 yrs). Unless the base period also had El Nino and La Nina subtracted from it (I've never read it anywhere) wouldn't it distort the comparison by "adjusting" them out of the period 1980-2012?

Also at the end of the video the narrator makes the statement that there is no flat period of 16 years and yet the illustration for the straight line on the graph starts at the beginning of the the period (1980). Shouldn't that line start at from 1997?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #244
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
An observation and two questions.

The vertical scale of his graph (video) denotes temperature anomaly. Basically that is the difference of an individual year from the average temperature from a base period (usually 20-30 yrs). Unless the base period also had El Nino and La Nina subtracted from it (I've never read it anywhere) wouldn't it distort the comparison by "adjusting" them out of the period 1980-2012?

Also at the end of the video the narrator makes the statement that there is no flat period of 16 years and yet the illustration for the straight line on the graph starts at the beginning of the the period (1980). Shouldn't that line start at from 1997?

cityboy,

Please read my post. We can all find in graphs and reports what we want to. The most confusing thing is you seem to be on both sides of the issue depending on the responses you get. It's your thread, but it leaves me perplexed as to what you were trying to get out of it.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #245
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
cityboy,

Please read my post. We can all find in graphs and reports what we want to. The most confusing thing is you seem to be on both sides of the issue depending on the responses you get. It's your thread, but it leaves me perplexed as to what you were trying to get out of it.
My point exactly.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #246
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
My point exactly.
This is in answer to you and Glen. If you will scroll back 1 page you will find a request by aft paddle. I'll post my response as soon as both of you post a reply to his post.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #247
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Here's my position - I have no position on the global warming issue, as I posted earlier.

However, as a moderator on this forum, I continue to wonder why a) you've posted in only three threads, all controversial, two hardly related to the ADK's and started by you, and b) as others have pointed out, why your position in this thread continues to vacillate.

So - why are you here? It would appear that you have no connection or interest in Adirondack outdoor activities...unless they're controversial topics such as this or Bigfoot.
Wow.I thought I was confused.... apparently not.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #248
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
This is in answer to you and Glen. If you will scroll back 1 page you will find a request by aft paddle. I'll post my response as soon as both of you post a reply to his post.

I don't think it is difficult to read the responses and get a feel for people's positions, other than yours.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #249
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

This thread appears to have outlived it's usefulness, and will now be locked. If I'm wrong, and you have something USEFUL to add, send me a PM

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:04 PM   #250
Neil
Kayak-46

I agree with Winterwarlock.

This thread is just going 'round and 'round. It looks like people are mining the internet for graphs and other figures, or posting links from somewhere and then other people insinuate that the material is too biased or unscientific to be credible.

Now is a good time to move on. Why now? Because there is no time like the present.

Winterwarlock requests that if you have something USEFULL to add to send him a PM.